Heroes and Goats: WAS @ ARI

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I have no problem with bringing the second team DL to keep the starters fresh. The Redskins had the ball for an entire quarter more than the Cardinals.
most teams at the nfl level make substitutions on an individual level...that way you still have a few starters there to take up some slack for the back ups on the field....when you rotate the entire line you make the entire unit a weakness instead of just an individual position along the line

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score
Exactly why he's better suited to being a 3-4 OLB than a down lineman DE in a 4-3. Definitely not playing to strengths here.
And as for strengths and weaknesses, our DL is the weak link on our team by far. Our starters are journeyman quality at best, and they weren't even out there much of the time.
Our backups are even worse. Stopping the run will be our tipping point this year. Can't do that, can't win. Especially with wee linebackers. We need some meatheads somewhere in the front 7.

The freakin' Washington Redskins marched up and down the field at will in our house. It's a miracle they only scored 24 points. I fear it's going to be even worse next week at the Rams, if that is even possible.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Exactly why he's better suited to being a 3-4 OLB than a down lineman DE in a 4-3. Definitely not playing to strengths here.
And as for strengths and weaknesses, our DL is the weak link on our team by far. Our starters are journeyman quality at best, and they weren't even out there much of the time.
Our backups are even worse. Stopping the run will be our tipping point this year. Can't do that, can't win. Especially with wee linebackers. We need some meatheads somewhere in the front 7.

We stopped the run with essentially the same guys on the line last season.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The freakin' Washington Redskins marched up and down the field at will in our house. It's a miracle they only scored 24 points. I fear it's going to be even worse next week at the Rams, if that is even possible.

Washington's strength is their 'o' line.

gbrim21

Veteran
Reaction score
Good post. Thanks for reminding me that we do in fact have some players that belong on an NFL starting squad.

Many goat options, but after reading the OP I was reminded how many times during yesterday's game I questioned what Buc is good at. Originally he was branded as an undersized ILB who could cover and basically act as a 3rd safety. Last night he got abused over and over again in coverage, and over and over again in the running game. I loved watching him play in college. He would play 100% even with his crappy team down 28 in the 4th quarter. But I wouldn't be shocked if he's out of the league in a year or two.

On to the Rams, I guess.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

GoldGloveschmidt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Our LB corps is weaker than DL.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Chandler Jones is good. Corey Peters is good. Robert Nkemdiche was good yesterday. Your statement about the line being the problem is wrong. The line is ok to good, but someone has to flow to the ball to clean up plays, and zero LBs did that yesterday.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Good post. Thanks for reminding me that we do in fact have some players that belong on an NFL starting squad.

Many goat options, but after reading the OP I was reminded how many times during yesterday's game I questioned what Buc is good at. Originally he was branded as an undersized ILB who could cover and basically act as a 3rd safety. Last night he got abused over and over again in coverage, and over and over again in the running game. I loved watching him play in college. He would play 100% even with his crappy team down 28 in the 4th quarter. But I wouldn't be shocked if he's out of the league in a year or two.

On to the Rams, I guess.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

This is well stated and is a very valid point.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Chandler Jones is good. Corey Peters is good. Robert Nkemdiche was good yesterday. Your statement about the line being the problem is wrong. The line is ok to good, but someone has to flow to the ball to clean up plays, and zero LBs did that yesterday.

Maybe a bit more 4-3-4 rather than 4-2-5 would help.

Capital Card

The Kobayashi of Kool-Aid
Reaction score
What was the Personal Foul against Jones for during the third Redskins TD drive? Did they show a better replay on TV? It sure didn't look like Jones did anything to deserve a Personal Foul from where I was sitting.

As I recall, it was for jumping onto the pile late. Announcers weren't thrilled with the call, but said that is just today's NFL QB protection rule.

Go Cards!!!

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What was the Personal Foul against Jones for during the third Redskins TD drive? Did they show a better replay on TV? It sure didn't look like Jones did anything to deserve a Personal Foul from where I was sitting.

Fell on Smith after play. Not a hit but just fell on him.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
A lot of guys on this board want change for the sake of change. There's a group that's never happy
I want change. But not for the sake of change.

Specifically -

1. First tackler brings down the ballcarrier (i.e. too many yards after contact on nearly every freakin' running or short passing play.

2. More zip on Bradford's throws (too often he hung receivers out to dry).

3. Better route running (receivers need to get open more consistently).

4. Higher ratio of catches to drops

5. A word about McCoy: This team isn't good enough to consistently execute at an A+'level playing conservative offense. As soon as we fall behind, there's no "Riskit" play we can rely on to catch up. In fact, we have no threat of a home run ball that will strike fear into the hearts of NFL defenses. Not only that but conservative poorly executed FB makes for boring FB from a fan's standpoint.

Other than that, I think we did pretty ggod.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
heroes:

special teams Christian Kirk. After years of waiting for a punt returner, I think the Cards have one.

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
I guess Coach Wilks forgot he doesn't have Thomas Davis and Kuechly on this team :?. They played a lot of zone defense (which is not the DBuc's strength).

Def and Of were both bad ... I'm surprised the Redskins only scored 24pts.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have no problem rotating them in, but do it one at a time. You don't bring in your entire second unit at the beginning of a series. Show me when Washington did that.

They didn't need to rotate. They were rarely on the field more than a hand full of plays.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I guess Coach Wilks forgot he doesn't have Thomas Davis and Kuechly on this team :?. They played a lot of zone defense (which is not the DBuc's strength).

Def and Of were both bad ... I'm surprised the Redskins only scored 24pts.
Bynes was so overmatched that Chris Thompson ran a crossing route, and Bynes ran after him, running away from Alex Smith who had the football and was scrambling.

b8rtm8nn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
i was honestly surprised at how bad Buc and Bynes were. Not just in reacting, but tackling...