Heard on KDUS that both Johnson and Pace are not going to participate in drills!

RedStorm

Next NY Gov
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by mizzoucardfan
I don't disagree with some of your logic Azcb. However, as a player who would want to be successful in the NFL, I personally would take every opportunity that I had to learn my new job, and that means participating in every mini camp. Maybe I just expect the players that are going to be Cardinals to be as interested in their success as I am. :wave:

Also, the Cards need to see this as an investment in their employee's (player's) success.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In a wierd way, I think this whole thread proves that signing Smith was not a PR move. If the Cardinals really cared about PR, they would change the way they handle draft picks. This stuff with the waivers and the annual holdouts just kill 'em in the public's eye.

Ed B

The Matt Joyce of Posting
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The Cardinals will come to realize (probably in about 15 more years) that they only hurt themselves with this stance.

Like it or not, the players have all the leverage in the damn world. We drafted Pace and Johnson because we're desperate for help at those positions so the "Screw'em, let them sit out and go back in the draft" idea is pretty stupid.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Originally posted by ajcardfan
In a wierd way, I think this whole thread proves that signing Smith was not a PR move. If the Cardinals really cared about PR, they would change the way they handle draft picks. This stuff with the waivers and the annual holdouts just kill 'em in the public's eye.

I would amend that to not entirely a PR move. Surely you believe that his signing had PR in the equation...especially considering this is still Cowboys country. I don't believe that was the only reason as some do but clearly they had that intention otherwise they wouldn't be pushing him so hard in their marketing.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Russ Smith
Shane without getting into a pissing match, why does it sound logical to you that Pace and Johnson should sign because "many players before them" did, but it sounds illogical to you for the Cards to change their policy because every other team does it differently?

Seems a bit hypocritical to me.

Russ Im not being hypocritical at all. If you read the first post I was referring to AZCB34 stance that none of us would sign the waiver if in the "same position"

I merely gave examples that show he is incorrect! Showing that people do play without signing the waiver and that that many of us who say that we would as well would do it!!

Also I am of the stance that these players try and hold the teams hostage for money! I am glad the Cardinals take the stance they do and dont give in to the status quo around the league! Just because the other team dont want to protect themeselves thats there problem!

Please someone tell me ONE SINGLE PLAYER that you know of that has had a "career ending" injury in non-contact May football camp??????

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by ajcardfan

Sorry AJ but if you believe that signing was anything but a PR move you are silly. This is apples and oranges!

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Shane H
Granted its not the couple million had he signed a contract but it is a nice chunk of change. Plus we all know how the Bidwells are if they say they will negotiate in good faith you can pretty much bank that thats what they are going to do! They are known for loyalty and keeping there word!

uh - can anyone say Chris Gedney?

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score
Originally posted by cheesebeef
uh - can anyone say Chris Gedney?

chlis gredney... crist glenrey... chruse gordney...

No. It's too hard for me.
What's the secret to your uncanny verbal skills?

Damn your sparkling word play.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by SECTION 11

What's the secret to your uncanny verbal skills?

I'd tell you, but then I'd have to fecans!

Walter Mitchell

All Star
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
My feeling is that all the draftees should stick together and protest this ridiculous stance of the Cardinals. These players have busted their butts to get into a position to be drafted and simply cannot and should not take the risk of getting hurt in mini-camp without yet signing a contract. They should protect themselves and their futures in the best and most reasonable manner.

One would think that the Cardinals would want to do everything in their power to protect their players as well. This would show that the Cardinals value the well-being of their players and their futures.

In addition, the Cardinals, by expecting the players to accept "informal" (the term itself is wide open to interpretation) injury agreements, are putting thier players in an unnecessary predicament, where players who choose to protect themselves are likely to become ostracized by many of their new teammates, and even worse, by coaches and administrators. This is an egregious error on the Cardinals' part. It sets a very poor example and tone for the beginning of a new year.

Bill Bidwill has made some strides in contract dealings and expectations recently, but sticking to this arrangement is a glaring reminder of his stubborn and anachronistic ways.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Please someone tell me ONE SINGLE PLAYER that you know of that has had a "career ending" injury in non-contact May football camp??????

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by SweetD
Didn't it happen to Jumaul Anderson??

Nope he blew both his knees in games!

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

So if we knew one that would mean you agree with the players? I don't know of any player who has had a career ending injury in minicamp...but it could have happened and still can. One bad step or move can still end a career.

Coming up with a name doesn't mean anything furthers nobody's argument. It doesn't change the dynamics of the issue...and that is it could happen, not that it ever has.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by AZCB34
So if we knew one that would mean you agree with the players? I don't know of any player who has had a career ending injury in minicamp...but it could have happened and still can. One bad step or move can still end a career.

Coming up with a name doesn't mean anything furthers nobody's argument. It doesn't change the dynamics of the issue...and that is it could happen, not that it ever has.

Actually it is another perfect example and a valid argument. Whether you choose to see that is up to you!

RedStorm

Next NY Gov
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Tim Rosenbauh?? (sp)

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Actually it is another perfect example and a valid argument. Whether you choose to see that is up to you!

And that is because since nobody can come up with a name (I am not even bothering trying to look since a past injury isn't the crux of the issue) that you feel you are right. But past names don't mean anything to this issue. Alas, your mind is made up and nothing will change it. Injuries happen all the time and minicamps are no exception. Just ask Correll Buckhalter about his season ending (not career ending) injury in minicamp.

RedStorm

Next NY Gov
Supporting Member
Reaction score

If you do not see this as being an issue then you can reasonable agree that it would be in the Cards best interest to issue a waiver since no one would ever get hurt.

Also, as far as giving the agent some advantage in contract negotiations...well....start negotiating now... or sooner.....it has to start somewhere.

Graves wants to bake the cake and eat it too.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
This is so stupid! All the team has to do is take out a short term insurance policy to cover the players for say 2 mil each a conservative figure and that shold suffice. How much can a policy like that cost?

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Cardinals.Ken
Rosenbach!

Rosenbach didnt have a career ending injury. He retired basically shocking the Cards if I remember right who had no idea he wasnt going to play anymore!

Correct me if Im wrong Ken??

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score
Rosenbach didnt have a career ending injury. He retired basically shocking the Cards if I remember right who had no idea he wasnt going to play anymore!

I think he did blow out his knee. If I remember correctly.

RedStorm

Next NY Gov
Supporting Member
Reaction score

After the injury he moved back to Idaho or something. I do not think he tried to play after that. I guess that would be career ending.