Hopkins' Contract

SpokaneCardfan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Get rid of them early then too late. You don’t extend 31 year old injury prone WRs who have a history of PEDS
I agree, I will be shocked if he is still here this coming season. His contract is just too much for this team IMO this season. Great player but I would rather put that money towards the O line and D line.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We are in a tough situation with Hopkins

If we trade him, we take a $22 million hit. If we don't trade him, we take a $30 million hit.

Neither are ideal, so we either extend him and lower the number substantially or bite the bullet and trade him add $8 million to the current cap number.

It's hard to swallow taking a 10% salary cap hit for a very stinking good WR to not be on your team unless this is a complete rebuild year. If that is the case, then I hope we can get a 2nd, but I'd wager it would be for a 3rd and 5th given his age and recent health related concerns..

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
H
We are in a touch situation with Hopkins

If we trade him, we take a $22 million hit. If we don't trade him, we take a $30 million hit.

Neither are ideal, so we either extend him and lower the number substantially or bite the bullet and trade him add $8 million to the current cap number.

It's hard to swallow taking a 10% salary cap hit for a very stinking good WR to not be on your team unless this is a complete rebuild year.

He definitely doesn’t need to be extended I know that. You’re just gonna end up in the same boat meter down the line with en even older more injury prone guy. Smh. Can’t you make a trade and sign deal where the other team has to eat some of that $$ ??? Honest question I don’t know

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
H

He definitely doesn’t need to be extended I know that. You’re just gonna end up in the same boat meter down the line with en even older more injury prone guy. Smh. Can’t you make a trade and sign deal where the other team has to eat some of that $$ ??? Honest question I don’t know

Only if we extended him prior to the trade, which isn't far fetched, but could limit suitors.

Honestly, we might have to take the hit and use 2023 to rebuild and come out in 2024 ready to compete.

BurqueCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I agree, I will be shocked if he is still here this coming season. His contract is just too much for this team IMO this season. Great player but I would rather put that money towards the O line and D line.
And then what do you do with Hollywood? He's definitely not worth a big contract. So, we would be banking on Rondale Moore and/or Dortch as our #1?

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And then what do you do with Hollywood? He's definitely not worth a big contract. So, we would be banking on Rondale Moore and/or Dortch as our #1?
Brown will get an extension, and doing it this offseson and lowering his $13 million cap hit will make it easier to trade Hopkins.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It's hard to swallow taking a 10% salary cap hit for a very stinking good WR to not be on your team unless this is a complete rebuild year. If that is the case, then I hope we can get a 2nd, but I'd wager it would be for a 3rd and 5th given his age and recent health related concerns..

All of this.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This 100%
Silliness smh he one ped pop away from being suspended for an entire year. He’s aging and shown the last two season to becoming injury prone. A three-year extension put him at almost 35 years old wide receivers drop off a cliff pretty fast and he’s already lost some speed..

SpokaneCardfan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I know he is a great player and would be extremely hard to replace but look how many games he has missed the last couple of seasons due to injury and Suspension. I wouldn't want to give him away. I would be looking for a first. We are not going to be winning a Super Bowl this year with or without him. I would rather go younger through the draft or even free agents. Hollywood is still under contract this year, see how he plays and offer him a contract if he is worth keeping.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

We don't have to take a $30m Cap hit in 2023.

A trade with a one-time $22m 'Dead' money hit adds $8.1m to the 2023 available Cap.

However, restructuring his base salary in 2023 nets $9.1 in available Cap.

This does not require an extension, although the Cards could choose that approach.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
H

Any trade is effective as of the day it's made. If it were done leading into the draft, the Cards would take a $22m 'dead' money hit on 2023 and add $8.1m to the available Cap. There is no getting around the $22m in 2023.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Silliness smh he one ped pop away from being suspended for an entire year. He’s aging and shown the last two season to becoming injury prone. A three-year extension put him at almost 35 years old wide receivers drop off a cliff pretty fast and he’s already lost some speed..
Who is likely to be more impactful over the next 3 years? Hollywood has also been injured. I'll take the guy that defenses actually game plan for at this point.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson