Heupel Update

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
I truly believe the when will be no sooner than after the 2023 season. The 2022 season will be blamed on injuries to the Oline and not having Hopkins and Brown on the field at the same time for most of the year as well as Connor being off and on with injuries and injuries in the secondary. Besides Bidwill will want some minimum return on the Kingsbury contract

They will paint the 2023 season as having an entire year with Brown and Hopkins as well as an improved Oline (even though we have no idea how that will happen when the only linemen under contract will be Hudson, who will probably retire, Jones, who can't seem to play RT Humphries, Smith and Hayes, who will still be a rookie not having played in 2022) and a healthy secondary as well as improvements from the rookies of 2022 as reasons to believe a resurgence will happen. Of course they will ignore the high possibility that Murphy and Allen will move on to other teams and no plan to replace them, that Ertz and Watt will be a year older as well as Golden.
The longer they wait, they risk more damage to Murray's game that may not be correctable.

RON_IN_OC

Reaction score
Not certain why the objection to a college coach many successful NFL coaches were from college including the Cards’ best; Coryell.
Who was the last college coach, that had zero NFL experience, to be successful as a NFL head coach? When thinking this way, what successful college coaches are out there now with previous NFL coaching experience?....and it can be NFL experience at any coaching position.

Regardless of college success, or not, this is Kliff's biggest downfall ..He has no idea how to manage an NFL game.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Not certain why the objection to a college coach many successful NFL coaches were from college including the Cards’ best; Coryell.
Josh Heupel runs a gimmick up tempo offense that will get exposed in the NFL & figured out quickly, just like the KK offense. I'm not saying he wouldn't try to modernize it & adapt it to NFL concepts but why even kick the tires on that? The Cardinals tried that & it didn't work out. They need to go with a young up & comer with NFL experience. Bienemy, Waldron or Dorsey just to name a few.

RON_IN_OC

Reaction score
Josh Heupel runs a gimmick up tempo offense that will get exposed in the NFL & figured out quickly, just like the KK offense. I'm not saying he wouldn't try to modernize it & adapt it to NFL concepts but why even kick the tires on that? The Cardinals tried that & it didn't work out. They need to go with a young up & comer with NFL experience. Bienemy, Waldron or Dorsey just to name a few.

I'm plucking 2 from the Bills staff to lead the Cardinals. Brady and Babich. Pick one for HC and the other for OC/DC. They both have good experience in the NFL.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I'm plucking 2 from the Bills staff to lead the Cardinals. Brady and Babich. Pick one for HC and the other for OC/DC. They both have good experience in the NFL.
Dorsey is the OC, you wouldn't choose him over the other 2? I like the fire Dorsey has, did you see how ballistic he went in the press box against the Dolphins on MNF? We need some fire like that & not a coach bro.

RON_IN_OC

Reaction score
Dorsey is the OC, you wouldn't choose him over the other 2? I like the fire Dorsey has, did you see how ballistic he went in the press box against the Dolphins on MNF? We need some fire like that & not a coach bro.
I just think Dorsey will be a super hot commodity and have choices. The other 2 may be easier to get and will still be good coaches, IMO.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I for one do not want a college coach, I want a professional coach. I want a guy with experience and then if Kyler shows he cannot adapt to a pro offense, which is what is required to be a pro, then you trade him
This is IT in a nutshell. Bring in a HC that can run a pro style offense & HAVE Murray run it. I would be shocked if Murray wouldn't shine anyways. And if he falls on his face, then you move on. Then you go back to drafting or signing taller, traditional, drop back QB's. With the exception of Hart, Lomax, and a very late in career Warner, that option has failed miserably for this franchise for the last 60 years. We have a lousy HC who is eroding the star potential of a still very young QB. It doesn't take an Einstein to say that Murray is frustrated with him. Get him out of there before Murray goes to greener pastures & we have to be tormented watching him succeed elsewhere.

DaHilg

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Love Dorsey - he’d be a great pick imo.. was very closely aligned w Daboll who is doing a hell of a job

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
At this point the preferable model is the early Seahawks with Russell Wilson. No more catering to the desires of Kyler.

Upgrade the defense to top five. Upgrade the running game. Don't depend on Murray to be more than an average QB who limits turnovers and has an occasional good game.

This would include dumping Kliff and hiring a dynamic defensive guru in the mold of Robert Saleh.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
At this point the preferable model is the early Seahawks with Russell Wilson. No more catering to the desires of Kyler.

Upgrade the defense to top five. Upgrade the running game. Don't depend on Murray to be more than an average QB who limits turnovers and has an occasional good game.

This would include dumping Kliff and hiring a dynamic defensive guru in the mold of Robert Saleh.
See, this is the problem.

There shouldn’t be a “preferable” model.

You should be catering to both sides of the ball regardless if it’s Kyler Murray, Patrick Mahomes, Nathan Peterman, or PJ Walker taking snaps at QB.

That should be THE model.

Steve Keim has drilled into people’s minds here that’s either one or the other since he doesn’t know how to build either.

reebokalone2001

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

I would love that to happen, just am not sure how you can do that with $45m tied with Murray every year. Seahawks' model was built on top of Wilson's rookie contract and then not yet exploded QB market.

reebokalone2001

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I truly believe the when will be no sooner than after the 2023 season. The 2022 season will be blamed on injuries to the Oline and not having Hopkins and Brown on the field at the same time for most of the year as well as Connor being off and on with injuries and injuries in the secondary. Besides Bidwill will want some minimum return on the Kingsbury contract

They will paint the 2023 season as having an entire year with Brown and Hopkins as well as an improved Oline (even though we have no idea how that will happen when the only linemen under contract will be Hudson, who will probably retire, Jones, who can't seem to play RT Humphries, Smith and Hayes, who will still be a rookie not having played in 2022) and a healthy secondary as well as improvements from the rookies of 2022 as reasons to believe a resurgence will happen. Of course they will ignore the high possibility that Murphy and Allen will move on to other teams and no plan to replace them, that Ertz and Watt will be a year older as well as Golden.
I feel Keim will resign Allen but let Murphy go to the FA.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Who was the last college coach, that had zero NFL experience, to be successful as a NFL head coach? When thinking this way, what successful college coaches are out there now with previous NFL coaching experience?....and it can be NFL experience at any coaching position.

Regardless of college success, or not, this is Kliff's biggest downfall ..He has no idea how to manage an NFL game.
I guess it would be Chip Kelly. He made the playoffs in year one. Of course the Eagles gave him personnel control, something I would do with Heupel, and things fell apart. Of course I’d love Peyton, but nobody of stature is taking this job with Murray’s contract destroying the cap. The track record of former NFL assistants isn’t much better. Recycling former head coaches is typically useless. The fact is there have been far more failures at head coach, than successes. Keep in mind this is not a desirable job. A freak situation, like Arians, is likely not repeatable. A riverboat gambler, like Heupel, maybe the only type of coach with interest and he’s no sure candidate. Don’t assume the top candidates want to gamble on a franchise that has been a career killer.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

Reaction score
At least Heupel has a history of winning. Why would any of your names take the job. Bienemy, for example, had better options last offseason.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

We have the Rams, 49ers, Chargers then the week 14 Bye. I 'd bet on him being fired during the bye week. Hard Knocks will probably not be on site that week so Bidwill can do it quickly and more privately.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

Reaction score
For every Don Coryell, there’s a Nick Saban, Steve Spurrier, Kliff Kingsbury and Bud Wilkinson...
Kingsbury was a college loser. Wilkinson had been out of football for 15 years when Dollar Bill hired him. Spurrier was taking his booster money and going to play golf everyday. Snyder offered him $25 million (highest coaching salary in history). There were serious concerns about his work ethic when his offensive plan met resistance. Saban was the legitimate surprise. His failure is a reason for concern about the concept. Still a large part of my position is the Cards are stuck with Murray and though Heupel’s a long shot, he may be the best gamble.

reebokalone2001

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Which would be a huge mistake if one had to choose between the two. A bona fide #1 corner is worth more than a borderline Pro Bowl alternate on the DL
I think it will come down to the cost. Murphy will definitely ask for top #1 CB money and I am not sure Keim is willing to pay that number.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
At least Heupel has a history of winning. Why would any of your names take the job. Bienemy, for example, had better options last offseason.
Why would Heupel? He could be perfectly happy at Tennessee. The names I mentioned........i have no idea if they'd take it or not, but the next step in their careers is a HC job & they have NFL experience. The offense Heupel runs is another spread the defense out/tempo gimmick offense, for me, I'll pass on that.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

Reaction score
Why would Heupel? He could be perfectly happy at Tennessee. The names I mentioned........i have no idea if they'd take it or not, but the next step in their careers is a HC job & they have NFL experience. The offense Heupel runs is another spread the defense out/tempo gimmick offense, for me, I'll pass on that.
Certainly he would be paid well to stay. That said, consider the posts above. Very seldom will the opportunity present itself to go from college to NFL HC. Also Heupel has a big (not mean) ego, so the challenge may be more appealing than you’d expect. He likes to gamble and this would be quite a roll of the dice. Finally if he could solve the Murray puzzle, he’d be highly regarded for years to cone.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose