Gammons on Henson

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Peter Gammons was on ESPN News talking about, among other things, Drew Henson. I am mad because I didn't hear every word but I think his feeling was that Henson would give it this season and if things don't turn around baseball-wise, he would play football. Gammons also said he thought Henson would sign with HOU.

Finally Gammons said that he thought Henson may opt to sign with HOU and actually attend camp and get tutoring as a QB and walk away from baseball. He suggests HOU would then trade Henson for a pick next year.

I didn't hear every word on this but I tried to get what I could...2 kids climbing the walls here. Interesting stuff.

Also, towards the end, I swear Gammons said Josh Booty was going to give up football and try to come back to baseball as a pitcher.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by AZCB34
Peter Gammons was on ESPN News talking about, among other things, Drew Henson. I am mad because I didn't hear every word but I think his feeling was that Henson would give it this season and if things don't turn around baseball-wise, he would play football. Gammons also said he thought Henson would sign with HOU.

Finally Gammons said that he thought Henson may opt to sign with HOU and actually attend camp and get tutoring as a QB and walk away from baseball. He suggests HOU would then trade Henson for a pick next year.

I didn't hear every word on this but I tried to get what I could...2 kids climbing the walls here. Interesting stuff.

Also, towards the end, I swear Gammons said Josh Booty was going to give up football and try to come back to baseball as a pitcher.

That Booty family is an interesting one. Josh skips out on football to play baseball, comes back to LSU, then bolts to the NFL.

His younger brother John David Booty just announced he's skipping his senior year of HS he did a whole bunch of extra courses, graduates early and will enroll at USC this year.

Gammons has said that before about Henson the difference now is that Henson has been drafted. My take all along has been Henson will ultimately come to football, he just wanted some control over where. The Houston situation MAY be perfect because with Carr around they almost certainly intend to trade him so he can in essence say "I will sign but you have to trade me and here is my list of teams."

OP
OP
AZCB34

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Re: Re: Gammons on Henson

Originally posted by Russ Smith
That Booty family is an interesting one. Josh skips out on football to play baseball, comes back to LSU, then bolts to the NFL.

His younger brother John David Booty just announced he's skipping his senior year of HS he did a whole bunch of extra courses, graduates early and will enroll at USC this year.

Gammons has said that before about Henson the difference now is that Henson has been drafted. My take all along has been Henson will ultimately come to football, he just wanted some control over where. The Houston situation MAY be perfect because with Carr around they almost certainly intend to trade him so he can in essence say "I will sign but you have to trade me and here is my list of teams."

If it pans out, the Texans will have made a fantastic move. They will have a short list of teams they can deal with (only because I don't believe they would keep Henson) and I would think a couple teams would get into a bidding contest for him. He is that talented at football.

DieHardFromMO

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Why would Henson sign with Houston just to be traded to another team. What favor does he owe Houston?

All Henson has to do is ignore Houston and he is a Free Agent at the start of next years draft correct?

OP
OP
AZCB34

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Possibly he had a deal with HOU to take him and he would play ball (pun intended). He doesn't owe them anything but they can get him to one of the teams he really wants to play for and that cannot be said, with any certainty, in next years draft. He could end up with a team he hates.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by DieHardFromMO
Why would Henson sign with Houston just to be traded to another team. What favor does he owe Houston?

All Henson has to do is ignore Houston and he is a Free Agent at the start of next years draft correct?

I've read both ways. Saturday ESPN said if he never signs this year after being drafted he goes BACK into the draft pool for next year. They implied his draft rights would then belong to whoever picked him the 2nd time around.

If he's a FA he still counts against a rookie cap ala Hutchinson so I'm not sure he cares one way or the other.

As for why he'd want to sign with someone first, I can't remember where I read it but the buyout clause in his baseball contract(if he walks away) is such that it's in his best interests to sign with Houston. I forget the wording but basically the Yankees structured his deal with "insurance" so that if he simply decided to quit baseball as a FA it'd be an expensive buyout. Basically they wanted to put him in a situation where he couldn't just use his baseball signing bonus to buy out his contract and then sign a big NFL deal as a FA. I'll try to find the article I read it several months ago, but the implication was Henson's buyout changes if he's drafted and chooses to sign an NFL contract, basically the Yankees wanted to make it harder so it'd be less attractive for him to quit baseball.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn