Hey, Kyler

Status
Not open for further replies.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Only thing I will say to this is that it takes a rare WR in the NFL who can create separation and maintain it with a QB who struggles to get the ball out on time.
QB's in the NFL need to throw the WR's open

Like Kurt Warner used to do by knowing where everyone would be on every play so he could throw to a spot

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Yep! Watch the Kurt Warner break downs of Murray on YouTube and he'll point out some of Murray's decision making. Missing the easy check downs and missing plays down field. Murray switches between being the home run king and captain check down. The balance is what's missing.

The first Rams game is the perfect balance. Murray did a phenomenal job finding the easy check downs, but challenged the Rams deep too. If you do that enough, those checkdown go from 3 yard gains to 12 yard gains.
Eh, I'd agree with Kyler that it was more about Kliff putting in the best game plan since he got there. We saw screen's to the TE from under center, proper use of tempo. Kyler was still Kyler for the most part. He had Kirk open underneath on the TD throw to AJ Green. We just outclassed the Rams that today. Total opposite in terms of play, preparation and execution in the playoff game, unfortunately.
QB's in the NFL need to throw the WR's open

Like Kurt Warner used to do by knowing where everyone would be on every play so he could throw to a spot
While true we cant act like he didn't have an improvement in that area this year.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

At one point he was completing nearly 74% of his throws. There had to be some level of throwing guys open going on.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

At one point he was completing nearly 74% of his throws. There had to be some level of throwing guys open going on.
To be fair he probably threw to the third least-open guy on that play. Both A.J. Green and Christian Kirk were as open as it gets in the NFL.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
To be fair he probably threw to the third least-open guy on that play. Both A.J. Green and Christian Kirk were as open as it gets in the NFL.
They were open after the throw
A defender if the pass is in the other direction has no need to stick with the receiver
However just few can make that throw

Last edited:

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
They were open after the throw
A defender if the pass is in the other direction has no need to stick with the receiver
However just few can make that throw
Yea I dont know what K9 and Krang are seeing. That safety is sitting on the hash where Green is going. Wesley was was the right guy to throw to in terms of pass the sticks and with the other safety biting on Chase in the flat.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Eh, I'd agree with Kyler that it was more about Kliff putting in the best game plan since he got there. We saw screen's to the TE from under center, proper use of tempo. Kyler was still Kyler for the most part. He had Kirk open underneath on the TD throw to AJ Green. We just outclassed the Rams that today. Total opposite in terms of play, preparation and execution in the playoff game, unfortunately.

While true we cant act like he didn't have an improvement in that area this year.

#18 bit and left Green open. A good quick throw and it's a wide open TD as @kerouac9 stated.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
#18 bit and left Green open. A good quick throw and it's a wide open TD as @kerouac9 stated.
You're not factoring in Lawrence beating Josh Jones with ease.

And more importantly, just cause the safety comes off the hash doesn't mean he cant close there. His eyes wouldn't take him completely out of the play. As Juza says he only completely moves out of the middle after the ball is let go.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Yep. He is clearly not about any nonsense and is all-in on Arizona. SMH.
The only time he took any questions at all this season was at a community event.

I bet he's not that interested in working with the Media Relations team after the way they did him at the beginning of the offseason.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
The ONLY starting QB in the entire league who did not speak to the media after voluntary OTAs or mandatory mini-camp.

What is interesting is that you might argue that the biggest issue with the Cardinals paying Kyler big money is that he may not be that marketable. He isn't a great quote. Doesn't display much personality. Isn't interested in using the media to get his message out. Nothing to do with football but a big deal for Bidwill who is trying to make money.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
The only time he took any questions at all this season was at a community event.

I bet he's not that interested in working with the Media Relations team after the way they did him at the beginning of the offseason.
I do believe that Kyler is frustrated with his media portrayal but doesn't understand his part to play in it. All the media do is report on what you give them and what he fails to understand is that if you give them nothing, they will fill in the blanks.

An example is the media account scrub. If he puts it out into the media that he is scrubbing his account before doing so, he controls the narrative. Instead he does it, hears the backlash, and then eye rolls it instead of addressing it. If he had positive media relationships, he could have come out of that looking way better.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
What is interesting is that you might argue that the biggest issue with the Cardinals paying Kyler big money is that he may not be that marketable. He isn't a great quote. Doesn't display much personality. Isn't interested in using the media to get his message out. Nothing to do with football but a big deal for Bidwill who is trying to make money.
Yes. Darren Urban touched on this briefly in Cards Underground this week. We want all these extensions but that's real money out the door. Then he mumbled something about the economic environment or whatever.

I do wonder if based on this deal that the Cards actually do need to wait until the TV money comes in to pay this stuff out. Back to the bad old days.

Kyler on the field is one of the most electric players in the NFL. Kyler off the field... man...

...I'm too old to be plugged into the culture. It seems like if he was going to break out where people are wearing his jersey in music videos and getting name checked in lyrics, it would be now.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I do believe that Kyler is frustrated with his media portrayal but doesn't understand his part to play in it. All the media do is report on what you give them and what he fails to understand is that if you give them nothing, they will fill in the blanks.

An example is the media account scrub. If he puts it out into the media that he is scrubbing his account before doing so, he controls the narrative. Instead he does it, hears the backlash, and then eye rolls it instead of addressing it. If he had positive media relationships, he could have come out of that looking way better.
TOTALLY. Larry Fitzgerald hated talking to the media, but he figured out a way to not talk to the media while also being adored by them. I don't really know how that happens.

I think it's a function of how isolated/protected/insulated Kyler has been for his entire life.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
TOTALLY. Larry Fitzgerald hated talking to the media, but he figured out a way to not talk to the media while also being adored by them. I don't really know how that happens.

I think it's a function of how isolated/protected/insulated Kyler has been for his entire life.
Larry benefited from having a Dad who was in the media that he could get info on how to work it. Also Larry benefited from being a WR vs a QB.

I also agree that Kyler seems to exist in an echo chamber which is understandable since he seems to keep a pretty tight group and his defense mechanism seems to be to distance himself.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Yes. Darren Urban touched on this briefly in Cards Underground this week. We want all these extensions but that's real money out the door. Then he mumbled something about the economic environment or whatever.

I do wonder if based on this deal that the Cards actually do need to wait until the TV money comes in to pay this stuff out. Back to the bad old days.

Kyler on the field is one of the most electric players in the NFL. Kyler off the field... man...

...I'm too old to be plugged into the culture. It seems like if he was going to break out where people are wearing his jersey in music videos and getting name checked in lyrics, it would be now.
Agreed. Playing for Arizona hurts this. Being of small stature hurts this. Being more introverted hurts this.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Larry benefited from having a Dad who was in the media that he could get info on how to work it. Also Larry benefited from being a WR vs a QB.

I also agree that Kyler seems to exist in an echo chamber which is understandable since he seems to keep a pretty tight group and his defense mechanism seems to be to distance himself.

A lot of that stems from what happened with his dad at Texas A&M in the 80s.

His dad felt like he really got screwed over so he's passed that lack of trust in media + others down to his son.

He`s A Qb Nobody Wants
Nfl Mysteriously Passes Over Texas A&m Standout
May 04, 1987|By Kevin Sherrington, Dallas Morning News.

COLLEGE STATION, TEX. Kevin Murray forfeited his final season of eligibility at Texas A&M because he thought he would be drafted by the NFL.

It took 28 teams 18 hours to grind through 12 rounds. As Tuesday creeped into Wednesday morning, 335 players were selected; 19 were quarterbacks.

None was Kevin Murray.

He says he might try out as a free agent and that he has a couple of things in the works. He says he won`t go back to A&M. He can`t. An NCAA legislative assistant said Murray`s act of applying for the draft terminated his eligibility.

Murray likely would have broken every Southwest Conference passing record had he returned.
``I feel good about my ability,`` he said. ``You`ve got to take the hand dealt you and play it. It seems like overcoming adversity is just a part of my life.``

Murray`s life since leaving North Dallas High School has been a sometimes wordless battle with professional baseball, the media and the NCAA, mostly over the terms of his employment. The Milwaukee Brewers took him to court after he accepted their bonus money, then left for A&M. The media charge he accepted money from an A&M booster without working for it.

Murray, a junior who led A&M to consecutive Cotton Bowls, thought he was leaving all of that behind when he announced March 23 that he was turning pro. Lynn Amedee, A&M`s offensive coordinator and a man who has coached such NFL quarterbacks as Bert Jones, Archie Manning and David Woodley, said he supported that decision.

Amedee said professional scouts who watched Murray practice in the days leading up to the draft assured A&M coaches he would be taken anywhere from the second to the fourth round.

``These guys spent all our time working him out,`` Amedee said. ``They tell us he`s going to project as a second- or fourth-rounder, and then they blackball him.
``Somebody blackballed him, and I`m going to find out why.``

NFL player personnel directors and a national scouting report dispute Amedee`s claim. They say Murray, at 6 feet 1 inch, is too short, too erratic, has a bad ankle and ``flirted with baseball.`` He missed the scouting combine in Indianapolis at the end of January, a must for prospects.

Rumors also ran rampant about his attitude. Harry Buffington, director of the National scouting combine, one of the two primary bureaus used by NFL teams, said the report on Murray indicated he was ``a little arrogant, didn`t always go to school; his work habits are not good and he`s moody.``

Buffington also said the personality report did not hurt Murray`s grade and that National rated him a 4.5, meaning he had a 50-50 chance of making an NFL team. Buffington said Murray has adequate athletic ability, good balance and great physical make-up: good upper body, good arm, quick in a small area. Tough enough, he said. Played hurt. Too hurt.

Buffington said Murray was rated lower in 1987 than in 1984 before he broke his right ankle. The break had to be screwed togehter to help set the bone.

``He would have been drafted in the fifth or sixth round under normal circumstances,`` he said.
One A&M official said he feared Murray was passed over because he is black.

``That`s just not fair,`` one player personnel director said. ``He`s a quarterback, but he`s not the size we`re looking for and he`s an erratic passer. He just wasn`t good enough.``

Murray completed 60.7 percent of his passes last season with 17 TDs and eight interceptions.
``He`s more accurate than anybody I`ve ever coached,`` Amedee said,
``including Bert Jones.``

A&M coach Jackie Sherrill, who once compared Murray to Joe Namath and has said he counseled Murray on his pro options, was unavailable for comment.
Murray said he didn`t want to talk about it any more.
``What`s been done is done.``

So he carried it over to his coaching and prepping athletes style.

MIND GAMES​

Cody Townes stood near the wall of the indoor practice field, watching his son –Allen eighth-grader Parker Townes – work with Murray.

“Parker’s not on today,” Townes said, quietly. “He’s about to hear it.”

But the criticism – however sharp – is always constructive, Townes said.

“We aren’t paying him to pat us on the head,” Townes said. “It’s funny, because the first month or so, Kevin was telling me ‘I think I’m being too hard on him.’ But the funny thing is Parker really likes it.”

Murray said he’s tough on his players for a reason.

“What’s going to happen is that these college coaches are going to say things to you that Fleener can’t say to you?” he said. “How are they going to handle that? Are they going to have a meltdown?”

Murray doesn’t advertise his business, AIR14 Football, getting all of his players from referrals. Fleener and Townes said they’ve told potential clients that Murray isn’t for the faint of heart.

“It’s really crazy what goes on during this process to these kids and their parents,” Murray said. “That’s why I can’t be honest enough.”

“It has a culture shock,” he said. “I wasn’t mature enough to deal with it at that point in my life.”

Murray enrolled at Texas A&M in January 1983 with plans of playing football, leaving Pikeville and baseball behind. But trouble followed.
The Brewers filed an injunction in federal court, claiming that Murray had violated the terms of his contract. During testimony, Brewers executive Dan Duquette claimed that an A&M alumnus had given Murray a car, credit card and $200 per week during his senior year at North Dallas. Murray called the testimony false, and was eventually cleared to play football. But, from that point, he couldn’t shake allegations of impropriety during his collegiate career. Media reports linked Murray to two other violations during his time in College Station. In 1998, after Murray had left, Texas A&M was charged with 31 rules violations, without Murray’s name attached.

Murray drew comparisons between the '80s-era Southwest Conference and the steroid era in baseball.

“It just depended on what rock you wanted to turn over," Murray said. And when they flipped over the Aggie rock, [then-Texas A&M coach Jackie Sherrill] did what cats do when you back them in the corner.”

With Sherrill taking an aggressively defensive stance against the press, Murray became the media's target, he said.

I think in some ways his dad has overprotected him.

All of this means nothing if Kyler plays at a high level and wins though.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose