Gortat and the 57th pick

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Gortat will reportedly sign an offer sheet with Dallas for the full MLE.

Selling him to Orlando was just one of many money-saving moves during the current Sarver era that didn't get much attention at the time. But I keep hearing how we don't do that anymore and yet again this year we sold our 57th pick for cash, the same pick that we used to draft Gortat with and sell him in 2005. So why hasn't there been more criticism of the Suns again selling a pick this year? I guess we'll find out in a few years if this move will too come back to haunt us. Haven't the management yet learn from their mistakes, or are they simply incapable of thinking about the long-term?

For those who wish to revisit our recent draft history:
Players drafted by Phoenix and subsequently traded since 2004:

• [*]2004: Loul Deng
    [*]2005: Nate Robinson
    [*]2005: Marcin Gortat
    [*]2006: Rajon Rondo
    [*]2006: Sergio Rodriguez
    [*]2007: Rudy Fernandez
  • 2009: Emir Preldžič

Assets received in return:

• Cash or draft picks that were later sold too

Other recent players drafted with picks that at one point belonged to Phoenix:

• Sean May (given away to unload White)
  • David Lee (Barbosa trade, at least we got value in return)
  • Serge Ibaka (given away to unload KT)
  • Malik Heirston (Dragic trade)
  • DeJuan Blair (Dragic trade)
  • 2010 Unprotected first round pick? (given away to unload KT)

Last edited:

PetryJr

Registered
Reaction score

Selling him to Orlando was just one of many money-saving moves during the current Sarver era that didn't get much attention at the time. But I keep hearing how we don't do that anymore and yet again this year we sold our 57th pick for cash, the same pick that we used to draft Gortat with and sell him in 2005. So why hasn't there been more criticism of the Suns again selling a pick this year? I guess we'll find out in a few years if this move will too come back to haunt us. Haven't the management yet learn from their mistakes, or are they simply incapable of thinking about the long-term?

I think people haven't criticized it because it's a completely normal move in the NBA these days. Many different teams have done it over the last few years. You can argue whether it's smart to do so, but if the front office doesn't think there's anyone worth the pick that late in the draft, I understand selling the pick. Of course, when a player that late in the draft pans out, then it looks bad. But it happens to every team in the league. That's why there are so many successful undrafted players in the NBA.

If the Suns thought Gortat, or anyone else available at that point, was worth the pick, they would've kept it, most likely. People forget that, last year, the Suns actually paid some money to San Antonio to move up in the secound round. And it was an early pick too.

Now, if you were talking about first-round picks, then it would be a different story. But when they sell a secound-round pick, their mistake isn't trying to save money; it's not evaluating the players available properly. At least that's the way I see it.

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
What is there to lament losing Gortat? He is the latest big white guy everyone wants to love? I don't think there's been any reason to blast Sarver for that one, there are plenty of bigger faux pas to blast him for, at least IMO.

Sorry, but him signing with Dallas will be no big deal at all.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What is there to lament losing Gortat? He is the latest big white guy everyone wants to love? I don't think there's been any reason to blast Sarver for that one, there are plenty of bigger faux pas to blast him for, at least IMO.

Sorry, but him signing with Dallas will be no big deal at all.

But with Lopez as the Suns starting center Gortat might have looked good in a Suns uniform right now. Lopez is not ready to start. The Suns need to address the center position. Presently Gortat is more than Lopez. The Suns under Sarver routinely use draft picks as currency.

tobiazz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

It is probably worth noting that the Suns would not have necessarily chosen the same players with those picks. I'm guessing that they traded the picks then made the selection chosen by Portland, Orlando, etc.

That does not excuse selling picks, but I doubt the Suns would have been as successful at selecting good players. I really doubt they would have drafted the poor shooting Rondo. I would expect some more Lopezesque selections.

Ollie

Croissant Eater
Reaction score
Selling a 2nd round pick used to draft an euro prospect must be the height of cheapness and mismanagement.

You can keep his rights as long as you wish, stash him in Europe for years and give him an unguaranteed contract whenever you like, that's the perfect no risk high reward situation. Ask the Spurs.