Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
1) It's just one game
2) The starters hardly played in the preseason
3) Bradford's definitely rusty after not playing for a year
4) This was Wilks first game as a head coach
5) David Johnson is still knocking the rust off
6) Wilks deserves to choose his own players
7) Keim was on suspension for a month and didn't get the chance to improve the roster
8) Looks like the Saints' season is also lost
9) (At least) the Seahawks and 49ers lost, too
10) At least no one got injured.

You must be registered for see images

Chase Edmonds, RB - Six yards per carry and three first downs on four rushes. Four receptions, of which three were successful. A good start to his career.

Larry Fitzgerald, WR - Was force-fed a WR screen in the first half, but provided some much-needed energy to the offense in the second half.

Patrick Peterson, CB - Peterson effectively closed down a full one-third of the field by himself; Alex Smith never looked his way. Unfortunately, the defense couldn't do squat with the other two thirds.

You must be registered for see images attach

Jamar Taylor, CB - I guess it's good that he didn't get lit up, but the penalties didn't help his cause.

Deone Bucannon, $B - Good gracious. The Washington Professional Football team came in with a plan to exploit Budda Baker and Bucannon early and often. Eventually they decided just to target Bucannon over and over and over again.

Steve Wilks, HC - An under-reported aspect of Wilks' coaching decisions: His DL rotations. He moves DL in and out like a college team: First-team, second team. At one point in the second quarter, all the starting DL were on the sideline, and all four backups were on the field. This wasn't in the middle of a 10-play drive when the starters were gassed. It was a the beginning of a possession following a commercial break. Unsurprisingly, we got run over and gave up our 3rd TD of the game.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
What is funny is that there are a lot of good takeaways from this game, but the bad just doesn't look like it can be coached up.

DJ - good
Larry - good
Humphries - good
Iupati - good
Cole - good
Pugh - good
Edmonds - good
Nkemdiche - good
Jones - good
Peters - good
Peterson - good
Bethea - good
Baker - good
Special Teams - good

OP
OP
kerouac9

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
What is funny is that there are a lot of good takeaways from this game, but the bad just doesn't look like it can be coached up.

DJ - good
Larry - good
Humphries - good
Iupati - good
Cole - good
Pugh - good
Edmonds - good
Nkemdiche - good
Jones - good
Peters - good
Peterson - good
Bethea - good
Baker - good
Special Teams - good

David Johnson had one exceptional series and then bascially was a non-factor until garbage time. It's probematic but not concerning he had a ball hit him in the hands and then bounce harmlessly to the ground.

The OL was a bright spot.

I actually had Baker on my goats list through the first half. He was another guy Washington was targeting early, and then he was basically a non-factor.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
1) It's just one game
7) Keim was on suspension for a month and didn't get the chance to improve the roster

Chase Edmonds, RB - Six yards per carry and three first downs on four rushes. Four receptions, of which three were successful. A good start to his career.

Larry Fitzgerald, WR - Was force-fed a WR screen in the first half, but provided some much-needed energy to the offense in the second half.

Patrick Peterson, CB - Peterson effectively closed down a full one-third of the field by himself; Alex Smith never looked his way. Unfortunately, the defense couldn't do squat with the other two thirds.

Jamar Taylor, CB - I guess it's good that he didn't get lit up, but the penalties didn't help his cause.

Deone Bucannon, $B - Good gracious. The Washington Professional Football team came in with a plan to exploit Budda Baker and Bucannon early and often. Eventually they decided just to target Bucannon over and over and over again.

Steve Wilks, HC - An under-reported aspect of Wilks' coaching decisions: His DL rotations. He moves DL in and out like a college team: First-team, second team. At one point in the second quarter, all the starting DL were on the sideline, and all four backups were on the field. This wasn't in the middle of a 10-play drive when the starters were gassed. It was a the beginning of a possession following a commercial break. Unsurprisingly, we got run over and gave up our 3rd TD of the game.

LOL...I like how you listed most of the popular excuses first...may as well get those out of the way.

the dline rotation is baffling...leaving your defense wide open to get mauled just makes no sense.

the other day I tried chugging the kool aid and posting some hope and possibilities for the offense... but the showing wasnt just disheartening,...it was nausea inducing...amazing how so many individually good performances can result in such a poor team effort.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
David Johnson had one exceptional series and then bascially was a non-factor until garbage time. It's probematic but not concerning he had a ball hit him in the hands and then bounce harmlessly to the ground.

I actually had Baker on my goats list through the first half. He was another guy Washington was targeting early, and then he was basically a non-factor.
I think DJ looked like a guy who has limited live action football snaps over the course of the last year. I was ok with his rust.

I agree that Baker seemed to a bit lost in the first half, but I guess I am an apologist as I feel like he did ok in week 1, in a new scheme, and with all the different things he is asked to do. Again, it may just be that I have liked him since college, but I thought his issues were acceptable.

I am also happy that I am not the only person who was pretty happy with the offensive line. It looked like a middle of the road unit which is a huge step from last year.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

DJ - good
Larry - good
Humphries - good
Iupati - good
Cole - good
Pugh - good
Edmonds - good
Nkemdiche - good
Jones - good
Peters - good
Peterson - good
Bethea - good
Baker - good
Special Teams - good

Jones good?

He failed to contain all day!

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Nice job to both Oaken and K9 for pointing out the odd defensive line rotation. It was the same with Chase and DJ. It's like we had a rotation schedule and didn't take into account the game flow / situation.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score

Hard to believe he couldn’t turn it on in the passing game considering the defense knew when and where the ball was getting to him every time.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
3 tackles, 1 sack, FF & drew 3 penalties against Trent William's. CJ always had issues setting edge at DE for Pats. Blew my mind that we would go 4-3 to be honest when best players.not suited for it.

This

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like that Chase Edmonds looked good when he was out there but the Redskins were pretty much in prevent mode at that point and just trying to keep everything in front of them and kill the clock.

I'd put Andy Lee on there as a hero over Edmonds. Lee was pinning the Redskins back within the 20 pretty consistently. It's just our defense couldn't make a stop when we had them pinned back there.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Jones had an amazing game for what he is as a player. He made an impact despite going up against one of the better OT's in football and a game script where Washington was hardly ever FORCED to pass the ball.

Did you note the 'amazing ' runs to his outside when he constantly crashed inside?

One of the reasons why, I'd suggest, they weren't forced to pass.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Did you note the 'amazing ' runs to his outside when he constantly crashed inside?

One of the reasons why, I'd suggest, they weren't forced to pass.
That is where outside LBs have to flow to the ball...again, Chandler Jones game is not stand-up an OT who has 50lbs on him, and stop the run. It is crashing gaps and disrupting running lanes on the way to the QB, and then letting the LBs behind him make the one-on-one play.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I like that Chase Edmonds looked good when he was out there but the Redskins were pretty much in prevent mode at that point and just trying to keep everything in front of them and kill the clock.

I'd put Andy Lee on there as a hero over Edmonds. Lee was pinning the Redskins back within the 20 pretty consistently. It's just our defense couldn't make a stop when we had them pinned back there.

Edmonds looked comfortable which is all you can ask for right now. Looks like we won’t have to worry about the RB position for a long time.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score

I have no problem with bringing the second team DL to keep the starters fresh. The Redskins had the ball for an entire quarter more than the Cardinals.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
1) It's just one game

Re Bucannon... I honestly couldn't tell if he is become "that" bad, or, did the coaches simply put him in situations where he had no chance to succeed? I mean, he was dreadful in coverage and why the coaches consistently left him in there to cover RB's is totally lost on me. Of course, Bucannon did little if anything against the run as well, so... Ugh...

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
3 tackles, 1 sack, FF & drew 3 penalties against Trent William's. CJ always had issues setting edge at DE for Pats. Blew my mind that we would go 4-3 to be honest when best players.not suited for it.

What was the Personal Foul against Jones for during the third Redskins TD drive? Did they show a better replay on TV? It sure didn't look like Jones did anything to deserve a Personal Foul from where I was sitting.

OP
OP
kerouac9

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I have no problem with bringing the second team DL to keep the starters fresh. The Redskins had the ball for an entire quarter more than the Cardinals.

I have no problem rotating them in, but do it one at a time. You don't bring in your entire second unit at the beginning of a series. Show me when Washington did that.

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
That is where outside LBs have to flow to the ball...again, Chandler Jones game is not stand-up an OT who has 50lbs on him, and stop the run. It is crashing gaps and disrupting running lanes on the way to the QB, and then letting the LBs behind him make the one-on-one play.

Exactly why he's better suited to being a 3-4 OLB than a down lineman DE in a 4-3. Definitely not playing to strengths here.
And as for strengths and weaknesses, our DL is the weak link on our team by far. Our starters are journeyman quality at best, and they weren't even out there much of the time.
Our backups are even worse. Stopping the run will be our tipping point this year. Can't do that, can't win. Especially with wee linebackers. We need some meatheads somewhere in the front 7.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alaskabustergreen