Goran Dragic has arrived

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
In terms of confidence, our backup Point Guard has arrived.

In terms of participation, he is getting there quickly.

Last night against the Hornets, who previously dominated the Suns, Dragic played a key role as Steve Nash rested to be ready for the Lakers back-to-back tonight.

Nash played 23 minutes and Goran played 25.

In their combined 48 minutes at the Point, they totaled 26 points and 17 assists.

Dragic even led the team with seven rebounds. Frye, Amare, Hill and Richardson (the four starters alongside Nash) each had six.

What a pleasure it is to see a legitimate backup Point Guard, which has probably been the #1 need of the Suns for years, but not its #1 priority.

Another outstanding accomplishment engineered by Alvin Gentry.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
Wait. I thought he was the worst player in the NBA last year and had zero chance of improving?

Still can't believe people actually thought that. He's a very raw euro project who's just now starting to realize his NBA potential.

Kerr is starting to look like a genius. Dragic, Richardson, Dudley, Lou, Frye. All of these guys were either hit and miss. And all of them are looking to be hits.

I also have to give him (and Sarver?) credit for realizing that Porter was killing this team. Gentry is the perfect balance between D'antoni and Porter. Plays a very similar offense to D'antoni, but makes sure they hustle their asses off on defense.

(I can't believe I just said Kerr is starting to look like a genius.)

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
He still needs to work on passing, and seeing defenders over playing the lanes to steal the pass. He has all the skills to be a very good point in the league though, and his jumper has improved a lot.

atikiN

Registered
Reaction score
He still needs to work on passing, and seeing defenders over playing the lanes to steal the pass. He has all the skills to be a very good point in the league though, and his jumper has improved a lot.
Haven't been able to watch a whole lot of him this season but from what I've seen last night, this guy is playing with a lot more confidence. I look forward to seeing his progress throughout the season!

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
What I love seeing from Dragic is the hustle & tenacity he has... not only on defense, but also going into the paint & battling for rebounds. He's been getting offensive & defensive rebounds in traffic & against centers & power forwards & it just looks like he has no fear. He plays scrappy & seems to look for contact.

Also, there's been a few times where he turns the ball over and he immediately makes up for it with a steal or a 3. He's been shooting the 3 with confidence & without hesitating.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What I love seeing from Dragic is the hustle & tenacity he has... not only on defense, but also going into the paint & battling for rebounds. He's been getting offensive & defensive rebounds in traffic & against centers & power forwards & it just looks like he has no fear. He plays scrappy & seems to look for contact.

Also, there's been a few times where he turns the ball over and he immediately makes up for it with a steal or a 3. He's been shooting the 3 with confidence & without hesitating.

Dragic seems to be playing with the same tenacity as Dudley and Amundson. It is such a relief to look forward to seeing the bench players get some time and bring a whole new defensive focus to the team. Who would have thought the Suns (prior to the season) could bring such defensive intensity and still keep their offense purring.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Dragic seems to be playing with the same tenacity as Dudley and Amundson. It is such a relief to look forward to seeing the bench players get some time and bring a whole new defensive focus to the team. Who would have thought the Suns (prior to the season) could bring such defensive intensity and still keep their offense purring.

Th offense doesn't exactly "purr" when the second team comes in but they're definitely getting the job done. I don't think I've ever seen a team with two such distinct units. Nash leads the all NBA offense and Dragic leads the stifling defensive second unit.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dragic is definitely the biggest surprise to me. I thought other then maybe a couple games he looked horrible in pre-season. I was expecting zero out of him. I don't remember the last time I have seen a player play that much different then in pre-season. It's almost as if a light switch turned on with the kid. I think Gentry said it best....it's all confidence with Dragic.

I am not ready to anoint him the future PG of the Suns just yet (he has a long way to go) but the way I look at it is that at the very least we have a competent backup PG emerging. Something this team has lacked since Nash got here.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whoa Nellie. Goran is finally a very serviceable NBA player. The fact we're so excited for him has more to do with how BAD the backup point guards preceding him have been (post-Joe Johnson). Goran is in no way "arrived" in the sense he should be starting -- not for a good team, anyway. He's still a bit too careless, but his hustle and his instinct (and improved shooting) are a great sign.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's a stat for you: Dragic is 12th among NBA point guards in PER. He's just behind Jameer Nelson and ahead of such starters like Will Bynum, T.J. Ford, Devin Harris, Mo Williams, Kyle Lowry, Derrick Rose, and a bunch of other players that make a lot more money than he does. The biggest reason are his rebounds and assists per 40. Way up, way beyond projections. However, he's only slightly improved his turnover numbers. That's still an issue. If he could drop his TO ratio, he'd be near the top of the league at his position.

goldseraph

Irrelevance Sucks :(
Reaction score
He's a decent backup, that's it. He definitely seems more confident this year which is good, but I hope he's not our PG of the future.

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Here's a stat for you: Dragic is 12th among NBA point guards in PER. He's just behind Jameer Nelson and ahead of such starters like Will Bynum, T.J. Ford, Devin Harris, Mo Williams, Kyle Lowry, Derrick Rose, and a bunch of other players that make a lot more money than he does. The biggest reason are his rebounds and assists per 40. Way up, way beyond projections. However, he's only slightly improved his turnover numbers. That's still an issue. If he could drop his TO ratio, he'd be near the top of the league at his position.

That's a nice stat, but he's also going against the 2nd unit of every team. It's also 9 games into the season. Hopefully he keeps improving and playing with the aggressiveness & confidence that he has been so far.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
I don't think anyone is saying he is a Starter/AllStar just yet but he is very young and if his current development is indicitive of where he is going, then he will be a starter in this league for many years to come.

I like his speed from end to end and defensive intensity.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
He's still a pretty weak ball handler and hasn't handled pressure very well.

S_Nash

Funky Fresh
Reaction score
You guys have got it all wrong. Mistaken identity.

Jason Richardson and Jared Dudley have arrived. Dragic's just the porter.

Reaction score
He's still a pretty weak ball handler and hasn't handled pressure very well.
glass half empty type of guy eh?

Its easy to see he's improved vastly, he may not be a premier PG, may never not be, but he is doing a decent job as the backup. and you gotta love the hustle and passion he has begun to show. especially when he makes a mistake. he's also shooting pretty well.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's a nice stat, but he's also going against the 2nd unit of every team. It's also 9 games into the season. Hopefully he keeps improving and playing with the aggressiveness & confidence that he has been so far.

So do all the other back-up point guards, but I can't find any of them among the top 30.

Like I said, he's not ready to start, but it's pretty easy to quantify his improvement.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
He isn't really good yet. Turns it over a ton, often gets stuck somewhere when he dribbles into someone and picks up the dribble and I always get the feeling he has absolutely no clue how to run the plays on offense other than trying to drive and kick it out.

I'm surprised that he can nail set shots from beyond the arc. Could be a fluke because his shot definately doesn't look pretty, not even from the foul line.

His defense is good though.

Cheesewater

(ex-Uriah Heep)
Reaction score
I'd like to see him on the court with Stoudemire, Hill, Richardson, and Frye. Not in a game, mind you. Like in practice, just to see how he operates with the starters.

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
From what i've seen Goran has made some leaps this season,especially in confidence, which can elevate one's entire game in the right situation.
I'd like to see him become a little more aggressive when attacking the basket,but his shot selection has improved vastly IMO.

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Goran is terrible. Please don't drink the koolaid. its contaminated.
Goran will be ok i think.

What this team needs is your boy to step up and give us 25-30ppg 10rpg and a couple blocks per.:)

Amare is still rounding into form obviously.

How do you think he's adjusting to the goggles?
IIRC he removes them for foul shots right?
His FT% is down thus far, maybe he should just keep them on.

Black Jesus

No Talent Ass-Clown
Reaction score
Goran will be ok i think.

What this team needs is your boy to step up and give us 25-30ppg 10rpg and a couple blocks per.:)

Amare is still rounding into form obviously.

How do you think he's adjusting to the goggles?
IIRC he removes them for foul shots right?
His FT% is down thus far, maybe he should just keep them on.

Amare definitely needs to step it up right now. But having Amare down low with Nash driving is what opens up 3-pt shooters. If Amare would show some intensity on D that would be nice.

He has a ways to go, but I think he will adjust to the new team and find a role that works for him personally and the team. Because lets get real, Amare needs recognition.

In my personal opinion, we should trade Barbosa and Goran for a backup pointguard that can actually play, or at least manage a game effectively. Barbosa doesn't seem to be a favorite of Gentry.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monti Ossentfort