Head Coach Options

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
There are a few good options still out there. This team has some young talent and movable pieces, so it is not that bad of a situation to get into. Still it is 3-4 years away form being relevant.

Possible options:
Monty Williams (Preferred)
Adrian Griffin
Mark Jackson
Ime Udoka
Dan Majerle

Blow it all up and bring in Phil Jackson as GM & Coach run the triangle with Booker & Jackson as Jordan/Pippen

sinsay

Veteran
Reaction score
Mark Jackson

Scott Skiles

IME (spurs)

Mike Brown

Mo Cheeks

Ron Adams

Monty Williams

Larry Brown

James Posey

Adrian Griffin

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I actually wouldn't mind Monty Williams, he could be a good choice. He's probably one of the cheaper coaches with experience that's why I think there is a chance that happens. I'd rather look at Ettore Messina if we got someone from San Antonio over Ime Udoka. I think they should see if Dave Blatt would have any interest also.

Mark Jackson isn't someone I'd prefer but wouldn't be disappointed with him either. He's sort of the Anti-Watson from what I've read, a negative version who created a "Us vs Them" style with the Warriors before being let go.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
It should be someone who actually knows how to teach team basketball. Here is what the Suns don't want:

* someone who everyone says will be "a great future coach" on the basis of no evidence
* someone who "emphasizes defense" by saying the word "defense" a lot, and does nothing else
* a "players' coach" who's more interested in being liked than in being effective
* someone who has never been a head coach before, or who has failed in every opportunity he has been given
* someone whose idea of "analysis" is to speak utter platitudes in an aggressive tone of voice

It should be someone who is either old school or connected to old school. For example, Ty Corbin was Jerry Sloan's assistant for seven years. He had to have learned something -- and, even better, by sitting alongside Watson for two years, he also knows what not to do. I don't know whether that makes him a strong candidate, but it's enough to get him past the first cut. True, he hasn't done well in the head-coaching chances he has gotten, so maybe that rules him out, but at least he has some of the right qualifications.

I'm not convinced by Triano.

I want George Karl.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
It should be someone who actually knows how to teach team basketball. Here is what the Suns don't want:

* someone who everyone says will be "a great future coach" on the basis of no evidence
* someone who "emphasizes defense" by saying the word "defense" a lot, and does nothing else
* a "players' coach" who's more interested in being liked than in being effective
* someone who has never been a head coach before, or who has failed in every opportunity he has been given
* someone whose idea of "analysis" is to speak utter platitudes in an aggressive tone of voice

It should be someone who is either old school or connected to old school. For example, Ty Corbin was Jerry Sloan's assistant for seven years. He had to have learned something -- and, even better, by sitting alongside Watson for two years, he also knows what not to do. I don't know whether that makes him a strong candidate, but it's enough to get him past the first cut. True, he hasn't done well in the head-coaching chances he has gotten, so maybe that rules him out, but at least he has some of the right qualifications.

I want George Karl.
George Karl would want too much control. Ain’t going to happen.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Mark Jackson

Scott Skiles

IME (spurs)

Mike Brown

Mo Cheeks

Ron Adams

Monty Williams

Larry Brown

James Posey

Adrian Griffin

Yikes. That's not a list that wows me. Brown is old and Mark Jackson is a rich man's Earl Watson. I'd take Monty and Skiles, but wouldn't have much excitement about doing so.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I want George Karl.
I'm still going Doug Collins before Karl.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Ty Corbin was Jerry Sloan's assistant for seven years. He had to have learned something.
So was Jeff Hornacek.

I'm hoping for someone with Head Coach experience. Let leadership be part of their resume rather than a hope for the future. And, yes, I am including Thunder Dan's head coaching college as experience.

sinsay

Veteran
Reaction score
Yikes. That's not a list that wows me. Brown is old and Mark Jackson is a rich man's Earl Watson. I'd take Monty and Skiles, but wouldn't have much excitement about doing so.

Mike Brown is not old for coaching age. Has coached some great players won a ton of games.
Still, in the mix with GS understand the current NBA systems

Has won games for GS filling in.

Praxis

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
What if we offered a monster contract to Coach Cal?

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Karl is toxic and Collins is 66. I understand Watson is young and passive but going too far to the opposite of him could backfire again. I think JVG and Blatt are somewhere in between. Van Gundy seems to like his announcing gig plus he's making good money and Blatt may hate the NBA after Cleveland.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I'm still going Doug Collins before Karl.

For some reason I thought Collins was a lot older than Karl, but in fact they're the same age. Collins would be good too. I just consider him a little too whiny. It's like he's never gotten over being Michael Jordan's coach and now he has something of an inferiority complex.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard