Go Jacks!

Mr.Dibbs

Cap Casualty
Reaction score
Football Selected to NCAA Division I –AA Playoffs
FLAGSTAFF, Ariz. - The Northern Arizona University football team was one of 16 teams selected to the NCAA I-AA Playoffs Sunday. NAU (8-3) will travel to face top-seeded McNeese State Saturday, Nov. 29 in Lake Charles, La. Game time is set for 7 p.m CST.

NAU is making its fourth I-AA playoff appearance (1996, 1999, 2001, 2003) and third in the last five seasons.

“We are excited to be in the playoffs,” said head coach Jerome Souers. “To represent the Big Sky Conference is an honor.”

NAU finished in a three-way tie for first place in the Big Sky Conference, earning the second conference title in school history and first since 1978. Montana State upset Montana Saturday creating the three-way tie for first place at 5-2.

“I have a hard time rooting for either of those schools in any setting,” joked Souers. “It was typical of that rivalry that anything can happen on any given Saturday. Montana State did a great job and deserves the automatic berth.”

The Big Sky Conference placed three teams in the bracket for the fourth time (1988, 1990,1994). It was the first time with the current eight-team Big Sky membership for three teams to make the field.

“Top to bottom there was as much parity as we have had in the conference,” said Souers. “It was nice that our conference gets the respect of having three teams chosen.”

McNeese State University (10-1) tops the bracket as the top seed after capturing the automatic qualifying berth from the Southland Conference. The Cowboys, who were the 2002 national runner-up, have won nine straight games since dropping a decision to I-A Kansas State University.

“If we are going to be the best, we have to beat the best,” said Payton Award candidate quarterback Jason Murrietta. “On any given day anyone can beat anyone.”

Said junior linebacker Bruce Branch,” We are going to approach this game like we have any other game. We have to take it one game at a time. The fact that they are No. 1 is about rankings. It comes down to playing on the field.”

I can't be the only NAU alumni on this board, am I?

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your basketball team getting plastered against the Cats.

Well, maybe not THAT sorry. :D

boisesuns

Standing Tall And Traded
Reaction score
i remember watching nau-boise state games. it wasn't that long ago. man we've come along way. what's their record this year?

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
NAU alum here! Great to see the Jacks go to the playoffs again, but I am a little disapointed that they have to face McNeese right away - NAU would not be facing the #1 team, except for after 9/11, the IAA committee decided to regionalize the playoffs, instead of national seeding.

NAU - the only Arizona team with a winning record!!
NAU - the only Arizona team to make the post-season!!

OP
OP
Mr.Dibbs

Mr.Dibbs

Cap Casualty
Reaction score
Originally posted by boisesuns
i remember watching nau-boise state games. it wasn't that long ago. man we've come along way. what's their record this year?

8-3

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
Originally posted by Dback Jon
NAU - the only Arizona team with a winning record!!
NAU - the only Arizona team to make the post-season!!

NAU - the only Arizona team never to win a post-season game!!

(And I wouldn't bet on it happening this year either)

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Renz
NAU - the only Arizona team never to win a post-season game!!

(And I wouldn't bet on it happening this year either)

Probably not - they have a tough opening draw against the #1 team in the country. Still, it is good to BE in the playoffs....

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monti Ossentfort