Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
There were a lot of You're the Man Now Dogs on it, and tons of other things. It kind of reached out of the bookosphere.

Totally. It quickly became an Internet meme and a pop-culture reference.

I knew about it ffs. ;)

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Totally. It quickly became an Internet meme and a pop-culture reference.

I knew about it ffs. ;)

You knew about it before I did, FFS, because of the internet meme aspect of it.

I avoided the Web until I finished the book. That stuff was up day one...

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks, all.... for the info on the Harry/LV connection. It all still seems pretty weak (especially in a story of such detail), but ok.... IT'S A MOVIE/BOOK, GARTH!!! ;)

p.s. If they kill off Harry in the end, I may have to go on a book burning spree of all Harry Potter books.

Last edited:

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks, all.... for the info on the Harry/LV connection. It all still seems pretty weak (especially in a story of such detail), but ok.... IT'S A MOVIE/BOOK, GARTH!!! ;)

Well, the reason "something went wrong" is because Harry's mom (Lilly) was given the chance to save herself and instead died to protect her infant son...this produced a "protection" over Harry from love, which Voldemort knows nothing of...he is unloved and without friends. When he tried to kill the baby harry, the protection from Lilly caused the killing spell to misfire, creating the scar, the connection, and turning Voldemort into a "worse than ghost" off to hide and try to come back to life.

Dumbledore and Voldy disagree on much, but the power of love is one of the main things they don't agree on. There is a strong theme of love and family and friends in the book, and on harry's side against the pure power of Voldemort; the scar/connection is at root, just a symbol of the stark difference between the two of them (dark side, light side of the force).

Maybe that helps even a teensy bit more.

The spell didn't just happen to make them enemies forever...it was his mother's love and sacrifice that caused all the events we have now in the harry potter world.

Last edited:

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I recently re-watched the 3rd movie. It was better than I remembered. An excellent movie, of course, but they really botched things by putting Wormtail on the marauder's map so early (Lupin and Dumbledore would have been all over it the moment Harry told Lupin). They also screwed up by giving stupid screen time to Cuaron's pet talking head instead of giving us Harry's dad. We at least got to see a bit of the younger James in movie 5.

Also, revealing the villain at the beginning of Movie 4 really stunk.

Nasser22

Sec. 32: Go Devils!
Reaction score
I heard Naomi Watts wants to be in the next Potter movie as Draco's mom. It was a rumor on Flixter.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I heard Naomi Watts wants to be in the next Potter movie as Draco's mom. It was a rumor on Flixter.

That has been refuted, last I heard. Not true, until we hear otherwise.

Check mugglenet.com or pottercast.com or Leaky-Cauldron.org.

Yes, I'm a Potthead and a dork.

Nasser22

Sec. 32: Go Devils!
Reaction score
Oh darn...it seemed like a new rumor so I thought I had something here.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
Recently watched it. 5 down and 3 to go!

Do they ever...in the theater when Harry was shown in the opening scene, the fangirls were all a'twitter with gasps and ooooohhh...

I didn't know Daniel Radcliffe was officially a "sex symbol" now, but doing nude stage plays must have done wonders for his groupie base (and it has done wonders for his acting).

Nice word choice in july 2007. :D

Here goes...

Voldemort killed James and Lilly Potter, but when he tried it on the baby Harry something went wrong, Harry got the lightning bolt scar and Voldy became akin to a floating soul...no body and no power...in the first book/movie he was on the professor's head, trying to get his body back, feeding off of unicorn blood to live, etc.

Harry is "The Boy Who Lived" and there is a strong connection between the two. The prophecy that Harry recovers in movie 5 here, in the books, contained other information about him being the only one who could stop Voldemort, and that he'd be born at a certain timeframe and that Voldy would mark him as an equal, and then that neither could live while the other survived. Voldy didn't hear all of that, just that there was a threat to him in the form of a baby being born at a certain time, and attacked the Potters. You'll find out how he was protected in book 6 (if you haven't already...I don't remember when that happens).

Harry and Voldemort are two sides of the same coin, it seems...connected through a weird aftershock of the spell that didn't kill Harry...even their wands are similar...Voldy's and Harry's are "brothers" and both have on of Fawkes' tailfeathers in them. Now that Harry's blood was used to bring Voldemort back, they are connected even MORE than before, so much so that in the BOOK when Dumbledore finds out that Harry's blood was used his face is said to flash a "look of triumph."

Also, when Dumbledore fights Voldy at the end of the latest movie/book, the spell he uses on him is one that is not meant to kill Voldemort...that's just to tease you for book and movie 6. :)

Well, the reason "something went wrong" is because Harry's mom (Lilly) was given the chance to save herself and instead died to protect her infant son...this produced a "protection" over Harry from love, which Voldemort knows nothing of...he is unloved and without friends. When he tried to kill the baby harry, the protection from Lilly caused the killing spell to misfire, creating the scar, the connection, and turning Voldemort into a "worse than ghost" off to hide and try to come back to life.

Dumbledore and Voldy disagree on much, but the power of love is one of the main things they don't agree on. There is a strong theme of love and family and friends in the book, and on harry's side against the pure power of Voldemort; the scar/connection is at root, just a symbol of the stark difference between the two of them (dark side, light side of the force).

Maybe that helps even a teensy bit more.

The spell didn't just happen to make them enemies forever...it was his mother's love and sacrifice that caused all the events we have now in the harry potter world.

Excellent summaries. I wish I would have read these before I started the series. I understood what happened, but didn't think about it with this depth.