Game of Thrones (HBO)

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
I was away last week and just now watched the episode -- and I was ecstatic!! THRILLED! Jumping up and down clapping and yelling "DIE you twisted SOB! DIE!! DIE!!!" I can't recall ever in my life wanting as much to see a character die as I did Joffrey.

That's because we had to suffer his villainy for over 40 hours. Geez, Darth Vader only lasted about 7 hrs. on screen.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah...I don't get the huge outcry over the rape scene. messed up stuff happened on Game Of Thrones?! El shocko dismayo!

AZZenny

Reaction score
Ummm... I for one was totally behind Jaime on that one. It was bitter, vengeful, and final.

redheat

A real American hero
Reaction score
Damn was I the only one who screamed Noooooooo when The Great King Joffrey died? I'm really hoping for a new wizard type character comes along and resurrects him. He was the show for me and will be missed.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Damn was I the only one who screamed Noooooooo when The Great King Joffrey died? I'm really hoping for a new wizard type character comes along and resurrects him. He was the show for me and will be missed.

i'm definitely interested to see what evil rises in his place. this show has consistently killed great characters, especially in season 1 that I didn't know how it would recover from, but it's yet to disappoint me.

that said, it's gonna be hard to come up with someone to hate as much as Joffrey. He was one of the most loathsome villains of all time. I'm just happy it wasn't one of the Starks who got to kill him. Ain't no fairytale endings in this show for sure.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
i'm definitely interested to see what evil rises in his place. this show has consistently killed great characters, especially in season 1 that I didn't know how it would recover from, but it's yet to disappoint me.

that said, it's gonna be hard to come up with someone to hate as much as Joffrey. He was one of the most loathsome villains of all time. I'm just happy it wasn't one of the Starks who got to kill him. Ain't no fairytale endings in this show for sure.

Cersei is pretty awful, so is Bolton's bastard and Walder Frey, so there is no shortage of horrible people still around.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
i'm definitely interested to see what evil rises in his place.

Ramsay seems like a pretty twisted character if he gets any power.

I too was disappointed that Joffrey was killed off. I was really hoping he was going to start killing off his family(mostly his mother) before he got his.

AZZenny

Reaction score
I can, in retrospect, appreciate the death of Joffrey as a plot loss. But in terms of breathtaking emotional highs and lows? the Red Wedding and Joffrey's murder in the same series is unmatched.

Now for future villains it's hard to picture anyone as disgusting, cruel, and capriciously dangerous (due to power/position) as Joffrey. Randall with power for sure has the potential, and he's positioning, but he's a long ways off from Joffrey's kind of power to harm almost anyone. Cersei's not done, but hard to see her at the top of the games anytime soon; her father and Jaime and the new queen will all be fencing her in for awhile.

Little Finger has the total amorality, depravity, ruthlessness and cruelty, and where he lacks position he has money, brains and motivation - and he's in action. I'm not sure the actor can pull that off as effectively, however -- Joffrey was played superbly.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can, in retrospect, appreciate the death of Joffrey as a plot loss. But in terms of breathtaking emotional highs and lows? the Red Wedding and Joffrey's murder in the same series is unmatched.

Now for future villains it's hard to picture anyone as disgusting, cruel, and capriciously dangerous (due to power/position) as Joffrey. Randall with power for sure has the potential, and he's positioning, but he's a long ways off from Joffrey's kind of power to harm almost anyone. Cersei's not done, but hard to see her at the top of the games anytime soon; her father and Jaime and the new queen will all be fencing her in for awhile.

Little Finger has the total amorality, depravity, ruthlessness and cruelty, and where he lacks position he has money, brains and motivation - and he's in action. I'm not sure the actor can pull that off as effectively, however -- Joffrey was played superbly.

I am still not over the Red Wedding if that is any indication. For me, one of the the biggest holy f$@* moments in my television viewing history.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'm still SUPER pissed that Deadline spoiled Joffrey's death. Just beyond cheesed off about that one.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Red Wedding, this Joffery thing and MORE all happened in the same book. Hands down, the best book in the series, book 3. There is more fun coming! I don't know how much they'll be able to drop in the remainder of this season for you viewers, but I can think of at least 4 twists that haven't hit yet.

I remember reading that book and putting it down with WTF face several times. Nice to see that's translating well to the screen. The pacing of that 1,000 page book was incredible.

Last edited:

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now that both scenes have been shown this quote is good to put out there:

Martin did not write the Red Wedding chapters until he had completed every other chapter of the book, as he felt it was "the hardest thing I ever wrote" and that he would rather delay writing until absolutely necessary. In contrast, he referred to the chapter of Joffrey's fatal wedding as "easy and fun to write" but that he nevertheless tried to instill empathy for the painful demise of this very unpopular character and "bring home the point that this, too, was a human being who was scared and terrified and then dead

Joffrey was a douche canoe.

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score

I'm convinced that new odd characters will enter to fill in the void.

I'm personally looking forward to The Prophet

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The White Walker teases better pay off to be something AMAZING after this many years of teasing them every six episodes or so.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I'm really hating the stupid writing and the godawful differences in the wall and beyond the wall scenes and story lines. I finally found an episode I had major issues with. Disappointing, to say the least. Except for the last scene--very cool last scene.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
This is probably the first episode where book readers and non-book readers could watch together and be equally surprised throughout. It is such a wild deviation, in so many different scenes, that it kept me engaged throughout.

I am of a mixed-mind on the changes. The second half of Book 3 is so fertile, and soooooooo good, that they really don't need to invent new content to make the adaptation better. And I worry that something really good will have to be left out to squeeze in these new scenes. Save that for the Book 4 and Book 5 (first half) story lines that need saving.

That being said, I understand why some changes are necessary. The books expand. Characters go off on their adventures and don't really cross paths again. That wouldn't work for TV, where more and more are being introduced.

So the writers kill truncate/combine story lines in order to keep characters relevant while they cool their heels/march, march, march/etc. I like that. The alternative is that almost every character would get the "Jamie Lannister Season 2 treatment" at some point. And if they are going to invent scenes like that last one, more power to them.

That being said, the Bran development is not my favorite. How will he get out of his predicament before Jon Snow arrives? And if he is rescued by his brother, how will anyone believe that his book story-arc could continue to play out? There is no way Jon would let him keep going on his merry way.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
There has been a lot of deviation from the books so far, no? Maybe I need to re-read the book but I surely can't remember Prince Oberyn of Dorne described as excessively bi-sexual...

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
There has been a lot of deviation from the books so far, no? Maybe I need to re-read the book but I surely can't remember Prince Oberyn of Dorne described as excessively bi-sexual...

You're incorrect in your recollections. Oberyn's famous for being omnisexual.

It isn't that they're changing things from the books. That's happened plenty, and will keep happening, because it's a TV show and not a book. It's the sudden, recent Peter Jackson-like changes to the content that I hate. You have the best book of the series to mine, and not nearly enough time to cover all the coolness. Why in the HELL would you make content up just to seemingly pass the time? Dumb idea, IMO.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
They really needed to recast Bran. He looks a year older every episode. His story works as the story of a kid who would rather live life through his wolf rather than in his sad paralyzed body, its not quite as effective when they probably need to shave him between takes and his legs are dangling out the back of his stretcher.

To emphasize how screwed up his appearance is... Arya is supposed to be two years older than him.

Matt L

formerly known as mattyboy
Reaction score
This is probably the first episode where book readers and non-book readers could watch together and be equally surprised throughout. It is such a wild deviation, in so many different scenes, that it kept me engaged throughout.

I am of a mixed-mind on the changes. The second half of Book 3 is so fertile, and soooooooo good, that they really don't need to invent new content to make the adaptation better. And I worry that something really good will have to be left out to squeeze in these new scenes. Save that for the Book 4 and Book 5 (first half) story lines that need saving.

That being said, I understand why some changes are necessary. The books expand. Characters go off on their adventures and don't really cross paths again. That wouldn't work for TV, where more and more are being introduced.

So the writers kill truncate/combine story lines in order to keep characters relevant while they cool their heels/march, march, march/etc. I like that. The alternative is that almost every character would get the "Jamie Lannister Season 2 treatment" at some point. And if they are going to invent scenes like that last one, more power to them.

That being said, the Bran development is not my favorite. How will he get out of his predicament before Jon Snow arrives? And if he is rescued by his brother, how will anyone believe that his book story-arc could continue to play out? There is no way Jon would let him keep going on his merry way.

My guess is Jon saves Bran and the other two kids while killing the mutineers and then the guy who rides the elk meets up with them at Craster's and convinces Jon to allow Bran and his wolf to continue to their destination. Its been a while since I read the book so I am a little hazy on when the guy on the elk shows up but that seems to be my best bet on how Bran's story can continue

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
My guess is Jon saves Bran and the other two kids while killing the mutineers and then the guy who rides the elk meets up with them at Craster's and convinces Jon to allow Bran and his wolf to continue to their destination. Its been a while since I read the book so I am a little hazy on when the guy on the elk shows up but that seems to be my best bet on how Bran's story can continue

Bran and Meeds meet Coldhands under the wall. He's the one that guides them below the wall to the north.

I'm not if the Ravens following Sam when he killed the White Walker at in the end of last season was a symbol of coldhand or the Ravens were following the white walker. I believe the first encounter with Cold Hands in the books is that exact scene.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph Garrison