Hornets want Lopez in S&T

binkar

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Don't know if this justifies its own thread or not, but I thought it did.

Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo! tweeted this morning:

@WojYahooNBA
Suns want to keep Lopez, but sides still unable to come to terms. As a restricted free agent, Suns can match an offer sheet.

@WojYahooNBA
Hornets have worked hard on executing a sign-and-trade for Suns RFA center Robin Lopez, but deal hasn't come together, sources tell Y!

There are various opinions here on Lopez value, but it's obvious the Suns value him and don't want to let him walk for nothing.

If you were the Suns, what would you want in return for Lopez in a sign and trade?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Don't know if this justifies its own thread or not, but I thought it did.

Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo! tweeted this morning:

@WojYahooNBA
Suns want to keep Lopez, but sides still unable to come to terms. As a restricted free agent, Suns can match an offer sheet.

@WojYahooNBA
Hornets have worked hard on executing a sign-and-trade for Suns RFA center Robin Lopez, but deal hasn't come together, sources tell Y!

There are various opinions here on Lopez value, but it's obvious the Suns value him and don't want to let him walk for nothing.

If you were the Suns, what would you want in return for Lopez in a sign and trade?

new orleans' unprotected first round pick in 2013 [pipe dream - but you asked what i wanted]

i say ship him out for a pick or two in the distant future. even if NO turns out to be good they will be assets. and i'd take the gamble that they won't be good and we end up with a nice windfall. either way, i don't think rolo is ever going to amount to much, so i don't worry about him leaving.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
A bad of chips? A ham sandwich? A first would be nice but come on... this is Slobbin' Robin we're talking about here.

If it happens I would bet its for Xavier Henry. He has stunk, Rivers will probably eat up most of his opportunities. Makes sense to trade 2 failed picks for each other.

Wally

Registered
Reaction score
new orleans' unprotected first round pick in 2013 [pipe dream - but you asked what i wanted]

i say ship him out for a pick or two in the distant future. even if NO turns out to be good they will be assets. and i'd take the gamble that they won't be good and we end up with a nice windfall. either way, i don't think rolo is ever going to amount to much, so i don't worry about him leaving.

When motivated, Robin plays very well. 7' centers don't grow on trees and I say keep him and hire Barkley :mulli:as a team motivator. Motivation makes the difference between winning & loosing and how one preforms in any activity in life. Look what happened when Barkley ranted on & on about how LeBron James needed to put the team on his back and carry Miami to the NBA championship. Miami was in trouble up until then.

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
A bad of chips? A ham sandwich? A first would be nice but come on... this is Slobbin' Robin we're talking about here.

If it happens I would bet its for Xavier Henry. He has stunk, Rivers will probably eat up most of his opportunities. Makes sense to trade 2 failed picks for each other.

Even with a bad few years Lopez has more value than Henry. I could see a protected top 10 pick for Lopez. But I still would rather see him resigned to 2-3 year deal around 3-4 Million a year with opt outs, if we can get lucky and draft someone in a few years.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
For everyone who thinks Lopez is worthless and is anxious to get rid of him, I'd like to hear what your more desirable alternative is.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Even with a bad few years Lopez has more value than Henry. I could see a protected top 10 pick for Lopez.

I would be STUNNED in we got a top ten protected pick for Lopez.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Lopez has more value than anything the Hornets would be willing to trade. Losing him would make trading Gortat (if a great deal came along) even more difficult.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For everyone who thinks Lopez is worthless and is anxious to get rid of him, I'd like to hear what your more desirable alternative is.

I don't think you necessarily go out of your way to get rid of the guy but you don't go out of your way to resign him either. I think you could find a Center who in 14 minutes who could average at least 3.3 rebounds per game and has at least an efficiency rating of 6.7 or higher. Of all the players that spent at least 10 minutes per game at center he ranks #68th in rebounding, 55th in efficiency, 42nd scoring, 52 FG% and 37th in blocks.

Point is he is completely replaceable. Are any of those guys available? I don't know myself. It's a long list of guys playing the center position that are better rebounders. I am too lazy to compare to the FA list. If the Suns can't find anybody I would be OK with them resigning the guy. However, if they can find one of the other guys for cheaper than 4M per year??? Get the other guy and save on cap space.

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the Suns could work up a trade for Lopez that involved a first round pick I would be interested. As I view it, it's about accumulating assets for the future so the Suns have enough chips for a major trade when the opportunity comes along.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
http://www.azcentral.com/members/Blog/PaulCoro/167255

After four years in Phoenix, Lopez expressed some frustration with inconsistent playing time. Late in the season, Lopez said he would like to explore his value on the free agency market and that appears to have happened over the past three weeks. New Orleans perhaps has a long memory to opening night, when Lopez posted a season-high 21 points against the Hornets with seven rebounds (he also had a 10-point game in April against New Orleans in 21 minutes, prompting Hornets coach Monty Williams to say he "beasted").

League sources have said that Lopez’s camp believed he could command a contract averaging $7 million on the open market but little has surfaced publicly about any team’s pursuit. New Orleans is in need of a center. Anthony Davis and Jason Smith, who both are considered power forwards, would be the Hornets’ options at center because of Brad Miller’s plans to retire.

There is no indication of whether the Suns are targeting a player or a draft pick in such a deal. Phoenix will have 12 players under contract once Shannon Brown and P.J. Tucker sign and likely will remain at 13 deals with any guarantees entering training camp.

If the Suns were to lose Lopez, they could pursue a backup center on the free agent market but they also already plan on using Luis Scola some at center and Channing Frye has served in that capacity previously. The list of formidable true centers that demand a size matchup is a short one in the NBA.

:shock::eek:

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Good luck to Lopez if he thinks he can get that much. I would rather bring in Blanche at much less than $7Million for Lopez. I think he is an ok Center with a little upside but not at that mark. I can see why we have not signed him yet.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good luck to Lopez if he thinks he can get that much. I would rather bring in Blanche at much less than $7Million for Lopez. I think he is an ok Center with a little upside but not at that mark. I can see why we have not signed him yet.

Are you talking about Andray Blatche of the Wizards? I've always liked him as a player.

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/andray_blatche/

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
IMO the Suns should rise Lopez's value up ($$ wise) and then trade him for a 2nd rd pick or two to the Hornets.

Then the Hornets will have a center that absolutely sucks and is overpaid.

Perfect way to get them back for matching on Gordon.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are some older guys out there that could be productive in limited minutes. Or really young guys. Kind of surprised Orlando seems to have given up on Daniel Orton.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Would be brilliant if the Suns can get Aminu from the Hornets for him.

Aminu would be a great wing for us with his defense and athleticism. He's like a younger, cheaper version of Trevor Ariza.

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
I think buying 7 million dollars worth of collectible comics per year would be more worth while of an investment than RoLo.

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
Hearing Wesley Johnson and a first rounder in the deal to Suns... thoughts?

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
Hakim Warrick to Hornets as well... This might be an epic win..

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn