Goldschmidt traded to Cards

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
What do the tweets say?

For some reason, my phone won't open up any of the tweets. It's been that way Last 3 or 4 days and I'm not sure why? Anyone have any advice to try?

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
What do the tweets say?

For some reason, my phone won't open up any of the tweets. It's been that way Last 3 or 4 days and I'm not sure why? Anyone have any advice to try?
It’s a picture of an awesome thank you letter to AZ from Goldy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Fair enough.
I’ll stop with the tweets (not just here... on the entire site). Kind of tired of it anyway

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Ronin, you do you, boo.

I personally like your tweet posts, just like I like krepitch’s tweet posts in P&R.

I really hate Twitter the website so it’s nice to come here to get updates, even if it’s via a tweet.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Fair enough.
I’ll stop with the tweets (not just here... on the entire site). Kind of tired of it anyway

Don't quit on us now Ronin. Good to see the news on twitter as I don't have it and never view it.

Willie D

Veteran
Reaction score
Mike Petriello

@mike_petriello

I keep getting this impression that Cards fans aren't happy with Paul Goldschmidt? I get that he's Not Bryce Harper, so fine -- get him too! -- but good lord, Paul Goldschmidt is incredible.
Aww, that's just jibber jabber. Cardinals fans are just itching to ink Goldy to a long-term contract, and both DeWitt and Moz have said they'll let the season play out and not rush him into things. The Cardinals fans know deep down they weren't going to get Harper, and didn't really need Machado.

Look, St. Louis was in that polar vortex. Sometimes my relatives get brain freeze because they can't make it The Charcoal House on Manchester. :D

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Aww, that's just jibber jabber. Cardinals fans are just itching to ink Goldy to a long-term contract, and both DeWitt and Moz have said they'll let the season play out and not rush him into things. The Cardinals fans know deep down they weren't going to get Harper, and didn't really need Machado.

Look, St. Louis was in that polar vortex. Sometimes my relatives get brain freeze because they can't make it The Charcoal House on Manchester. :D
More than likely.:)

Willie D

Veteran
Reaction score
Cardinals fans always have lofty expectations. 1B in particular. Ask Albert Pujols. Or before him...Jack Clard, Keith Hernandez, or if you wanna go old skool, Ripper Collins from the Gashouse Gang.

But we're also realists. We knew an AL team was going to sign Pujols for a 10-year fortune. And they waved goodbye and thanked him for the memories. Now what are the Halos stuck with? An aging first baseman who is owed a *****-ton of cash. And you know his BBHOF plaque will be red--Cardinal red, mind you. :D

Goldy landed in a great spot. A 100% baseball town who will embrace him. The park will fill up, the team will be, at minimum, competitive. I know a lot of people speak about the "Cardinal Way." Personally, I tyhink that's bunko. They sucked in the 1970s and early 1990s. But the point is: they make an effort. Who wants to be part of a "rebuild?" Sorry Torrey, that's what you got. I'd lsoil my shorts to se a Cardinals/Diamondbacks NLCS. But....

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Cardinals fans always have lofty expectations. 1B in particular. Ask Albert Pujols. Or before him...Jack Clard, Keith Hernandez, or if you wanna go old skool, Ripper Collins from the Gashouse Gang.

But we're also realists. We knew an AL team was going to sign Pujols for a 10-year fortune. And they waved goodbye and thanked him for the memories. Now what are the Halos stuck with? An aging first baseman who is owed a *****-ton of cash. And you know his BBHOF plaque will be red--Cardinal red, mind you. :D

Goldy landed in a great spot. A 100% baseball town who will embrace him. The park will fill up, the team will be, at minimum, competitive. I know a lot of people speak about the "Cardinal Way." Personally, I tyhink that's bunko. They sucked in the 1970s and early 1990s. But the point is: they make an effort. Who wants to be part of a "rebuild?" Sorry Torrey, that's what you got. I'd lsoil my shorts to se a Cardinals/Diamondbacks NLCS. But....
In terms of nostalgia, I wanted to see Goldy finish his career in Arizona. But letting him go was the right thing to do. Not just for the D-backs, but for Goldy's sake as well. Would he really have appreciated being the fading (however long it would take) star on a fading team.

He will not be expected to carry the Cardinals. But they will be in the running for a successful season and the D-backs will not. St. Louis is a very quality organization. I am happy for Goldy and will root for him to do well in whatever capacity the Cards put him. And, hey, now Fitzgerald and Goldy are both on the Cardinals. :D

Willie D

Veteran
Reaction score
He will be a welcome addition defensively to a team that was uncharactristically bad at fielding last season.

The "Cardinal Way" has it's good and bad sides, to be sure. On the good side, they once traded a promising young player named Steven Piscotty for basically nothing in trturn. Word had surfaced that his mother was dying of ALS. When interviewed, their GM said, "I knew his parents lived in the Bay Area, so I only made 2 calls: The Giants and The Athletics. Oakland called back first."

