Here’s how one GM mocked the first 10 picks in the draft

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From Mike Sando's article in the Athletic today:

1. Bengals: Burrow
2. Redskins: Young
3. Lions: Trade, probably to Miami, who picks Tagovailoa. "The team trading into this slot would not have to worry about the Giants selecting a quarterback fourth overall. The team would simply be jumping into a spot so that another quarterback-needy team would not get that chance."
4. Giants: Thomas
5. Lions: Okudah
6. Chargers: Herbert
7. Panthers: Wills
8. Cardinals: Brown. "It’s also easy projecting a wide receiver to the Cardinals 'just because you have an offensive coach (Kliff Kingsbury) and you don’t have any speed,' a personnel director said. 'I would take Jerry Jeudy among the receivers, but who knows, Kingsbury could like the other Alabama guy (Henry Ruggs III). Brown is the second-best defender in the draft.'"
9. Jaguars: Jeudy
10. Browns: Becton

...dave

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
It's weird that Sando would completely ignore Lamb in that writeup.

But taking Brown would be a great choice, especially with three tackles off the board. I'd be torn between him and Simmons.

Edit: Realizing this probably isn't Sando's perspective, since I can't read The Athletic throught the paywall. Still weird for a GM to not acknowledge it.

Last edited:

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dont know who Brown is.

Does Sando work for the athletic now?

OP
OP
daves

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dont know who Brown is.
Sorry, i could've spelled those out but there's been so much draft talk on here, even someone like me who doesn't follow college football much knows all the top 15 or so projected picks by heart! It's Derrick Brown, DT, Auburn.
Does Sando work for the athletic now?
Apparently so!

...dave

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Where is Simmons? Simmons is not going to still be on the board after 10, and I don't think the cardinals would take brown over him.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's weird that Sando would completely ignore Lamb in that writeup.

But taking Brown would be a great choice, especially with three tackles off the board. I'd be torn between him and Simmons.

Edit: Realizing this probably isn't Sando's perspective, since I can't read The Athletic throught the paywall. Still weird for a GM to not acknowledge it.

Lamb is not mentioned by Sando because it only covers the top ten selections.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry, i could've spelled those out but there's been so much draft talk on here, even someone like me who doesn't follow college football much knows all the top 15 or so projected picks by heart! It's Derrick Brown, DT, Auburn.

Apparently so!

...dave
He's one I had never heard of yet but I'm far from a draft guy. A DT would be a big deal. I am all in on a blue chip MLB, OLB, DT or OL. Mostly DT/DE and MLB though. So, I'm in.

Sando was awesome as the nfc west guy on ESPN back when. It's a shame he has been behind a paywall ever since.

Hoodhero

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Jets in year after getting so called franchise QB took top DT & that has had zero impact so far. I don't think anyone considers Brown to be @ same level as Quinnen coming out as well. Quinnen still developing but Keim dont have that luxury with the villagers @ the gates with torches out already especially if Simmons or Lamb light it up.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Jets in year after getting so called franchise QB took top DT & that has had zero impact so far. I don't think anyone considers Brown to be @ same level as Quinnen coming out as well. Quinnen still developing but Keim dont have that luxury with the villagers @ the gates with torches out already especially if Simmons or Lamb light it up.

Da’Ron Payne had a better rookie year than Quinnen Williams who compares more to Derrick Brown than Williams. Some guys have less upside but produce more right away. Q went top-3 because many feel he has pass rush ability unlike other DT’s. He’ll be fine he was just a rookie.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
You had these feeling with Luke Kuechly and couldn’t have been more wrong. What don’t you like about Simmons?
Luke Keuchly was a college LB who didn't make plays behind the LOS. Obviously that changed when he went to the NFL. That being said, he was a productive college LB who was drafted to be a LB. I still am extremely hesitant in taking any ILB in the top 10 of drafts. Even if you re-drafted that class, Luke was at best the 10th best player in that class. I would take Luck, Stephon Gilmore, Fletcher Cox, Melvin Ingram, Chandler Jones, David DeCastro, Kevin Zeitler, Mitchell Schwartz, Bobby Wagner, Russell Wilson, and Brandon Brooks over him. That does not count some other really good players in that draft who still have a chance to pass Luke.

I have liked Simmons since 2018 and have posts on this board advocating taking him last draft prior to his declaration of going back to college. What has changed is the Cardinals situation and where they would need to take him. Simmons is a player without a position. He does not have the instincts to play as a read and react LB. He does not have the size to play OLB. If the argument was to play him at S, I could buy it. You could sell me that he is the modern day Sean Taylor. I would argue that our need for S is less than other needs but I could buy the argument, however that is not the argument being made.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Where is Simmons? Simmons is not going to still be on the board after 10, and I don't think the cardinals would take brown over him.
I'm leaning toward Simmons right now. He has the versatility of, say, Bucc or Budda - only he's supposed to have more football talent. I could see him next to Budda at safety; or at one of the LB's.

But based on stated Lamb-Murray chemistry, it could turn out to be Cee Dee

CardinalCovfefe

Veteran
Reaction score

3. Lions: Trade, probably to Miami, who picks Tagovailoa. "The team trading into this slot would not have to worry about the Giants selecting a quarterback fourth overall. The team would simply be jumping into a spot so that another quarterback-needy team would not get that chance."
8. Cardinals: Brown. "It’s also easy projecting a wide receiver to the Cardinals 'just because you have an offensive coach (Kliff Kingsbury) and you don’t have any speed,' a personnel director said. 'I would take Jerry Jeudy among the receivers, but who knows, Kingsbury could like the other Alabama guy (Henry Ruggs III). Brown is the second-best defender in the draft.'"

...dave

PERFECT! Here's a compelling write up on D. Brown by an ex NFL DE. He very much thinks DB is the best DT to come out since Aaron Donald.

www.sbnation.com/nfl/2020/3/3/21158412/derrick-brown-nfl-draft-2020-dt-film-breakdown-highlights-auburn

CardinalCovfefe

Veteran
Reaction score

...dave

PERFECT! Here's a compelling write up on D. Brown by an ex NFL DE. He very much thinks DB is the best DT to come out since Aaron Donald.

www.sbnation.com/nfl/2020/3/3/21158412/derrick-brown-nfl-draft-2020-dt-film-breakdown-highlights-auburn

CardinalCovfefe

Veteran
Reaction score

...dave

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Luke Keuchly was a college LB who didn't make plays behind the LOS. Obviously that changed when he went to the NFL. That being said, he was a productive college LB who was drafted to be a LB. I still am extremely hesitant in taking any ILB in the top 10 of drafts. Even if you re-drafted that class, Luke was at best the 10th best player in that class. I would take Luck, Stephon Gilmore, Fletcher Cox, Melvin Ingram, Chandler Jones, David DeCastro, Kevin Zeitler, Mitchell Schwartz, Bobby Wagner, Russell Wilson, and Brandon Brooks over him. That does not count some other really good players in that draft who still have a chance to pass Luke.

I’m sorry but this is one of the worst takes I have ever read on this board. Some guys just flat out can’t admit when there wrong. You do understand that Kuechly is a hall of famer right.

7x pro bowl
5x first team all pro
2x second team all pro
Defensive rookie of the year
3x Butkus award winner(best LB)
Defensive player of the year

the fact you think some of those guys are better than him is a flat out joke and I do mean a a flat out joke.
Ain’t a damn GM in this world that would take Melvin Ingram over Kuechly.

look up some of those guys and see there not half as decorated as LK but yeah there better. Im not even going to get into this debate but damn it’s F’ing ok to say hey I was wrong about a guy.

K1Day1

Veteran
Reaction score
Still CeeDee Lamb all day.
Unfortunately we've All seen Keim draft for need (And how has that worked out for Cards fans).
If given the choice between drafting a No. 2 Defensive player, A No.2 Offensive Lineman, or a No.1 wide reciever even if the Cards have Jeudy ranked higher..
IMHO... Go for the best player..
Boldin was rookie of the year yet Denny Green still drafted Fitz because he was the best player available.
IMO... I would rather have a No.1 reciever rather than a No. 2 or 3 lineman, or a No. 2 or 3 defensive player.
Everytime Keim drafts for need... We Lose..

K1Day1

Veteran
Reaction score
If Chase Young is available... Then Go Chase Young... If Mekhi Beckham is available... then go there.. If NOT... Then Go the Next best player which IMO is Wide Reciever...

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Still CeeDee Lamb all day.
Unfortunately we've All seen Keim draft for need (And how has that worked out for Cards fans).
If given the choice between drafting a No. 2 Defensive player, A No.2 Offensive Lineman, or a No.1 wide reciever even if the Cards have Jeudy ranked higher..
IMHO... Go for the best player..
Boldin was rookie of the year yet Denny Green still drafted Fitz because he was the best player available.
IMO... I would rather have a No.1 reciever rather than a No. 2 or 3 lineman, or a No. 2 or 3 defensive player.
Everytime Keim drafts for need... We Lose..

You do understand that the perceived #2 Olineman may turn out to be better than the perceived #1 Olineman and that is frequently the case with WR's. Heck even the #4 or #7 WR may turn out better than the "#1WR". This happens at all positions.

We have sooo many needs that the only positions that SK should not draft at 10 is QB and positions that aren't as impactful, like kickers or interior Oline.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
I’m sorry but this is one of the worst takes I have ever read on this board. Some guys just flat out can’t admit when there wrong. You do understand that Kuechly is a hall of famer right.

7x pro bowl
5x first team all pro
2x second team all pro
Defensive rookie of the year
3x Butkus award winner(best LB)
Defensive player of the year

the fact you think some of those guys are better than him is a flat out joke and I do mean a a flat out joke.
Ain’t a damn GM in this world that would take Melvin Ingram over Kuechly.

look up some of those guys and see there not half as decorated as LK but yeah there better. Im not even going to get into this debate but damn it’s F’ing ok to say hey I was wrong about a guy.
Yeah Ingram was pretty good. No contest vs. Kuechly though.

You go into any draft and you can pull out 2nd and 3rd rounders who WAY outperformed their draft position, and became Pro Bowlers.

Kuechly was always going to be top 10 in that draft class. You have to compare 1st rounders in any particular draft class. Or at least top 40-50 picks. Anyone else pretty much way out performed their draft status, and were never seriously in 1st round consideration.

K1Day1

Veteran
Reaction score
You do understand that the perceived #2 Olineman may turn out to be better than the perceived #1 Olineman and that is frequently the case with WR's. Heck even the #4 or #7 WR may turn out better than the "#1WR". This happens at all positions.

We have sooo many needs that the only positions that SK should not draft at 10 is QB and positions that aren't as impactful, like kickers or interior Oline.

I can understand that other than QB and Kicker, Every other position on this team can use depth or an upgrade (By the way... The Cards draft at 8 (for now) and not 10)...
However, as (WildBB )stated above.. You're always going to hav players that out perform their draft position. But the Cards have shown time and time again that when they draft for position first and talent later, Keim gets it wrong.
By your logic... With Boldin having won rookie of the year the very next year. The Cardinals should have looked at the #2 O-Lineman or the #4 or #7 Wide Reciever rather than Taking Larry Fitzgerald.

Dennis Green may have been a crazy head coach but he did build the Cards team that went to the Super Bowl and his philosophy of drafting the best player avaiable is still sound. If the Cards have a #2, #3 or #4 OLineman on their board above the WR's then they should go for it.
If they have a #2, #3 or #4 Defensive player ranked above all the recivers than they should go for that..
My point was that Keim drafting for needs at position first and foremost has not worked out well for the Cardinals franchise.

Last edited:

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I can understand that other than QB and Kicker, Every other position on this team can use depth or an upgrade (By the way... The Cards draft at 8 (for now) and not 10)...
However, as (WildBB )stated above.. You're always going to hav players that out perform their draft position. But the Cards have shown time and time again that when they draft for position first and talent later, Keim gets it wrong.
By your logic... With Boldin having won rookie of the year the very next year. The Cardinals should have looked at the #2 O-Lineman or the #4 or #7 Wide Reciever rather than Taking Larry Fitzgerald.

Dennis Green may have been a crazy head coach but he did build the Cards team that went to the Super Bowl and his philosophy of drafting the best player avaiable is still sound. If the Cards have a #2, #3 or #4 OLineman on their board above the WR's then they should go for it.
If they have a #2, #3 or #4 Defensive player ranked above all the recivers than they should go for that..
My point was that Keim drafting for needs at position first and foremost has not worked out well for the Cardinals franchise.

I think keim supposed to draft the best player available based on his draftboard
That s why he picked Byron Murphy, was rated 6th on their board, a slot cornerback questionable move since u have Budda baker already on the roster
If he was drafting for need he could look for another type of cornerback, considering Alford age and the doubts around him

Last edited:

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Lots of talk this week about a tag and trade for Chris Jones.

Can you imagine if we were able to add Chris Jones and Derrick Brown? Our D-line instantly becomes a strength of the team, and we become very very difficult to run on.

Add in an athletic ILB in round 3 like Malik Harrison...and our defense becomes pretty special.

1- Derrick Brown
2- Denzel Mims
3- Malik Harrison

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lots of talk this week about a tag and trade for Chris Jones.

Can you imagine if we were able to add Chris Jones and Derrick Brown? Our D-line instantly becomes a strength of the team, and we become very very difficult to run on.

Add in an athletic ILB in round 3 like Malik Harrison...and our defense becomes pretty special.

1- Derrick Brown
2- Denzel Mims
3- Malik Harrison
Sorry I don’t agree with you. Jones missed some games this year ( like most). To tie that much up in one player leaves a huge hole with nowhere to go if said player gets injured. I’d rather have two 10m guys than one 20m guy.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose