George Lucas Claims That Han Solo Never Shot First In Star Wars

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not true. Lucas has always stated from the beginning that the changes reflect his original vision. It's the personal attacks by "fans" that inspire him to defend himself.

But he didn't need to. Fans loved the movies as is. There was no need to change it. It would be like someone digitizing the Wizard of Oz.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some fans love the movies still despite the changes. For example, adding the Jaba scene in was great. Updating some of the FX was great as well. Did he need to make the changes? Maybe not. He didn't need to make the original movies either. It's his vision. It's his stories. The only people that care are older Star Wars fans. There is an entire new generation in love with Star Wars and they don't care.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Some fans love the movies still despite the changes. For example, adding the Jaba scene in was great. Updating some of the FX was great as well. Did he need to make the changes? Maybe not. He didn't need to make the original movies either. It's his vision. It's his stories. The only people that care are older Star Wars fans. There is an entire new generation in love with Star Wars and they don't care.

Very few fans love the movies despite the changes, and the only ones I've ever heard from have been on this site. Obviously he was able to do whatever he wanted with them, but saying the new generation of fans doesn't care is pretty much pointless--HE DIDN'T LEAVE ANY COPIES. Clearly people won't care that some version was changed when they can't view the original version in the first place.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very few fans love the movies despite the changes, and the only ones I've ever heard from have been on this site. Obviously he was able to do whatever he wanted with them, but saying the new generation of fans doesn't care is pretty much pointless--HE DIDN'T LEAVE ANY COPIES. Clearly people won't care that some version was changed when they can't view the original version in the first place.

I think you have it the opposite. Look at the sales figures of the special editions. Look at the tons of people who went to see the special editions. You only hear from the people that bitch about it because most people could care less. All these die hard "you can't touch a classic" people are the loudest in the forums. The people that like the changes or don't mind, don't go around posting that kind of stuff in forums. I have read message board after message board of this supposed boycott of changes and never amounts to anything. I am over at a couple Star Wars forums and plenty of fan boys like the "New Editions".

By the way my son has seen them (originals) countless times and so has my nephews on VHS and TV way before we moved to DVD. The reason the next generation doesn't care is because Star Wars doesn't have the same meaning to the next generation of fans. They don't get caught up in some "you can't touch a classic" because it spawned my love for the movies mentality.

None of the changes ruined the films for many die hard fans like me and it's not ruining it for the next generation. People need to get over it. They could CGI Jar Jar Binks jumping in front of Han....then Han shooting Greedo and I would still buy the next version. OK, maybe not Jar Jar.....I can't stand that character. :)

Last edited:

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I think you have it the opposite. Look at the sales figures of the special editions. Look at the tons of people who went to see the special editions. You only hear from the people that bitch about it because most people could care less. All these die hard "you can't touch a classic" people are the loudest in the forums. The people that like the changes or don't mind, don't go around posting that kind of stuff in forums. I have read message board after message board of this supposed boycott of changes and never amounts to anything. I am over at a couple Star Wars forums and plenty of fan boys like the "New Editions".

By the way my son has seen them (originals) countless times and so has my nephews on VHS and TV way before we moved to DVD. The reason the next generation doesn't care is because Star Wars doesn't have the same meaning to the next generation of fans. They don't get caught up in some "you can't touch a classic" because it spawned my love for the movies mentality.

None of the changes ruined the films for many die hard fans like me and it's not ruining it for the next generation. People need to get over it. They could CGI Jar Jar Binks jumping in front of Han....then Han shooting Greedo and I would still buy the next version. OK, maybe not Jar Jar.....I can't stand that character. :)

Cool then. Let's change the ending to Casablanca, CGI all the backgrounds in Braveheart, and re-film all of Hitchcock's movies in shaky cam. After all, who cares what the originals were--they can be improved, right? :rolleyes:

It's just a pointless argument. The beauty of many movies, especially Star Wars, is that the effects didn't drive the story--the story actually drove the story. Lucas is a schmuck that just wants to tinker and play with classics, and it's really stupid, much like tinkering with the above movies in such ways would be massively stupid. Is he allowed? Of course--well, not any more, I would suspect. Will sales go down? Of course not, but not because of the quality of the films--or lack thereof, as the fall off from Eps 4-6 to the extremely low quality of Eps 1-3 (3 was all right, but still doesn't touch the original trilogy). It's because this was established as a cash cow franchise with staying potential long before he started tampering with the films. Lucas was focused on promotion and marketing from day one, and it has served him brilliantly. It certainly does not make changing classic movies a good idea.

I have it in mind that you would support a remake of any movie in the world, and you will probably watch a Hangover 50. You strike me that way.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Cool then. Let's change the ending to Casablanca, CGI all the backgrounds in Braveheart, and re-film all of Hitchcock's movies in shaky cam. After all, who cares what the originals were--they can be improved, right? :rolleyes:

While I agree with you on the point, you are WAY, WAY, WAY off base with this comment. Michael Curtiz and Alfred Hitchcock aren't here to make changes to their films, and you or me or some studio changing Braveheart is A LOT different than Mel Gibson changing it.

It's just a pointless argument. The beauty of many movies, especially Star Wars, is that the effects didn't drive the story--the story actually drove the story. Lucas is a schmuck that just wants to tinker and play with classics, and it's really stupid, much like tinkering with the above movies in such ways would be massively stupid. Is he allowed? Of course--well, not any more, I would suspect. Will sales go down? Of course not, but not because of the quality of the films--or lack thereof, as the fall off from Eps 4-6 to the extremely low quality of Eps 1-3 (3 was all right, but still doesn't touch the original trilogy). It's because this was established as a cash cow franchise with staying potential long before he started tampering with the films. Lucas was focused on promotion and marketing from day one, and it has served him brilliantly. It certainly does not make changing classic movies a good idea.

Except they are his to change, not yours. I agree that he shouldn't change the movies just on principal, but the fact remains that he can and does--he doesn't need to pander to self-entitled jerk fans like you and me. Sucks, but that's the reality of it. I would love to go back and change my first feature, there's a lot I'd do differently. Fortunately for me, mine isn't a classic space opera.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alaskabustergreen