honey badger torn acl

GimmedaBall

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
We are fans of a violent game. Another young man with a career-threatening injury and a long rehab effort. Let's hope TM has a full recovery and continues in full health when he returns to the field.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is BAD news according to my dad and best friend who are both orthopods.

CRAP!!!

freebyrd

Reaction score
Let's hope he can heal quick and come back full strength.

We need his quickness and good tackling ability.

i want him to comeback better than ever but lets face it it's probably 50 50 at best

poor kid,
ironically on friday in another thread i said he was a future hof'er barring injury

still i hope for the best

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Crap, crap, crap, crap!!!! This is a REALLY bad injury. Expecting anything from him next year is extreme wishful thinking from doctors I trust.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
both will have to be surgically repaired -- both have around the same recovery and rehab time

its just a time thing -- he will be on PUP to start and will likely be a last half of 2014 kinds of player

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like this is the same injury as RGIII, minus the meniscus. Hopefully they learn that you cannot rush him back.

Kent Somers ‏@kentsomers 22m Mathieu injury sounds similar to RG III, who also tore ACL,LCL We'll know more after surgery.

Kent Somers ‏@kentsomers 21m good pt. they don't think Mathieu has meniscus damage.RT @CindyBoren: @kentsomers Also meniscus on RGIII.

1DS

Registered
Reaction score
That is BAD news according to my dad and best friend who are both orthopods.

CRAP!!!

Horrible injury. I am expecting him to start next year on PUP list, maybe IR designated to return. I doubt he will be able to contribute much next year, best case perhaps he can be a spot player during the 2nd half of the season.

What does your father say about long-term prognosis? Can he make a full recovery from this type of injury and what is the likelihood?

I remember what your father said about the Ryan Williams injury and it seems like that was pretty spot on.

Thanks.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Horrible injury. I am expecting him to start next year on PUP list, maybe IR designated to return. I doubt he will be able to contribute much next year, be case perhaps he can be a spot player during the 2nd half of the season.

What does your father say about long-term prognosis? Can he make a full recovery from this type of injury and what is the likelihood?

I remember what your father said about the Ryan Williams injury and it seems like that was pretty spot on.

Thanks.

My dad just said it was bad news but haven't talked all that much with him. My best friend who's an orthopod at the Mayo Clinic though (who also thought Williams was screwed) was really pessimistic. His quote was "I'll be shocked if he's ever able to get back to that level again".

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So will TM ever be the same? If basketball players can recover 100% couldn't TM @ 21 years?

See Willis McGahee, 4600 rushing yards in his first four seasons after nearly having his lower leg ripped off while tearing his ACL, MCL and UCL. Also, Adrain Peterson came back in less than a year with an ACL injury and RGIII had a little bit of a worse injury and still improving from it, but should have sat our the first 4 to 5 games.

Each person is different though. I don't think anyone can know for sure either way and to speculate at this point is pointless with these types of injuries.

hsandhu

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
My dad just said it was bad news but haven't talked all that much with him. My best friend who's an orthopod at the Mayo Clinic though (who also thought Williams was screwed) was really pessimistic. His quote was "I'll be shocked if he's ever able to get back to that level again".

is he taking into account what tyrann's skill sets are? this isn't derrick rose, playing the most explosive sport where all his talents come from the torque on his legs.

or even rg iii in football, where its about his speed. tm is alot about his instincts, ball hawking.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So will TM ever be the same? If basketball players can recover 100% couldn't TM @ 21 years?

yes. he didn't tear his brain ligaments.

If his sole attribute was speed, or quick cut ability, then it's a valid argument that he's going to take a step back. But his game is built on intelligent diagnosis and reaction time. That's not going to change.

It depends if the LCL is ruptured, or just sprained. Has that come out? Ruptured is bad news (in regards to healing time).

Right now, the only concern I have is the healing time...dude will come back as strong as ever and pick right back up where he was at. How long that takes is the clincher. My LCL was a very bad grade 2 sprain, borderline surgery case that did not get surgery, and it's a six month recovery. I'm a full three months in and can't run, jump, cut, etc...and can barely go up stairs and almost can't go down them at all.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
is he taking into account what tyrann's skill sets are? this isn't derrick rose, playing the most explosive sport where all his talents come from the torque on his legs.

or even rg iii in football, where its about his speed. tm is alot about his instincts, ball hawking.

they've both had season tickets since 1988 and are as die hard as I am, so, yeah...they know what his skill sets are.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
See Willis McGahee, 4600 rushing yards in his first four seasons after nearly having his lower leg ripped off while tearing his ACL, MCL and UCL. Also, Adrain Peterson came back in less than a year with an ACL injury and RGIII had a little bit of a worse injury and still improving from it, but should have sat our the first 4 to 5 games.

Each person is different though. I don't think anyone can know for sure either way and to speculate at this point is pointless with these types of injuries.

See Frank Gore who is basically the bionic man with all the knee surgeries he has had :)

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yes. he didn't tear his brain ligaments.

If his sole attribute was speed, or quick cut ability, then it's a valid argument that he's going to take a step back. But his game is built on intelligent diagnosis and reaction time. That's not going to change.

It depends if the LCL is ruptured, or just sprained. Has that come out? Ruptured is bad news (in regards to healing time).

Right now, the only concern I have is the healing time...dude will come back as strong as ever and pick right back up where he was at. How long that takes is the clincher. My LCL was a very bad grade 2 sprain, borderline surgery case that did not get surgery, and it's a six month recovery. I'm a full three months in and can't run, jump, cut, etc...and can barely go up stairs and almost can't go down them at all.

every single article has said it's a torn LCL.

as to his game being built on reaction time and that means ultimately his game won't suffer, not sure that makes sense. He does have pretty incredibly athleticism. he has a burst to the ball that you don't often see which makes his reaction time even better then most players. that could suffer in the long run.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score

as to his game being built on reaction time and that means ultimately his game won't suffer, not sure that makes sense. He does have pretty incredibly athleticism. he has a burst to the ball that you don't often see which makes his reaction time even better then most players. that could suffer in the long run.

Torn is always a generic term so I discount it until you hear the MRI results but I see now the results of the MRI say torn...that's conclusive. Also see he's going to have surgery in 10 days, which is good.

When it comes to the recovery time, the two together isn't that significantly different than one alone. The strength and rehab processes are similar, muscles are also similar to be restrengthened. The clean meniscus is very good, because that is where those "nagging" injuries come from. A ten day wait for surgery to get the swelling down is not a significant timeframe. Initial comments suggested it was waiting for LCL to heal for surgery...waiting for swelling isn't uncommon afaik.

As for it not affecting his game...sure, it is going to have some level of impact but I contend it isn't speed that gives him that burst, its the instantaneous diagnosis. That makes him appear faster than normal. He IS athletic, there's no doubt, and there's always a chance to lose the athleticism. But there are more athletic defenders than him out there that don't have remotely his talent level, because he's just instinctively perfect out there. His actual twitch and reaction time won't be affected, but he might be a small fraction of a second slower in getting to the ballcarrier than he was before...but not enough to take away the advantage his brain provides. Plus, he's a pretty damn hard worker, so I don't expect an impactful athletic step backwards.

Now, put him back there to return punts and you MIGHT see him gunshy, because it's much different taking the hit than giving it when it comes to an injury like that.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It depends on the Grade of the sprain since some spains are still considered tears.

A sprain is a stretch or tear in a ligament (the bands of fibrous tissue that connect our bones at the joints).

Grade I is stretching of the ligament or a very mild tear, with little to no instability at the joint.
Grade II is a more serious but still incomplete tear.
Grade III is a completely torn or ruptured ligament. This is not a broken bone, but can feel like one since it is often impossible to put weight on the joint or use the affected limb.

Keep in mind that he was able to run 15 yards before he went down, so that could mean it is not a Grade III, unless of course it ruptured on the way to the sideline. I had a Grade I MCL sprain that had a slight tear and after icing it I could not put any weight on it.

http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/understanding

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It depends on the Grade of the sprain since some spains are still considered tears.

Keep in mind that he was able to run 15 yards before he went down, so that could mean it is not a Grade III. I had a Grade I MCL sprain that had a slight tear and after icing it I could not put any weight on it.

http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/understanding

good point, technically a grade two like mine is a "tear" though I shy away from saying that because it's a partial tear, and to most people a "rupture" and a "tear" are synonymous.

I could bear weight on my LCL, but I couldn't run on it at all. I could shuffle. On the MRI, there's still some connection but it looks like pulled taffy, very thin with the tears. Still not ruptured though.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
that was the one that led to my question. But 10 days won't do too much in the healing department. That leads me to assume they're waiting for swelling to go down for doing the surgery

Or maybe it was a partial tear and not a full one? I dunno. Hope he can bounce back.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Or maybe it was a partial tear and not a full one? I dunno. Hope he can bounce back.

A partial tear like I have doesn't do much healing in 10 days...but swelling definitely does go down. That's my take (and my hope is it's a partial tear and not a rupture on the LCL....ACL is shot no matter what).