Gil Brandt’s greatest receivers of all time. Larry Fitzgerald #7

Red Bird

Veteran
Reaction score
So how much do you consider off-field things that affect your teammates in rankings like this?
I don't. His antics took place on the practice field and in the games. I consider those to be "on the field"

Reaction score
Don Hutson should be number one. He changed how the game was played. He lead the league in receptions eight out of his eleven seasons. When he retired he was the career leader in all the major categories and held 18 league records.
Lists such as the currently discussed one are good for discussion, but have no meaning beyond that. We know this.

For those who either never heard of Don Hutson, or compare him based upon career statistical data ought to do some reading, and or research. Don Hutson, not Jerry Rice or anyone else was the most dominant NFL WR of his era, ever! The only way a player's standing can be judged is with comparison to other players in the same era. You can't compare Hutson to Rice to Fitz, because they all have played in different eras of the NFL.

Hutson's numbers, i.e. - yards, catches, TD's, often more than DOUBLED those of the statistically second ranked WR of that ERA. Among others of his era, there simply was no comparison to Don Hutson! Hutson's performance was so beyond other WR's during this era, that if this current thread could have occurred at the end of his career, I believe there would be no discussion.

1942 Recieving Records: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/1942/receiving.htm

Last edited:

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Lists such as the currently discussed one are good for discussion, but have no meaning beyond that. We know this.

Agreed.

I love "best of all-time" and "Top 10" talk. There is no right answer.

The new twist I have brought into it, is you can also talk about "If I were making a football team, I would........"

Because there are the top 10 best guys, period, then within that top 10, you can breakdown the type of player you would want, and the system you would want, and who would be the best fit.

I'd take Earl Campbell over just about any running back, if I was utilizing a power running game. Again, person preference here, with a nod to Jim Brown, but Campbell is my guy.

Yet, if you want to spread the ball out, and pass, then I would want Marshall Faulk back there. Etc, etc.

Reaction score
The new twist I have brought into it, is you can also talk about "If I were making a football team, I would........"

Because there are the top 10 best guys, period, then within that top 10, you can breakdown the type of player you would want, and the system you would want, and who would be the best fit.

I'd take Earl Campbell over just about any running back, if I was utilizing a power running game. Again, person preference here, with a nod to Jim Brown, but Campbell is my guy.
What about Marion Motely?? LOL!