Honey badger long term extension incoming

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
I'm glad they've got him locked up, but IMO $40 mil guaranteed on a 5 year deal is quite steep given his injury history.

The way to get players to accept reasonable yearly average salaries (so as to remain as competitive as possible under the cap) is to offer them more in guaranteed money. Would you rather have seen $15 a year with $28 in guaranteed money?

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Word is they have protection. I feel so much better.

the_future23

Registered
Reaction score
Do the Cardinals have Cap Space to even resign Chandler Jones in the off season

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Do the Cardinals have Cap Space to even resign Chandler Jones in the off season

Easily BUT they're somewhere around 50m under the 2017 cap and that's not including the HB deal. Both guys could easily take up half that though creating other issues.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So they have agreed in principle but I don't think they can sign this contract until they clear some CAP space for this year unless it is very back loaded which would be a bummer.

I'm thrilled to have the Honey Badger locked up for the next 5 years.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
very happy... one less thing to worry about next off-season. now, let's pray he's not the next Bob Saunders (or that we win the Super Bowl this year with him and then to be honest, I could care less what happens to anyone on the team for years)!

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I couldn't be any happier about this... I always wanted Badger to be a career-long Cardinal. But just to keep this real, he is presently on the PUP list. What should be the true, practical expectations of Tyrann for this season? While his previous knee injury was way worse - total reconstruction...He was a mere shell of himself the year he came back from that injury. This season he's coming back from another injury, albeit less severe. But would it be wrong to expect to see the Badger we saw last season, pre-injury?

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I couldn't be any happier about this... I always wanted Badger to be a career-long Cardinal. But just to keep this real, he is presently on the PUP list. What should be the true, practical expectations of Tyrann for this season? While his previous knee injury was way worse - total reconstruction...He was a mere shell of himself the year he came back from that injury. This season he's coming back from another injury, albeit less severe. But would it be wrong to expect to see the Badger we saw last season, pre-injury?
Most normal people not named Adrian Peterson take 18 months plus to return to true form... So I'm not expecting a great year out of him honestly...

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most normal people not named Adrian Peterson take 18 months plus to return to true form... So I'm not expecting a great year out of him honestly...
Isn't that for a major tear though? He's young enough that he could be completely back..

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Isn't that for a major tear though? He's young enough that he could be completely back..

Pretty standard for an ACL

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pretty standard for an ACL
Out of curiosity I've been browsing Google, my findings:

It seems it can be six months to two years depending on the person

Most studies are a minimum four years old

According to older studies, only a third of athletes can fully recover in under one year

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
We have huge cap space next year and still need to work on Campbells contract to create more.

Campbell's a free agent after this season; extending him would ADD to the 2017 cap. I'm not sure if the Cards can do anything with Fitz's number, which is $4.8M of accelerated bonus—resigning him adds to the cap.

So they have agreed in principle but I don't think they can sign this contract until they clear some CAP space for this year unless it is very back loaded which would be a bummer.

I'm thrilled to have the Honey Badger locked up for the next 5 years.

There's always a way to do it that works with the cap. He can extend right now and get a guaranteed roster bonus on the first day of the 2017 league year. Still guaranteed, but no money out.

very happy... one less thing to worry about next off-season. now, let's pray he's not the next Bob Saunders (or that we win the Super Bowl this year with him and then to be honest, I could care less what happens to anyone on the team for years)!

I'm gonna feel pretty good buying my six-year old a 32 MATHIEU jersey at the Red and White practice on Saturday.

splitsecond

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
It's a big contract but frankly it's a better deal than I expected and I think other teams would have paid a lot more in free agency. This is a great deal for both sides, and when you consider what the team has already received both on and off the field from HB, his tenure here is an absolute home run. Everything about HB being bright in here and now extended epitomizes how incredible our front office has become. We are incredibly lucky. And I don't see anything changing from that perspective for a long, long time even after BA does decided to retire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Out of curiosity I've been browsing Google, my findings:

It seems it can be six months to two years depending on the person

Most studies are a minimum four years old

According to older studies, only a third of athletes can fully recover in under one year

People come back in six months all the time and the badger will be back….The problem is how long it takes them to actually come back into form and play like they were before the injury the only one I can recall that was just absolutely a monster within 8 to 9 months was Adrian Peterson it's pretty much unheard of... Do you have other examples? I can't trink of any...

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
People come back in six months all the time and the badger will be back….The problem is how long it takes them to actually come back into form and play like they were before the injury the only one I can recall that was just absolutely a monster within 8 to 9 months was Adrian Peterson it's pretty much unheard of... Do you have other examples? I can't trink of any...
No examples, just curiosity and blind hope. I remember several players coming back fast but not necessarily "being themselves" however I am also guilty of not paying attention to a lot outside of the cardinals. I remember culpepper being one of the first to come back faster than ever but I think that season ended quickly for him iirc

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No examples, just curiosity and blind hope. I remember several players coming back fast but not necessarily "being themselves" however I am also guilty of not paying attention to a lot outside of the cardinals. I remember culpepper being one of the first to come back faster than ever but I think that season ended quickly for him iirc

I only one I have watched closely was Palmer who also tore his for the second time. Palmer said the second one was much easier to get through since he knew what to do and what to expect. I know they play different positions and Tyrann puts more stress on this knee, but for what it's worth.

Carson Palmer, complete reattachment of ACL after a December 11th injury. 34 years old at the time of the injury and missed no time.
Tyrann Mathieu, repair a torn ACL after a December 20th Injury. 23 years old at time of injury

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Are we sure the Honey Badger is normal?
;)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson