House Of Cards (Netflix)

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just started (binge)watching this. Oh my...so addicting. Love this show! Spacey is phenomenal.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Just started (binge)watching this. Oh my...so addicting. Love this show! Spacey is phenomenal.

Ha ha, I watched all 3 season in like a month. It was good and sucked me right in. I love how netflix puts the whole season up at once. Wish HBO did the same. :bang:

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Personally, I prefer my Presidents to not be philandering, homicidal maniacs. Give me Josiah Bartlett any day over this ugly narcissist.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Claire's Russia meltdown to fake Putin was heinously out of character. There is no way she was moved that much to blow a "Nobel peace prize" type opportunity. Suspension of disbelief is one thing, I can't even pretend there's a way to hammer that square peg in.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Claire's Russia meltdown to fake Putin was heinously out of character. There is no way she was moved that much to blow a "Nobel peace prize" type opportunity. Suspension of disbelief is one thing, I can't even pretend there's a way to hammer that square peg in.

I thought they missed the boat in season 3 after the amazing execution from the end of season one to the end of season two.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh I still love the show but Robin wright was saddling a shark in that scene.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I am not all that happy with the direction of season 3.

I don't find Claire/Francis conflict internally all that compelling. It's interesting, but I think they really moved Claire too far off base with several of her actions. Sure, she's not happy but she's also not stupid. 30 years of doing this crap only to have her facade crumble when at the top is kind of silly. The "shame on you" from her to fake Putin was ridiculous, not only for a 1st Lady but a freaking ambassador. Your power marriage sucks...sure, always has. You guys are weird, but powerful together.

While I disliked it, the finale scene with Frank & Claire was on point from Frank's comments. "When we lose, because of YOU" "there is one chair here, and you've always known it" etc. Sorry, I love Claire but not right now. She's dead wrong. Frank did several politically stupid things to put her in power, she flopped and flailed, got played, backstabbed and insulted a foreign leader with potential of Nobel Peace Prize on the line, etc. Frank gave to her, but she couldn't handle what was given. Her failures seem contrived.

They best wrap up this crappy storyline in episode 1 of next season, even if it is just for the public face, because the best parts of this series are when Frank and Claire are wrecking shop together, not getting all whiny and morose with each other.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I am not all that happy with the direction of season 3.

I don't find Claire/Francis conflict internally all that compelling. It's interesting, but I think they really moved Claire too far off base with several of her actions. Sure, she's not happy but she's also not stupid. 30 years of doing this crap only to have her facade crumble when at the top is kind of silly. The "shame on you" from her to fake Putin was ridiculous, not only for a 1st Lady but a freaking ambassador. Your power marriage sucks...sure, always has. You guys are weird, but powerful together.

While I disliked it, the finale scene with Frank & Claire was on point from Frank's comments. "When we lose, because of YOU" "there is one chair here, and you've always known it" etc. Sorry, I love Claire but not right now. She's dead wrong. Frank did several politically stupid things to put her in power, she flopped and flailed, got played, backstabbed and insulted a foreign leader with potential of Nobel Peace Prize on the line, etc. Frank gave to her, but she couldn't handle what was given. Her failures seem contrived.

They best wrap up this crappy storyline in episode 1 of next season, even if it is just for the public face, because the best parts of this series are when Frank and Claire are wrecking shop together, not getting all whiny and morose with each other.

I agree and I feel the next season might be claire running against frank and IMO, that doesnt do it for me. Their evil union was the best part of the show.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also, it's not like fictional Claire wouldn't think like Hillary Clinton did in real life...absorb and deflect while my husband is president, own the power, then run for public office (senate/house) and position for a future run myself.

My bottom line is that Claire just simply isn't this consistently stupid as the third season has portrayed her. She's shrewd, calculating and desires power for herself. She's not investing 30 years in a power marriage to fold when they've achieved so much and the table will begin setting for her.

The more I think, the more I dislike this season.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
He will bring her back in by making her his running mate. That's my guess.

The people love her more anyways. Why not have a Husband/Wife White House?

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
'House of Cards' Renewed for Fifth Season, Showrunner Beau Willimon Exits

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/house-cards-renewed-fifth-season-860223

There's good and bad news for Netflix's House of Cards.

The streaming service has handed out an early season-five renewal for the political drama — but showrunner Beau Willimon will not return, The Hollywood Reporter has learned. It's unclear who will replace him as showrunner. Willimon is said to be focused on writing an original play, according to a well-placed source.

“Prior to its fourth-season premiere, Netflix and [producers] Media Rights Capital are thrilled to announce that House of Cards will return for a fifth season in 2017. Concurrent with the renewal, creator and showrunner Beau Willimon is departing the critically acclaimed series," Netflix said Thursday in a statement. "Netflix and MRC owe a tremendous debt of gratitude to Beau Willimon for his strong narrative vision for House of Cards over the show’s first four seasons. As an Academy Award-nominated writer, he made his first foray into television and built a riveting and critically acclaimed series, establishing his place in TV history. The producers, cast and crew join us in wishing Beau the best in his next creative adventure."

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like MArch 4th is when it comes out.

I was disappointed in season 3 and am curious if season 4 will get back to being as good as it was.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Looks like MArch 4th is when it comes out.

I was disappointed in season 3 and am curious if season 4 will get back to being as good as it was.

Me too. I liked the plot, but found the execution lacking. Eh, show runner leaving after this coming season? Might not watch it, then.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Me too. I liked the plot, but found the execution lacking. Eh, show runner leaving after this coming season? Might not watch it, then.

the tear between frank and clair killed it for me. Their Duo is what made them so compelling.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
wonder what went on behind the scenes this season to make Beaumon jump ship?

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
5th season? Boo, tells me they're going to drag out the Primary/wife feud the entire 4th season. I was hoping this was the final season, a fast paced final season with the primary and the general and whatever brings him down. Now I know to expect the same old formula this show has produced. Things are going to get worse and worse for Frank throughout the season, then in the final 2 episodes he is going to pull a miracle Primary win out his butt... but... 'at what cost?!?!?'

I almost feel like skipping to the end.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Well, I was hoping they would fix the major problem they had from the previous season and get back to what made this show great. I think there were mixed results in this season, without enough to hope it's going to be great again next season--especially with the show runner leaving.

It took half a season and some really schlocky soap opera stuff to get back their dynamic. Once there the season did get better, but the cliffhanger ending was way too contrived and predictable. This season should have ended with the end of the general election, IMO. Unfortunately, it's never going to re-capture the magic from Seasons 1 and 2. The quality just won't be there any more.

HeavyB3

Unregistered User
Reaction score
Oh man. The line spoken by Frank in the season 4 finale. So chilling and awesome.

We don't submit to terror. We make the terror.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you think it re-captured the magic from seasons 1 and 2? That it overcame the crap that was season 3?

The latter for sure.

IMO it's back on the same track as seasons 1 and 2 - I personally love the machinations and backroom dealings aspect of the show and while it can be ridiculous in how it goes about it, the show is at its best when FU is wrecking lives. That poor NRA backed senator, for example...damn, Frank.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson