Hatfields and McCoys

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
I watched it and I found it to be quite entertaining. I would definitely recommend watching it.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought it was really good. Especially when I read up on it a bit after the first episode and it was pretty true to history.

Highest rated cable show that wasn't a news or sports broadcast.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Turned it off after 40 minutes. Too slow for me.

The point when I turned it off...... Hey Hatfield! "You stole my PIG!" Ugh.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Spolier Alert Shane!

Turned it off after 40 minutes. Too slow for me.

The point when I turned it off...... Hey Hatfield! "You stole my PIG!" Ugh.

Then you turned it off at the wrong time. Just because the reasons for the feud wasn't something as grandiose as the murder of the Archduke Ferdinand doesn't mean it wasn't a significant event and the pig incident was the catalyst for the feud. See, unlike today, unless you were extremely wealthy or lived in a metropolitan area, you had to grow your own produce and raise your own meat so if someone steals a pig from you, it's a big deal. That said, the pig incident is keeping with the history and considering that it was a bloody feud resulting in multiple deaths mostly on the Hatfield side, it was worth mentioning.

NMCard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I thought it was great. I made a point to make the start of shows all three nights. Things would have been much different for both families if they would have just put bullets into the two main instigators (1 per side) early in the feud.

Reaction score
I thought it was really good. Especially when I read up on it a bit after the first episode and it was pretty true to history.
I thought it seemed to put the Hatfield position in a more favorable light than that of the McCoys. It seemed the writers chose a side. I thought that it couldn't have historically been that clear.

Agree, disagree; comment?

Reaction score
Just because the reasons for the feud wasn't something as grandiose as the murder of the Archduke Ferdinand doesn't mean it wasn't a significant event and the pig incident was the catalyst for the feud. See, unlike today, unless you were extremely wealthy or lived in a metropolitan area, you had to grow your own produce and raise your own meat so if someone steals a pig from you, it's a big deal. That said, the pig incident is keeping with the history and considering that it was a bloody feud resulting in multiple deaths mostly on the Hatfield side, it was worth mentioning.
Keep in mind this was during the same era that men were hung or otherwise killed for horse-theft...

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought it seemed to put the Hatfield position in a more favorable light than that of the McCoys. It seemed the writers chose a side. I thought that it couldn't have historically been that clear.

I guess because the letter to lay down arms at the end came from the Hatfield side, and the special needs Hatfield kid was hung (truth), it might seem so. But, damn, McCoy had all four of his sons and one of his girls killed, his wife crazy and another daughter dying young after giving birth to a Hatfield out of wedlock. The worst was the three of the sons tied to trees and executed in cold blood with no trial. I thought that was the most brutal act of the whole affair. In light of that, the posse from the McCoys was understandable although it killed a lot more than arrested.

IMO, neither side looked very good. Johnsy Hatfield was maybe the most likable, but he was rife with moral faults.

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I started watching it while on vacation in California. Thought it was good until I fell asleep (not due to the show, but rather being tired from all the fun during the day). I kinda wish I had it on DVR cause I would definitely check it out.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

Nah, I disagree. Remember, the first blow in the show came when Uncle Jim murdered one of the McCoys.

I guess because the letter to lay down arms at the end came from the Hatfield side, and the special needs Hatfield kid was hung (truth), it might seem so. But, damn, McCoy had all four of his sons and one of his girls killed, his wife crazy and another daughter dying young after giving birth to a Hatfield out of wedlock. The worst was the three of the sons tied to trees and executed in cold blood with no trial. I thought that was the most brutal act of the whole affair. In light of that, the posse from the McCoys was understandable although it killed a lot more than arrested.

IMO, neither side looked very good. Johnsy Hatfield was maybe the most likable, but he was rife with moral faults.

Well, it wasn't all of his sons, but that had to be a hell of a blow. The problem is, they very well had it coming, and in no way would they have been convicted in Kentucky. I don't blame Hatfield for that one at all.

RedStorm

Next NY Gov
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I had that same impression.

Sent from my HTC EVO using Tapatalk 2

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BTW, who else thought it was a really BAD IDEA to let the special needs kid watch the backdoor of the McCoys cabin during the ambush all by himself? :oops: lol

OP
OP
Shane

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just finished 2nd of 3.... Damn damn good. Thanks all. can't believe some of you quit watching this. Great acing all the way around. Tom Berenger needs to win an Emmy for his role. Fanflippingtastic!

OP
OP
Shane

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Finished. Very very good!

RedStorm

Next NY Gov
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Try watching the show with people from West Virginia. Talk about history coming alive. Lol.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fun fact: Mike D'Antoni is descended from the Hatfields.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard