Gentry: "Tell Mike D'Antoni he's vindicated!'

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
https://twitter.com/SherwoodStrauss/status/611033884537552896

https://twitter.com/HowardBeck/status/611055006469484544

Asked postgame about Stephen Curry breaking the mold for a transformative player, Golden State head coach Steve Kerr referenced D'Antoni and Steve Nash's Suns, too. "Steve was kind of the original Steph Curry," he said, adding that he thought Phoenix was going to win a title that way.

"I think Steve kind of laid out a vision for a whole generation of young point guards," Kerr said. "And with the game changing, Mike D'Antoni kind of initiating that style in Phoenix, the floor starting to spread, the whole league kind of playing shooting 4s and 5s and playing a little faster, I think Mike and Steve in many ways set the table for Steph Curry. And I think Steph would tell you that, too."

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on...rriors-title-tell-mike-dantoni-hes-vindicated
The topic of MDA always hijacks other threads so I think this should have one of its own.

I know Mainstreet is grinning right now :)

Last edited:

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Total BS.

The Warriors played deep into their bench and they played defense.

Nothing like the old "Seven Seconds or Less" scheme that D'Antoni ran.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Total BS.

The Warriors played deep into their bench and they played defense.

Nothing like the old "Seven Seconds or Less" scheme that D'Antoni ran.

The Suns were the best/2nd best defensive team under Mike D'Antoni when Kurt Thomas was healthy.

just fyi since you obviously ignore that

I am confused though, didnt sunsfan88 continually cry that Mike D'Antoni style and run and gun does not work?

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
MDA coached some of the most exciting teams that the Suns ever had.
Until he burned them out.

Just outscore your opponent is not a blueprint for ongoing success.

And now that Golden State has had its day in the sun, the league will adjust.

Didn't Kerr start a Center in the Finals for the first time all season? When did D'Antoni ever step from small to big as the season progressed?

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Didn't Kerr start a Center in the Finals for the first time all season?

What? Bogut was their starting center most of the season and got gradually phased out as the playoffs progressed.

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
Suns defense was pretty good they just gave up to many second chance points. They probably should have won it all first year if Joe J doesn't break his face.

Not to mention some of the later games were proven to be fixed by a ref.

3rdside

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Does this mean that mcd is lining up to be even more ******** than i suspected by drafting a big man in Len who'll be redundant in 3 years? On the basis of things so far; I hope not but probably.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

3rdside

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Statement of the obvious but If it's not bad enough that small ball won this thing and it wasn't the Suns..it's that we had Kerr and gentry but tossed them. I argued about bad ball clubs - and the Suns being one - throughout the dragic fiasco (admittedly on another board) but this is the perfect example. Bad clubs mismanaging talent and they take off somewhere else.

I can't recall why those two left but I do remember having a bad instinct about Kerr going; it felt like we let go of talent and clearly we did.

Last edited:

3rdside

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Babby's gone so that's a good start - mcd you have 18 months.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Until he burned them out.

Just outscore your opponent is not a blueprint for ongoing success.

And now that Golden State has had its day in the sun, the league will adjust.

Didn't Kerr start a Center in the Finals for the first time all season? When did D'Antoni ever step from small to big as the season progressed?

No. Kerr started a Center all season THEN BENCHED HIS ASS IN THE FINALS which completely won the series as they ripped off 3 straight relatively easy victories with the tallest player on the court being 6'7.

My god... There's beating a dead horse and then there's making up an imaginary dead horse to beat when you've been proven COMPLETELY WRONG.

I mean seriously... The above is beyond out of touch.

Sunshooter

Registered
Reaction score
Kerr WELL use his bench and have different strategy but D'Antoni...

Gentry, I don't agree with you.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sunsfan88, I've only wanted to give DA credit for the style of basketball he created in Phoenix and the four great winning seasons when he coached the Suns. I do think he helped lay the foundation for Kerr and Gentry to win it all with the Warriors. Of course DA's downfall was a lack of focus on defense and a short rotation. I still don't understand why so many fans do not want to give him any credit. If not for a Horry hip check on Nash into the scorer's table, the Suns may have won it all.

Darkside

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
It's a bogus argument. One you can make when you win.

I'm someone who used to watch a lot of basketball back in the day with Magic Johnson, Bird, even Kevin McHale and Parish and Dennis Johnson, all the way through Jordan getting drafted and being awesome. Even Jordan had some good-great players around him in Pippen (HOF), Kerr, and many other clutch performers.

But nobody was ever at Lebron James' level. He's the best player I've ever seen play the game. Bar none.

If Lebron had even one of their injured players healthy, just one, and I don't even care which one you pick, they win that series. GS small-ball rotation was necessary to beat a one-man wrecking crew. With their injuries, James couldn't guard everyone, so it was only a matter of time before the most talented team won with a lot of passing and long-range jumpers. James could rotate on the pick and rolls, but it's impossible for him to guard everyone on penetrate and kickouts. Impossible.

The rest of Cleveland's starting squad, after injuries, wouldn't even see the floor in most finals. That's a fact. You take the other 4 starters after injuries and they aren't even starting in the regular season, let alone the playoffs or finals.

JR Smith was the antithesis of good basketball. When he was on the floor the Cavs had a negative grade in productivity because of turnovers, bad defense, lack of assists, and missed shots. He's awful.

Coach Blatt had an inescapable problem, given that half his starting lineup was injured. He couldn't go small against GS, that's insane, obviously. But when he went big or even semi-big, it clogged up the middle for James, who couldn't create the space he needed on drives. Smith was the primary culprit obviously, given that he sucks and everything, because when James would drive he never once, not once, rotated to the top of the key or to the 3/4 key area, to create space when James was driving to his corner of the 3 point line (where Smith usually just stood like a statue). He never slid over at all when he saw James drive.

Nobody rotated, due to a lack of talent and experience. And frankly, James made some phenomenal passes Tuesday, right down into the paint or into the key where it should have resulted either in points or an assist on points, but too often it was blocked, stolen, or missed. That's a lack of talent, not design.

It's the small things that add up. No rotation, no sliding into other spots when you see a huge beast like James' drive (I mean, really JR, get the F out of there and slide over to another 3 point spot), and overall just a lack of talent to make very easy 5 or 10 foot shots, which James provided them all night.

It's nice and all to give D'antoni credit. That's cool. Very classy. But it's not indicative of the truth. It's laughable frankly. D'antoni was going up against a full San Antonio Spurs roster every year. One stacked to the gills with talent. I like D'antoni, but let's not pretend like GS played any kind of premier team. They had a soft playoff schedule in the playoffs and in the finals played one of the most depleted rosters in the history of the NBA.

Lebron James by himself almost ruined them. With one other player he would have.

Last edited:

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Come on darkside you could also argue the Warriors had to beat the crazy west while the cavs had a pretty easy trip through the laughable east! GS was the best all season and won it all playing run and gun it's not really debatable! Lebron is amazing but I would argue that their defense with Irving and love out became much much better, so if one of them played or both that's two poor defenders on the floor which could have led to many easy buckets from the Warriors. I guess the good thing is we may get to see it for years because these look like teams that are gonna be in the finals mix for a few more years to come. If Irving had played I feel curry would have had better games. Deledova really seemed to take curry out of his game and was a really aggressive defender, Irving does not put that kind of effort in on D. Just saying people act like Lebrun was doing it all himself, they were playing physical defense which kept GS from running them right out of the gym. Sure they could have used some offensive help but they wouldn't have been near the same defensively and rebounding with Irving playing and love camped out on the three point line IMO .

Darkside

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Come on darkside you could also argue the Warriors had to beat the crazy west while the cavs had a pretty easy trip through the laughable east! GS was the best all season and won it all playing run and gun it's not really debatable! Lebron is amazing but I would argue that their defense with Irving and love out became much much better, so if one of them played or both that's two poor defenders on the floor which could have led to many easy buckets from the Warriors. I guess the good thing is we may get to see it for years because these look like teams that are gonna be in the finals mix for a few more years to come. If Irving had played I feel curry would have had better games. Deledova really seemed to take curry out of his game and was a really aggressive defender, Irving does not put that kind of effort in on D. Just saying people act like Lebrun was doing it all himself, they were playing physical defense which kept GS from running them right out of the gym. Sure they could have used some offensive help but they wouldn't have been near the same defensively and rebounding with Irving playing and love camped out on the three point line IMO .

Actually agree with this to some extent.

I do think the Cavs defense was better with bench players. But I also believe it doesn't matter who guards Curry. He's badass and will score against anyone, just like he did. Deledova had 2 good games, that's it. It's not like he was lights out. Curry outplayed him easily and in my opinion played like the MVP--it's easy to be an MVP when everything is perfect, quite another to bounce back and dominate the way Curry did. Curry dominated these last few games. Dominated.

I disagree though that Cleveland had an easier path. I think they were tested way more than GS. It doesn't matter, to me anyway, the talent level of the teams, but whether or not you were tested mentally and physically to get there, and I think Cleveland, with all of their injuries, was much more tested in those ways. I watched every game, GS only had one difficult series when they played Memphis and even then I never doubted they'd win.

You do make an excellent and valid point however. Because even if Irving and Love played, you're right, their defense would suffer, but I think more importantly the tempo of the game would have changed in GS favor. It's an interesting point, one I can't find fault with.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Draymond Green is also better than Shawn Marion was, so that clearly helps.

Green is a much smoother player, shooter and playmaker, things Marion never was. He probably has a bigger reach than Marion too and obviously stronger.

He is more like Boris Diaw without the laziness.

AfroSuns

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sunsfan88, I've only wanted to give DA credit for the style of basketball he created in Phoenix and the four great winning seasons when he coached the Suns. I do think he helped lay the foundation for Kerr and Gentry to win it all with the Warriors. Of course DA's downfall was a lack of focus on defense and a short rotation. I still don't understand why so many fans do not want to give him any credit. If not for a Horry hip check on Nash into the scorer's table, the Suns may have won it all.

THIS...the general statement by Kerr said Steve and Mike D set the table and it is true.