In the early 80s, they had a very good but petulant shortstop. And let's just say the Cardinal Way didn't work so well in the 1970s. So Gary Templeton once flew a one-finger salute to the fans after another loss. That didn't sit well with Augie, who also fired Harry Carey. Templeton was traded to San Diego the next day. Lucky for them they got an untested player in return named Ozzie Smith. :D

Goldy will have all this drilled into him. They will let him wander around the stadium at the various history exhibits (St. Louis people are good at history exhibits). He will meet people who remember the trade with the Scrubs that brought Lou Brock to town for some putz named Ernie Broglio. People who still remember the starting lineup in the 1982 World Series. How he absorbs it--anyone's guess. But he seems like a guy who would enjoy it and have some fun with it.

Hell, I haven't lived there for 39 years and I still remember that lineup (Darrell Porter, Keith Hernandez, Ken Oberkfell, Ozzie Smith, Tommy Herr, Lonnie Smith, Willie McGee & George Hendrick) :D

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
He will be a welcome addition defensively to a team that was uncharactristically bad at fielding last season.

The "Cardinal Way" has it's good and bad sides, to be sure. On the good side, they once traded a promising young player named Steven Piscotty for basically nothing in trturn. Word had surfaced that his mother was dying of ALS. When interviewed, their GM said, "I knew his parents lived in the Bay Area, so I only made 2 calls: The Giants and The Athletics. Oakland called back first."

In the early 80s, they had a very good but petulant shortstop. And let's just say the Cardinal Way didn't work so well in the 1970s. So Gary Templeton once flew a one-finger salute to the fans after another loss. That didn't sit well with Augie, who also fired Harry Carey. Templeton was traded to San Diego the next day. Lucky for them they got an untested player in return named Ozzie Smith. :D

Goldy will have all this drilled into him. They will let him wander around the stadium at the various history exhibits (St. Louis people are good at history exhibits). He will meet people who remember the trade with the Scrubs that brought Lou Brock to town for some putz named Ernie Broglio. People who still remember the starting lineup in the 1982 World Series. How he absorbs it--anyone's guess. But he seems like a guy who would enjoy it and have some fun with it.

Hell, I haven't lived there for 39 years and I still remember that lineup (Darrell Porter, Keith Hernandez, Ken Oberkfell, Ozzie Smith, Tommy Herr, Lonnie Smith, Willie McGee & George Hendrick) :D

No matter who my local team was, my backup favorite was always the Cardinals. All National League teams. I would never root for an American League team.

I never lived in St. Louis, but Stan Musial was always my favorite all-time player. I used an even more exaggerated version of his batting stance with my ankles touching . . . and a modified Duke Snider elbow parallel to the ground position from the waist up, with my upper torso tilted slightly back to eliminate an automatic uppercut caused by the elbow up. And stepping toward right, right-center, center, left-center or left with the swing.

The Man and The Duke in one batting stance. With a swing that was either slightly uppercut, level or toward the ground. 15 possible combinations on any particular swing. And with my feet together, like Stan, I stepped into the ball for momentum. It worked for me! :)

Goldy was special in a D-backs uniform. It will, nevertheless, be cool to see him in Cardinal red.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Enough of the Cardinals. St. Louis fans are by far the worst - arrogant, self-proclaimed "best fans in baseball" BS.

Newsflash, you are nothing special.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Enough of the Cardinals. St. Louis fans are by far the worst - arrogant, self-proclaimed "best fans in baseball" BS.

Newsflash, you are nothing special.
If I read you correctly . . . easy, sport! My team was always my NL hometown team. But I had a warm sport for the Cardinals players as a backup favorite, starting in the 1950's.

I had no experience with Cardinals fans. I do know that, when I was raised in New Jersey and saw many games at Ebbets Field, Dodger fans loved Stan The Man and I was one of them. He had class!

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
If I read you correctly . . . easy, sport! My team was always my NL hometown team. But I had a warm sport for the Cardinals players as a backup favorite, starting in the 1950's.

I had no experience with Cardinals fans. I do know that, when I was raised in New Jersey and saw many games at Ebbets Field, Dodger fans loved Stan The Man and I was one of them. He had class!

When I went to a couple of Cardinals games there (wearing a DBack's jersey I was treated with respect and asked a lot of interesting questions and many cool conversations about AZ. They were cool. And they know their baseball. At least that was my experience.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Still early on on this trade, however, given how Carson Kelly is coming along and IF Weaver can come back healthy, it’s more and more looking like the Dbacks won this trade...

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Still early on on this trade, however, given how Carson Kelly is coming along and IF Weaver can come back healthy, it’s more and more looking like the Dbacks won this trade...

Add to the fact that Walker is outperforming Goldy (and a whole lot cheaper) then the trade really looks lopsided at this point

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose