HoopsHype plagerism

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone could think of how this isnt plagearism. Hoopshype posted an interview claiming they caught up with Jerome Beasleyin phoenix and had a talk with him.
http://www.hoopshype.com/interviews/beasley_koek.htm

However, this interview is the same one posted on suns.com. They changed the order of the questions a little bit, and they also altered some questions, but posted the same responses. It looks like they were covering it up so it wasnt overly obvious.....

http://www.nba.com/suns/news/draft03_qa_beasley.html

Just wanted to get everyone's opinion on it, it is a shame I think when people take other's material without giving credit. Hell even us posters on this board have the common courtesy to bring up when another person posted about a subject in an earlier thread!

OP
OP
T

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
Well I wrote them a letter, and attached a link to the Suns.com interview at the bottom....heres a copy

Hello,

I am a daily reader of your site, and I love all the features. I was reading the interview posted with Jerome Beasley by Steven Koek and it looked very familiar. I am also a very big suns fan,and I read the exact same interview on their site a couple days ago. Now, some of the questions order has been changed like the N. Dakota experience is the 4th question on suns.com and the second on your site, but the response is the same. Also there are some differences in how the questions are worded, for example:

From HoopsHype

What do you think the scouts are looking for in you as you go from city to city?

JB: If I had to guess, somebody that can run the floor and just bring energy and play hard, somebody like that. Maybe hit a couple of jump shots and just try to be a presence on the floor.

From Suns.com

Question: What do you think teams are looking for when they bring you in?

Beasley: If I had to guess, somebody that can run the floor and just bring energy and play hard, somebody like that. Maybe hit a couple of jump shots and just try to be a presence on the floor?

The same answer to a slightly different question. I think that we can both agree that the interview you posted is the exact same as the one on suns.com. Now I am by no means an expert, but shouldnt the suns.com staff be given credit for their interview? Maybe if the question and responses where a little bit different, but to me it looks like someone just altered suns.com's questions to make it look like an original article.

Here is the suns.com link : http://www.nba.com/suns/news/draft03_qa_beasley.html

Andy Graham

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great work Graham. I knew there was a reason I didn't want to read that article on hoops hype. It would have been a waste of my time since I had already read the interview on suns.com. :)

Joe Mama

fordronken

Reaction score
The strange thing to me is that no one is listed as the interviewer for the suns.com interview, so, just playing devil's advocate, but I suppose it is possible that the person from suns.com also works for hoopshype.

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by fordronken
The strange thing to me is that no one is listed as the interviewer for the suns.com interview, so, just playing devil's advocate, but I suppose it is possible that the person from suns.com also works for hoopshype.

That is highly doubtful. I just talked to the top web guy at the Suns yesterday, and he said they didn't have time to even post stuff on OUR board here to help us out...I don't think anyone from there works for hoopshype.

They just stole the article, without giving credit.

Mike

Gorilla

Booooya!!!
Reaction score
Hello everyone!! Steven Koek does work both for suns.com and hoopshype.com..... Ocassionally we have email conversations with him..... this is one he sent a few months ago.....

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hello Alvaro,

Thank you so much. May you and your family have a holiday season full of peace and good health.

As of January 6, I will be working in the publications department for the Phoenix Suns. I hope to still write for HoopsHype as well, so keep reading!

Thanks again,

Steve

-------------------------------------------------------------

This doesn´t clears everything but, it sort of explains it......

OP
OP
T

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
Well, I got a response already...

Hi Andy,

As you see the author of the interview is Steve Koek. Steve Koek works
for Suns.com now, but has been workinf for HoopsHype.com for more than
a year. He made the interview for both sites.

As for the transcription of the interview, we just used the one Steve
sent a couple of days ago.

Regards,

HoopsHype

I found that interesting, but I do not see why he would post 2 different interviews on both sites...........kind of strange to me

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn