Holiday Cards Mock

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I did a Thanksgiving day mock so why not do a Holiday mock. I figure the Cards will be picking around 12 and am basing the mock on that. I will add scouting reports on each guy later.

1- Jonathon Martin, OT Stanford: The Cards will definitely address the OL and need to. Martin is, in my mind, mistakenly falling down draft boards. I think he starts from day 1 at LT. If Martin is gone then I'd go with DeCastro.

2- Kevin Kolb, QB Houston::D

3- Levy Adcock, OT Ok St.: The Cards drafted their future LT in round 1 and adress the right side in round 3.

4- Joe Adams, WR Arkansas: He's an ideal slot WR that brings sub 4.4 speed and is an excellent return man as well.

5- Winston Guy, SS Kentucky: The Cards need to groom a replacement for AW and Guy is a player that can fill that role. He had an excellent senior year.

6- Sammy Brown, OLB Houston: is explosive, thick and fast in the mold of Steeler LB's. 6'2 240 4.67. His numbers say he should be drafted higher but he's rated around this spot.

6- Miles Burris, OLB SD ST: Another edge rushing prospect very similar to Brown.

7- Drew Butler, P Georgia: He's the #1 rated punter and the Cards should get a young guy to be the punter for the next 7-10 years.

spanky1

Reaction score
I like your draft, especially the later round picks.

I would also look at Brandon Mosley/OT/Auburn in the 3rd round

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
very nice draft i like sammy brown pick...i dont like the second round pick

Cardsfanstl

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I like your picks. More than likely they will not go with 2 T with their first two picks even if we need them.

Thanks for sharing

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Good picks, hope Martin is there when we pick. OT position needs to be addressed that is for sure.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I like the draft, not super high on Martin, but between him and Adcock would should have two contributors. This seems like a feasible scenario that the Cardinals would do. I really like Nate Potter in rounds 3, 4 or 5 as a potential LT prospect despite his falling as a prospect. I do agree that offense line should be addressed w/ multiple picks.

I like your later picks, though haven't seen much of Sammy Brown.

Question on P. Is the LSU punter declaring for the draft? Is he even eligible? I think that he is a non traditional student, but my home computer is down and I haven't had a chance to look.

Last edited:

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
thanks, Cbus

I will take a whack;

Assumptions:

Cards draft at 12

I use the CBS draft ranking here: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/TSX/2012

Given the uncertainty with rankings here -- I gave myself a 5 position "wiggle room" in choosing players after the first round ( i.e. if the Cards have the 76th spot for round three, and there is a player at #73 that works, I assume he is there).

Cards picks: #12, #76, #108, #140, #166 (from Wash), #172 and #204

#12: Like Cbus, Martin, OT Stanford. I like the fact he comes from a prostyle offense that asks him to do everything a NFL lineman will be asked to do.

#76 Jonathan Banks, CB/S Mississippi State. Played both CB and S. Good sized at 6-1. This is simply taking the best player there -- and adding an excellent athlete to the defensive secondary.

#108 Jarious Wright, WR Arkansas. true speed WR with a 4.35 40 timing. All SEC first team. A little small at 5-10, 180 lbs.

#140 Emmanuel Acho, ILB Texas. All Big 12 first team. Sams little brother -- 6-2, 240. Can play inside or outside. and yes, a sentimental pick.

#166 Davin Megget, RB maryland. Very productive Rb. Ray Rice type player and build at 5-8, 215 lbs. We have seen what poor RB depth can do to an offense.

#172 Tom Compton, OT South Dakota. 6-6, 315 developmental OT prospect with quick feet.

#204 the other Georgia kicker-- Blair Walsh, K. top rated kicker in the draft.

Seandonic

Gotta love that Cardinal red!
Reaction score
Can Martin actually handle speed rushers?
From everything I've seen and read...yes. You never know though. But then again, even a poor pass blocker would be an upgrade over Brown.

PaulW

Veteran
Reaction score
Some additional information on the OT that you guys were mentioning.

Levy Adcock, Oklahoma State, 6-5, 320, 5.25, SR … Accomplished veteran offensive who was recruited out of the junior college ranks as an OG, plays RT, but can fill in at LT in a pinch and has also worked as an extra TE on occasion; intense player has prototype size and strength with some quickness and good bend; dominating road-grader who brings an attitude to every play; gets off the snap with authority and keeps pads low; gets a real push off the line of scrimmage, although not as effective blocking in space; technically solid pass blocker did not allow a sack in 2010; sets up well with a solid base and gets good arm extension; has a good slide step and some lateral agility, but likely lacks the really nimble feet to figure at LT at the next level; smart, mature player is an education major who wants to coach down the road.

Jonathan Martin, Stanford, 6-6, 305, 5.30, JR … Good-looking LT prospect has had Andrew Luck’s blind side covered the past couple of seasons; has a long frame and while he isn’t as bulky as other top OL prospects has the build to add another 15-25 pounds; more quick than fast with light feet as well as good balance, agility and body control; pops out of his stance and does a great job sealing off the edge; also has long arms and a solid punch; decent run blocker who keeps pads low and maintains leverage; still not necessarily a great athlete and doesn’t change direction all that well and may not have the elite foot speed to protect the edge against speed rushers at the next level.

PaulW

Veteran
Reaction score
I prefer Datko to either Adcock or Martin. I believe that he could be had in the 3rd with a trade up including the Cards 3rd & a 6th. I would like to continue building the defense using the 1st on OLB Upshaw from Alabama.

Andrew Datko, Florida State, 6-6, 315, 5.15, SR … Veteran LT with a great work ethic has started 36 games; has also held up very well facing some of the very good pass-rushing DEs in the ACC; rangy player with long arms; also a weight-room warrior with very good functional strength; gets good arm extension and can bend his knees, but has to work hard to keep defenders from getting under his pads; has the quick feet and agility to cut-off the edge; has a good slide step and can change direction; also an enthusiastic drive blocker who works to the whistle, but still more of a seal-off blocker who struggles at times to stay low and maintain leverage; amissed three games in 2010 with a shoulder injury; outstanding student who translates that intelligence on to the field.

spanky1

Reaction score
thanks, Cbus

I will take a whack;

Assumptions:

Cards draft at 12

I use the CBS draft ranking here: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/TSX/2012

Given the uncertainty with rankings here -- I gave myself a 5 position "wiggle room" in choosing players after the first round ( i.e. if the Cards have the 76th spot for round three, and there is a player at #73 that works, I assume he is there).

Cards picks: #12, #76, #108, #140, #166 (from Wash), #172 and #204

#12: Like Cbus, Martin, OT Stanford. I like the fact he comes from a prostyle offense that asks him to do everything a NFL lineman will be asked to do.

#76 Jonathan Banks, CB/S Mississippi State. Played both CB and S. Good sized at 6-1. This is simply taking the best player there -- and adding an excellent athlete to the defensive secondary.

#108 Jarious Wright, WR Arkansas. true speed WR with a 4.35 40 timing. All SEC first team. A little small at 5-10, 180 lbs.

#140 Emmanuel Acho, ILB Texas. All Big 12 first team. Sams little brother -- 6-2, 240. Can play inside or outside. and yes, a sentimental pick.

#166 Davin Megget, RB maryland. Very productive Rb. Ray Rice type player and build at 5-8, 215 lbs. We have seen what poor RB depth can do to an offense.

#172 Tom Compton, OT South Dakota. 6-6, 315 developmental OT prospect with quick feet.

#204 the other Georgia kicker-- Blair Walsh, K. top rated kicker in the draft.

I like your picks, football karma, but proffer the following ideas (for now).

#12: Martin-OT-Agree-#1 position of need
#76: Banks-CB-Agree-Can't have enough CB's. Might be a "tad" high here.
#108: George Iloka-SS from Boise State (6'3"/207)
# 140: Emmanuel Acho-Agree
#166: Meggett-Agree-Great find.
#172: Compton-OT-Disagree-Don't want a developmental OT. We already have them.
#204: Walsh-Agree

Jay Cardinal

Die Hard Cardinals Fan
Reaction score
Sounds like there is a decent amount of Offensive tackles available, might be a good sign for the Cards.

OP
OP
Cbus cardsfan

Cbus cardsfan

Reaction score
I prefer Datko to either Adcock or Martin. I believe that he could be had in the 3rd with a trade up including the Cards 3rd & a 6th. I would like to continue building the defense using the 1st on OLB Upshaw from Alabama.

Andrew Datko, Florida State, 6-6, 315, 5.15, SR … Veteran LT with a great work ethic has started 36 games; has also held up very well facing some of the very good pass-rushing DEs in the ACC; rangy player with long arms; also a weight-room warrior with very good functional strength; gets good arm extension and can bend his knees, but has to work hard to keep defenders from getting under his pads; has the quick feet and agility to cut-off the edge; has a good slide step and can change direction; also an enthusiastic drive blocker who works to the whistle, but still more of a seal-off blocker who struggles at times to stay low and maintain leverage; amissed three games in 2010 with a shoulder injury; outstanding student who translates that
intelligence on to the field.

I like Datko but he has some serious shoulder issues that are red flags. I've read where he may not pass the medical portion at the combine. If healthy, he is a top prospect.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
I did a Thanksgiving day mock so why not do a Holiday mock. I figure the Cards will be picking around 12 and am basing the mock on that. I will add scouting reports on each guy later.

1- Jonathon Martin, OT Stanford: The Cards will definitely address the OL and need to. Martin is, in my mind, mistakenly falling down draft boards. I think he starts from day 1 at LT. If Martin is gone then I'd go with DeCastro.

2- Kevin Kolb, QB Houston::D

3- Levy Adcock, OT Ok St.: The Cards drafted their future LT in round 1 and adress the right side in round 3.

4- Joe Adams, WR Arkansas: He's an ideal slot WR that brings sub 4.4 speed and is an excellent return man as well.

5- Winston Guy, SS Kentucky: The Cards need to groom a replacement for AW and Guy is a player that can fill that role. He had an excellent senior year.

6- Sammy Brown, OLB Houston: is explosive, thick and fast in the mold of Steeler LB's. 6'2 240 4.67. His numbers say he should be drafted higher but he's rated around this spot.

6- Miles Burris, OLB SD ST: Another edge rushing prospect very similar to Brown.

7- Drew Butler, P Georgia: He's the #1 rated punter and the Cards should get a young guy to be the punter for the next 7-10 years.

Just for s & g, lets say all these guys are allready gone. What's your draft then? I know you said DeCastro. Would you draft any of them a round higher?

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
My mock...

1-David DeCastro, OG Stanford
3-Andrew Datko, OT Florida St. (Also like Zebrie Sanders and Levy Adcock)
4-Emmanuel Acho, ILB Texas(I think you will see him rise)
5-Nate Potter, OT Boise St.
6a-Sammy Brown, OLB Houston (i'm going w/ CBus on this one)
6b-Hebron Fangupo, DT/DE/NT BYU
7-Rodney McCloud, S Virginia

I look for WR and CB depth to be addressed in FA.

OP
OP
Cbus cardsfan

Cbus cardsfan

Reaction score
A couple scouting reports on Adcock:

From Nat. Football Post:
A thick, strong kid who possesses the lower body strength to anchor and the power through his arms to stick through contact. Played on both the right and left side this past year and despite being raw out of his stance, displays natural balance when asked to shuffle and slide and once he gets his hands on a defender he can mirror through contact. He can bend and sit into his stance, but will get upright initially out of his stance when asked to reach speed off the edge. Doesn't stay real compact with his footwork either as he gets overextended and upright on his first movement. However, settles his feet well, sits back into his stance and can anchor routinely on contact. Has a strong lower half and natural short area quickness when asked to mirror, even in space. Extends his arms well on contact when looking to engage, but doesn't display ideal hand placement as he often gets outside the frame of defenders. He can also sit down on contact, re-work his hands and make it tough to disengage. Lacks ideal athleticism toward the edge, but has good enough range to get a look as a left tackle, athletically though looks better suited to play on the right side in the NFL.

Does his best work in the run game where he can really coil up into his stance, keep his base down, back flat -even from a three point stance- and really looks explosive coming off the football. Generates a real snap through hips into contact, gains leverage off the ball and extends his arms well at the point. Can create an initial surge off the football as an in-line guy with the power through his hands to stick and drive his man down the field. Absolutely can dominate when blocking down inside and can take defensive lineman right out of the play. Displays good initial coordination when asked to step and seal, creates seams on the edge and is even a "plus" athlete on the move. Isn't overly rangy, but breaks down well in space, takes good angles and can even drop his pad level and cut his target. At times when engaged will get a bit ahead of himself and lose balance, but is a guy who can win on contact at the point on the next level.

Walter Football:

Levy Adcock, OT, Oklahoma State
Height: 6-5. Weight: 318.
Projected 40 Time: 5.14.
Projected Round (2012): 2-3.
12/14/11: Injuries forced Adcock to flip back and forth between left tackle and right tackle this season. He has had some inconsistencies as gave up some pressure and sacks this year. Adcock looks like a bit of a plodder with heavy feet. Against speed rushers, there are plays where he is reaching after them, and does not display the quickness to shuffle and mirror. To conclude the regular season, Adcock ended on a high note with an impressive game against Oklahoma and defensive end Frank Alexander. Alexander was shutdown by Adcock, and Oklahoma State rolled their rival. He may be best at right tackle or possibly guard at the next level.

CBS Draft:

Pass blocking: Natural athleticism shows in pass protection. Good knee bend and fluid lateral movement in his slide, mirrors any college end. Maintains balance throughout slide, allowing him to shut down inside lane. Willing to attack his man instead of waiting on him, will punch multiple times. Picks up edge blitzers well; does not panic, simply changes angle needed to pick them up while maintaining bend or uses his length to hold off defender until he gets his feet underneath him. Stronger ends get under his pads a bit but anchors after a step or two.
Run blocking: Not a dominating run blocker, but rarely gets beat with quickness or pushed back, either. Effective cut-blocker on the back side. Comes off the ball strong and low from a three-point stance, moves to linebacker if lineman is neutralized. Plays with some attitude, will punch on initial contact and extend after the whistle to show he means business. Lacks the elite foot quickness to consistently get outside shoulder of defender to seal edge on plays run to his side.
Pulling/trapping: Shows some ability to move in space when asked to do so, though it is typically not behind the line of scrimmage. Has experience as a pulling guard in high school and junior college, but is likely fits best as a zone blocker if moved inside at the next level where he can move defenders while engaged instead of trying to hit targets in space.
Initial Quickness: Rarely late off the snap whether in a two or three-point stance. Gets his hands onto his defender quickly, and moves his feet to stay engaged after initial contact. Does not get beat off the edge often, and seemingly always recovers to anchor, push man out of the hole, or get between rusher and his quarterback.
Downfield: Possesses only adequate foot speed and agility to get in front of screens, and will miss targets at times. Gives effort to hit multiple targets at the second level if the chance arises, however. Does not linger on missed block if quick defender gets around him, moves on to next body in front on him. Intangibles: On-field effort and attitude are what offensive line coaches like to see. Academic struggles and lackluster work ethic before 2010 season will be a red flag to some teams.

OP
OP
Cbus cardsfan

Cbus cardsfan

Reaction score
Scouting reports on Joe Adams:

NFP:
Looks smaller and thinner on tape than his numbers indicate. However, is a good athlete who has some wiggle off the line getting into his routes. Sets up his routes well from the slot. Does a nice job changing gears, selling the shoulder fake and displays the balance/fluidity to sharply get out of his breaks with a burst. Snaps his head around quickly and locates the football. However, isn't quite as sharp/precise as a route runner when asked to run routes at full speed, gets leggy out of his breaks, gears down and struggles to generate the same kind of burst. Is inconsistent plucking the football. Lets far too many throws go through his hands and needs to do a better job securing the catch on all areas of the field. Looks a bit weak in the wrist. Adjusts well to the ball and isn't afraid to take a lick over the middle, but looks content to trap the ball on his chest too often. At his best running vertically down the field. Demonstrates good straight-line speed, has a second gear when he can put his foot in the ground and track the pass. Is a tough guy to overthrow.

Showcases some shiftiness off the line vs. press when he wants to get behind corners, but lacks the physicality to fight off defenders when trying to gain an inside release. Is coordinated/shifty with the ball in his hands. Possesses above average "make you miss ability" and can create after the catch. Isn't real physically built and isn't going to break many tackles in space as he gets tripped up easily by defenders.

OP
OP
Cbus cardsfan

Cbus cardsfan

Reaction score
Sammy Brown and Miles Burris from NFP:

Brown:
Might be a little on the short side, but looks bigger because of his longer set of arms. Possesses solid girth through his frame and carries his weight well. Plays As an outside backer in Houston's 34 front and does a nice job as a pass rusher. Possesses a solid first step, can threaten the edge and despite being a little tight once he gains a step can drop his pad level and get around the corner. However, is a bit inconsistent when trying to drop under offensive tackles and at times will slow his feet and give his opponent an easy target to hit. Is at his best working a compact/sudden counter back inside. Does a nice job getting up the field and working an explosive arm over back inside as he quickly changes directions and gets up the field. Exhibits an average motor, is always on the go working toward the football, but doesn't always seem to be going 100 miles per hour.

Showcases solid instincts inside vs. the run game. Will drop his pad level into contact, gain leverage, and fight his way into the backfield. Is a bit inconsistent using his hands however. At times can extend, set the edge and fend off blocks. At other times wants to lead with his shoulder and can be washed out of the play. Is a solid tackler when looking to breakdown and uses his length well to trip up ball carriers inside. Has a tendency to get a bit upright into contact however, which will cause him to be jolted on contact. Gets "plus" range in his drop off the line of scrimmage. Initially can stay compact, but will get upright and leggy out of his breaks, but more of a case where he isn't asked to drop all that often.

Impression: A highly productive pass rusher who has come a long way since being a JUCO transfer. Has a feel for getting after the passer, exhibits a good burst and closing speed around the edge and is an intriguing 34-type prospect.

Burris:

Burris possesses a thickly built frame with good overall girth strapped through his upper and lower half. He displays a real explosive element to his game when asked to attack downhill. He has a natural first step with a real burst to his game and good straight-line speed in pursuit. He exhibits the range to finish in pursuit, wraps well on the ball carrier and finishes with a lot of anger to his game. Burris plays the game the way it's supposed to be played inside. He works hard, displays good instincts with enough power/short area quickness to fend off blocks inside and scratch his way toward the ball carrier. He plays with good leverage inside when taking on blocks, understands angles, gets his shoulder properly aligned with leverage when taking on full backs in the hole and exhibits the balance to stack, shed and accelerate toward the ball carrier. Now, he is a bit linear of an athlete who will struggle to breakdown quickly in space. But once he collects himself, he really bursts out of his breaks and extends his arms well vs. offensive lineman at the second level. He possesses the natural power to stack, though he is a bit inconsistent shedding vs. longer lineman, lacking the type of fluidity to quickly disengage if he doesn't keep himself clean initially.

Burris is more of a blitzer off the edge on passing downs. I don't want to call him a natural pass rusher, but he does have the ability to drop his pad level and gain leverage when trying to reach the edge and does exhibit an understanding of using his hands to gain leverage and then shed quickly on contact. He recorded 9.5 sacks as a junior and he can routinely create pressure off the edge as an extra rush guy. He's a bit tight hipped in coverage; he gets only average depth in his drop and needs to chop his feet in order to collect himself out of his breaks when changing directions. But, Burris does a nice job keeping his feet under him and can accelerate quickly when he regains his footing. He displays solid instincts in the pass game and is routinely around the football. He doesn't have a ton of experience turning and running with receivers down the field, but has the straight-line speed to do so. Plays like a 4.5 guy.

Impression: A nasty, hard working football player who displays good instincts, a great motor and a lot of explosive elements to his game. At worst, Burris is a stud special teams guy with the ability to start at the next level. He can play either inside or out as well.

http://nationalfootballpost.sportsd...spx?page=/data/ncaaf/players/player34454.html

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Can Martin actually handle speed rushers?

No. But he doesn't get tested against PAC 12 defenses. Nick Perry and Brooks Reed absolutely abused him the last couple years. I wouldn't mind Martin as the franchise RT if we picked up an upgrade at LT on the market.

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Im getting more dejected on Martin by the day. The single line that pops up in virtually every report ive read on him "Non-aggressive" (or some variation of that word). Guy doesnt play through, he doesnt pop guys in the mouth, hes not competetive on an individual level.

You can be quiet and reserved, like Adub, but you gotta show that you can level a fool from time to time. Martin reportedly never does. Hes a timid LT with 'ok' strength.

BPA -CB, WR, Oline (which will prob be Decastro), OLB. I dont like Martin one bit. If we can get that 2nd rounder back, theres guys there that I really like. Keep in mind we dont need a star LT. No joe thomas or jake Long. We are Dead last in the NFL at LT. ANY measure of talent at that spot will seem like an exponential improvement. Plenty of values guys in the 2nd

My mock...

1-David DeCastro, OG Stanford
3-Andrew Datko, OT Florida St. (Also like Zebrie Sanders and Levy Adcock)
4-Emmanuel Acho, ILB Texas(I think you will see him rise)
5-Nate Potter, OT Boise St.
6a-Sammy Brown, OLB Houston (i'm going w/ CBus on this one)
6b-Hebron Fangupo, DT/DE/NT BYU
7-Rodney McCloud, S Virginia

I look for WR and CB depth to be addressed in FA.

eyerolls/groans. Maybe we should go get Larrys brother too. E.Acho isnt a shadow of Sam. We could probably get that dude in the 6th, or maybe undrafted all together. It was incredible the way Sam fell to us and he was 20x better than Emman. + hes coming off knee injuries. + if he doesnt work out, I wouldnt want him being cut to effect Sams relationship with the team.

Last edited:

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
E Acho is a 6-7 round pick if not undrafted. We have someone who fits that criteria in Quan Sturdivant.

OP
OP
Cbus cardsfan

Cbus cardsfan

Reaction score
Im getting more dejected on Martin by the day. The single line that pops up in virtually every report ive read on him "Non-aggressive" (or some variation of that word). Guy doesnt play through, he doesnt pop guys in the mouth, hes not competetive on an individual level.

You can be quiet and reserved, like Adub, but you gotta show that you can level a fool from time to time. Martin reportedly never does. Hes a timid LT with 'ok' strength.
I don't see where you're getting that about Martin. I've seen reports that say he may need to add strength but to become more complete. But out of over 10 sites I visited, only one said anything about him being a finesse type blocker. I like him more and more but to each their own. I've been wrong on many players before.

CBS Draft scout says this about Martin:
Intangibles: Above-average football and general intelligence, but plays with a nasty streak that makes defenders know he can handle himself. Solid character and work ethic.

Walter Football says this:
Martin was a tenacious run blocker, and the Cardinal ran behind him all year with some huge days on the ground.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

I don't see where you're getting that about Martin. I've seen reports that say he may need to add strength but to become more complete. But out of over 10 sites I visited, only one said anything about him being a finesse type blocker. I like him more and more but to each their own. I've been wrong on many players before.

CBS Draft scout says this about Martin:
Intangibles: Above-average football and general intelligence, but plays with a nasty streak that makes defenders know he can handle himself. Solid character and work ethic.

Walter Football says this:
Martin was a tenacious run blocker, and the Cardinal ran behind him all year with some huge days on the ground.

Martin is McShay's number (6) overall prospect and is Kiper's number (9).

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard