Hopkins Wants Out?

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
what was different then from now? What was in place then, that could’ve made Hop feel the team was poised for success?
Uhhh, I don’t know, maybe the fact his starting QB won’t be on the shelf for the next 9+ months? Maybe the fact he doesn’t want to catch high-sailing passes from the Trace McSorleys or Robert McDunnins of the world when he has been doing that a majority of his career? The fact he sees big changes on the horizon from the GM to the HC to everything else & he doesn’t wanna repeat that again? He’s only getting older & slowing down. I doubt he wants to waste another year of no postseason-appearance once again.

I have big problems with Kyler just like a lot of others do here, but at this point, the slander is starting to not even make sense. At this point, I expect Keim’s DUI & drinking history was because of Kyler.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have big problems with Kyler just like a lot of others do here, but at this point, the slander is starting to not even make sense. At this point, I expect Keim’s DUI & drinking history was because of Kyler.
Nah. Keim's been getting DUIs since before Kyler was even born.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Hopkins should want out. Good for him. That said, these things can shift quickly. If we hired a HC like Sean Payton, Hopkins probably changes his mind. If we hire a guy like Demeco Ryans...he probably doesn't. Ultimately, because of what Kyler has shown as a QB, you can't afford to deal him if you want to win with Kyler. Brown is a different story. If your plan is to sell low on Kyler, smart to deal everything sooner rather than later.

If we hire someone like Ryans, honestly, trading Kyler to Las Vegas for Carr and picks would be a viable move. It would suck for the first year but it would clean up the roster for a bit and you would be able to make some roster moves if you wanted. It would allow you to move on from Hopkins and Brown if you received good offers and still have a competent QB. I know a lot of people would hate this but you would actually get decent value as both teams would be selling low.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Hellllllll no.
If you can't get a guy like Payton to be his HC, Kyler isn't going to work. At least Carr could give you the chance to get Kirk Cousins level production and you would not be tied to him for 5 years or risk him demanding a trade.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If you can't get a guy like Payton to be his HC, Kyler isn't going to work.
We don’t know that.

Carr is going into his 10th season next season. We know what he is & that’s a guy who I believe is actually several notches below Kirk Cousins even at his best.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think Hopkins wants to climb some all time lists so I would argue his motivation is not just money related.
I agree with what K9 said at least 97% of the time. Money & benefits is mainly & is the #1 priority for these players & just athletes in general

I do think Hopkins is the other 3% though, at least in this matter. I think he’s tired of going through the rebuilds & he knows he’s about to go through another one.

JohnnyCakes

Miserables
Reaction score
I think Kyler has been bad at his job for the past year.

“Doomed” the franchise is funny. The franchise was doomed long before Kliff & Kyler even got here.
well yeah of course i cant argue that, lol.

I just mean that with the cap hit with kyler coupled with his atrocious play its setting the franchise back

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I'm guessing he's unhappy because he got one catch last week and zero guaranteed salary for the next two years.

If Colt gets DHop 12 targets ending with eight catches for 99 yards and a TD, this talk will go away.

Cards can trade DHop this season with a dead cap hit of $22.6 million -- it will free an additional $8 million in 2023. This is basically how and why DHop moved himself out of Houston.
As usual..... this seems like the most correct response.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
We don’t know that.

Carr is going into his 10th season next season. We know what he is & that’s a guy who I believe is actually several notches below Kirk Cousins even at his best.
I feel like we do. What do we know about Kyler? He gets dinged up. He isn't the hardest worker in terms of extra stuff. People need to "earn" his trust. He has a style of football that he wants to play. He is not a good communicator. He isn't a leader. He isn't self aware. What is required for him to change is a complete 180 personality change or the Cardinals bringing in a offensive mind that he "respects" and gets him to change his game.

If he struggled to listen to Kliff, do you think some random defensive coach is going to get his ear? If he thought Kliff limited him do you think a risk averse defensive coach is going to give him more freedom? And I am not familiar with any offensive coaches who are excellent communicators and leaders that are available.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Again, part of the issue with Kliff is that he didn't have a QB to support him as he learned. Why do we think that changes if we get a new Kliff who doesn't run the offense that Kyler has run his entire life or a defensive coach who wants to run the ball and not commit turnovers.

How long do we think Kyler tolerates that before he feels like the organization is holding him back and demands a trade? I would rather give Ryans a chance to succeed with Carr than saddle him with brat of a QB who Ryans has to get to "buy in".

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
If I’m reading it right Hopkins is still owed $22 mil+ bonus. That would all come due next year if he’s traded. I don’t see the Cards eating that much. These players want the big money but don‘t seem understand the implications. To eat that much bonus, I’d want 2 number ones which I doubt anyone would pay.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I would rather give Ryans a chance to succeed with Carr than saddle him with brat of a QB who Ryans has to get to "buy in".
Meh, you're never going to win with a middling QB on a gigantic salary. That might be the case with Kyler, but it's definitely the case with Carr.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Meh, you're never going to win with a middling QB on a gigantic salary. That might be the case with Kyler, but it's definitely the case with Carr.
Maybe but at least Carr isn't a net negative from a leadership and buy in standpoint. Also, you aren't committed to Carr long term as he would bring zero guaranteed money. We would be getting similar production, less headache and zero long term commitment.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Hopkins should want out. Good for him. That said, these things can shift quickly. If we hired a HC like Sean Payton, Hopkins probably changes his mind. If we hire a guy like Demeco Ryans...he probably doesn't. Ultimately, because of what Kyler has shown as a QB, you can't afford to deal him if you want to win with Kyler. Brown is a different story. If your plan is to sell low on Kyler, smart to deal everything sooner rather than later.

If we hire someone like Ryans, honestly, trading Kyler to Las Vegas for Carr and picks would be a viable move. It would suck for the first year but it would clean up the roster for a bit and you would be able to make some roster moves if you wanted. It would allow you to move on from Hopkins and Brown if you received good offers and still have a competent QB. I know a lot of people would hate this but you would actually get decent value as both teams would be selling low.
Hmm. Intriguing

Edit: There was a thread saying it wasnt realistically possible to trade high salary QB for high salary QB though?

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Maybe but at least Carr isn't a net negative from a leadership and buy in standpoint. Also, you aren't committed to Carr long term as he would bring zero guaranteed money. We would be getting similar production, less headache and zero long term commitment.
Yeah, if there were an attractive pivot from Kyler, this is the first offseason I'm seriously considering it. He just hasn't gotten any better, and his attitude is terrible.

I'd like to get him with a new coach before giving up, because he does have some skills you can't teach.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I think Hopkins wants to climb some all time lists so I would argue his motivation is not just money related.
I’d be frustrated playing with Trace McSorely also. If McCoy is back he’ll get the on-target opportunities he’s looking for.

If I’m reading it right Hopkins is still owed $22 mil+ bonus. That would all come due next year if he’s traded. I don’t see the Cards eating that much. These players want the big money but don‘t seem understand the implications. To eat that much bonus, I’d want 2 number ones which I doubt anyone would pay.
It would accelerate the accounting for the bonus, but that money has already been paid out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson