Game of Thrones (HBO)

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is. I don't buy it, personally, but that's just my opinion. It very well could be true. It's certainly not anywhere near as far-fetched as some of my own book theories :)

So do you not think there needs to be three, or do you have other candidates?

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Isn't Bran going to ride the Dragons? I thought this was implied when the three-eyed raven told him that he was never going to walk again but that he would fly.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Isn't Bran going to ride the Dragons? I thought this was implied when the three-eyed raven told him that he was never going to walk again but that he would fly.
He's not a Targaryen and since he's the raven, he'll be able to fly. I don't think it refers to dragons.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score

Here is my question. Dany seemed to control all 3 just fine in Slavers Bay. Why does she need 2 other riders? They basically destroyed one attacking ship and left the rest for her to appropriate for her own purposes. If a dragon needed a rider to be effective, then why didn't the other two run amok during the battle in Mereen? They seemed coordinated enough.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is my question. Dany seemed to control all 3 just fine in Slavers Bay. Why does she need 2 other riders? They basically destroyed one attacking ship and left the rest for her to appropriate for her own purposes. If a dragon needed a rider to be effective, then why didn't the other two run amok during the battle in Mereen? They seemed coordinated enough.

Yes but earlier they showed the dragons could be strong willed and not listen to Dany. Maybe she can only assert so much control and the Dragon Riders help her with that?

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

I think there will be three, and that Tyrion will still be one. There are theories that you don't have to be a Targ to be a dragon rider. In the past (novellas and stories) there were a call for Targ bastards to try to ride dragons, and a number turned up, though there was no proof they all actually had Targ blood.

Yeah, this created a bit of a problem. They either broke with the mythos they already created (you can only control one dragon), which is historical in Westeros, or they made it variable so there don't need to be more dragon riders. Either way, it doesn't seem to jive, but whatever.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I think there will be three, and that Tyrion will still be one. There are theories that you don't have to be a Targ to be a dragon rider. In the past (novellas and stories) there were a call for Targ bastards to try to ride dragons, and a number turned up, though there was no proof they all actually had Targ blood.

Yeah, this created a bit of a problem. They either broke with the mythos they already created (you can only control one dragon), which is historical in Westeros, or they made it variable so there don't need to be more dragon riders. Either way, it doesn't seem to jive, but whatever.

didn't they mention specifically that the targs were not the only dragon riders....just the last?

Stout

Reaction score
didn't they mention specifically that the targs were not the only dragon riders....just the last?

I'm going off book material, and even pre-book novellas and short story material. Some people say that only those with Targ blood could possibly ride a dragon. I'm not in that camp.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I'm going off book material, and even pre-book novellas and short story material. Some people say that only those with Targ blood could possibly ride a dragon. I'm not in that camp.

I found some things regarding old valyria which states they were not the only ones...just the only ones to survive the apocalyptic events which destroyed old valyria....this due to a vision one had,....so the father at the time took his family to dragonstone and built the keep there

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unless the tv show is really screwing with us. They haven't explicitly stated who the true father is, but this is the most famous theory fans have had for the better part of 2 decades.

I hope Martin messes with everyone and ends up making Jon actually Neds son. Incest is the best in Westeros. Ned getting freaky with his sister.

Stout

Reaction score
I've read them already and I'm currently reading them again. Still there is a hole in my heart on Sundays now.
If you want more material, you can read the Dunk and Egg novellas, which take place before GoT. There's also a novella/story in another anthology--warrior women, I think--that covers the Blackfyre rebellion. That one wasn't very good at all, but the Dunk and Egg novellas are solid gold, IMO.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Yes but earlier they showed the dragons could be strong willed and not listen to Dany. Maybe she can only assert so much control and the Dragon Riders help her with that?

She is still "human" and only has the perception of a single being so 1 person controlling 3 dragons is not going to be as effective as 3.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
She is still "human" and only has the perception of a single being so 1 person controlling 3 dragons is not going to be as effective as 3.

There was a scene where all the Dragons were defiant and on another episode where they wouldn't listens to her. I am thinking the more handlers the better.

So I think we are saying the same thing.

Last edited:

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score

or...
Drogon is obviously the alpha.... Dany controls Drogon,...Drogon then controls the other two dragons.... leader of the pack and all that...

chickenhead

Reaction score
Dorne being mostly MIA didn't really bother me this year, maybe just because in the books one gets used to long absences.

Also, I think the arguments about predictability often bark up the wrong tree. Since when is surprise the only important narrative device? Archetypal storytelling like this is largely about satisfying audience expectations that the audience is allowed to suspend. The show sets up a lot of things far in advance -- sometimes it's subtle, other times overt -- and when they come to pass there's often both shock and recognition (an "oh yeah, remember when he said this back in season 2" moment). You're allowed to both know the ending and pretend you don't. See your Joseph Campbell and Roland Barthes for more: I'm just passing it on.

People try to figure things out in advance to varying degrees. I don't look too hard: I like to let it unfold (I cover parts of the page I don't want to accidentally see before I get there.) Some people really like to figure it out in advance and enjoy it when it comes true. Some like to figure it out in advance and then dislike it when it comes true but enjoy complaining about it...?

Side note, I'm surprised no one here has commented on how awesome Little Bear Mormont is. I know she's not a main character but a nice addition up north.

You must be registered for see images attach

I love Little Bear. She reminds me of Alia Atreides in David Lynch's Dune.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Really good point about Varys, and how he got on the ship with Dany

http://www.thegrumpyfish.com/varys-not-teleport-daenerys-picked-shes-close-kings-landing/

To get from Mereen to King's Landing via ship, you have to sail right by Sunspear.

Screen shots show Dany's fleet includes ships from Highgarden (Tyrell) and Dorne (Martell).

So the fleet is in Westeros waters already.

I highly doubt it. IMO they just wanted a cool closing shot. They're building for some massive naval battle with the fleet from the Iron Islands, that can't happen if she is already nearing the capital.

AZeBrA

Reaction score
Arguably the best tv show of all time and i am looking right at i am looking right at you seinfeld! Granted the two shows are completely different, i will give Seinfeld its props. Season 6 just wrapped up and it looks like we have some armies moving acrossed the sea to kings landing.
SO much going on and so many charachters. The character development in this series is unbelievable. You will hate characters at one point and then finding yourself loving them later. Unless its Cersei, her hotness cant be denied but she is as cold as the night before dawn.
Favorite character, favorite episode?
Your thoughts people!

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member