Game of Thrones (HBO)

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't feel like looking it up, but who is Longclaw?

Darkness lay over the world and a hero, Azor Ahai, was chosen to fight against it. To fight the darkness, Azor Ahai needed to forge a hero's sword. He labored for thirty days and thirty nights until it was done. However, when he went to temper it in water, the sword broke. He was not one to give up easily, so he started over. The second time he took fifty days and fifty nights to make the sword, even better than the first. To temper it this time, he captured a lion and drove the sword into its heart, but once more the steel shattered. The third time, with a heavy heart, for he knew before hand what he must do to finish the blade, he worked for a hundred days and nights until it was finished. This time, he called for his wife, Nissa Nissa, and asked her to bare her breast. He drove his sword into her breast, her soul combining with the steel of the sword, creating Lightbringer, while her cry of anguish and ecstasy left a crack across the face of the moon

If Jon's sword is already Lightbringer it doesn't make much sense to have to kill Dany to make it what it already is. However, maybe Jon has to create a new one. Following what happened before, maybe killing Dany with it will make it the "new" Lightbringer.

Just seems convoluted if Lightbringer already exists. It's either Jon's Sword and he needs to learn to use it or it's out there somewhere waiting to be found

The Prophecy says he will pull it from fire and it will help defeat the Knight King. The sword was said to glow and radiate heat, burning whoever touches it.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Darkness lay over the world and a hero, Azor Ahai, was chosen to fight against it. To fight the darkness, Azor Ahai needed to forge a hero's sword. He labored for thirty days and thirty nights until it was done. However, when he went to temper it in water, the sword broke. He was not one to give up easily, so he started over. The second time he took fifty days and fifty nights to make the sword, even better than the first. To temper it this time, he captured a lion and drove the sword into its heart, but once more the steel shattered. The third time, with a heavy heart, for he knew before hand what he must do to finish the blade, he worked for a hundred days and nights until it was finished. This time, he called for his wife, Nissa Nissa, and asked her to bare her breast. He drove his sword into her breast, her soul combining with the steel of the sword, creating Lightbringer, while her cry of anguish and ecstasy left a crack across the face of the moon

If Jon's sword is already Lightbringer it doesn't make much sense to have to kill Dany to make it what it already is. However, maybe Jon has to create a new one. Following what happened before, maybe killing Dany with it will make it the "new" Lightbringer.

Just seems convoluted if Lightbringer already exists. It's either Jon's Sword and he needs to learn to use it or it's out there somewhere waiting to be found

The Prophecy says he will pull it from fire and it will help defeat the Knight King. The sword was said to glow and radiate heat, burning whoever touches it.

and if she is fire..and he is Ice... then pulling it from her is what is needed??

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
and if she is fire..and he is Ice... then pulling it from her is what is needed??

That's what some people are speculating is that because she is the mother of dragons she represents fire. So to create Light Bringer you would have to do what Azor did to create it and plunge it into Dany in order to pull it from fire.

Which might make sense if you knew the original sword no longer existed. People are already speculation that Longclaw is that sword which would means it already exists. So no need to create it again.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
People might be speculating that, but there are wild theories all over the place, and I don't for a moment buy that Longclaw is already Lightbringer. That would be way too easy and then the hero wouldn't have had to pay a price--other than being loyal to his commander--to earn it. Not a good approach to a legendary magical sword in a fantasy work, to just have him have it already.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jon Snow/Aegon is ALREADY ICE and FIRE. He is a union of Stark (ICE) and Targaryan (Fire).

He is still a Stark

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
so...when Theon was getting his arse kicked...(again...)..and that iron born scum kneed him in the junk...was I the only one that laughed out loud when Theon grinned at him for it??

Theon has always been a poo and easy to hate.. But I enjoyed seeing him at least get some figurative balls back.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
People might be speculating that, but there are wild theories all over the place, and I don't for a moment buy that Longclaw is already Lightbringer. That would be way too easy and then the hero wouldn't have had to pay a price--other than being loyal to his commander--to earn it. Not a good approach to a legendary magical sword in a fantasy work, to just have him have it already.

I am not sold on them introducing a soul sucking sword either and killing Dany. At least not for this TV version.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I am not sold on them introducing a soul sucking sword either and killing Dany. At least not for this TV version.

You may be right. I may be crazy :)

Jon Snow/Aegon is ALREADY ICE and FIRE. He is a union of Stark (ICE) and Targaryan (Fire).

He is still a Stark

And that's a viable theory too. It can be literal, it can be symbolic, it can be obscure, it can be any of these, a combination, or none of them. That's the beauty of the series.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You may be right. I may be crazy :)

And that's a viable theory too. It can be literal, it can be symbolic, it can be obscure, it can be any of these, a combination, or none of them. That's the beauty of the series.

I have purposely started reading the books late (I started the TV show first). I would be massively disappointing if the TV show followed the books to a "T" if I had read the books first but that is just me.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
so...when Theon was getting his arse kicked...(again...)..and that iron born scum kneed him in the junk...was I the only one that laughed out loud when Theon grinned at him for it??

Theon has always been a **** and easy to hate.. But I enjoyed seeing him at least get some figurative balls back.

I thought that was predictable. Also I had some questions about that, he got his "favorite toy" cut off by Ramsay but he still has balls, I'd assumed. That's what hurts to get hit, so why didn't he respond? Maybe I'm thinking about it too much. Probably am now that I write that out.

I have purposely started reading the books late (I started the TV show first). I would be massively disappointing if the TV show followed the books to a "T" if I had read the books first but that is just me.

I started the books late also, after the 2nd season. The first book and first season were really close in what they covered. Things started diverting more with the 2nd book and the later half of the 2nd season. Not that I have complaints with it, I just think book readers are expecting some things they shouldn't, especially regarding the prophecies. The prophecies are a big part of the books but they're barely mentioned at all in the show. They could be skipped to give more shock value but I think they're skipped purposefully because they knew they'd finish before George RR Martin did and they wanted to make sure they were able to wrap things up in a way that doesn't confuse fans or can't be telegraphed ahead of time.

D&D even talked about a rule they had while making the first season, "No prophecies, dreams, or flashbacks.". They have broken them all by now but it does say something for how they're making the show it's own thing. I don't think "Azor Ahai" has been mentioned by name in the show, I know Melissandra was the only one who spoke of the "Prince who was promised" for a while in regards to Stannis but that wasn't something others bothered with. Like the "Dragon has 3 heads" prophecy hasn't been mentioned in the show at all, which is something I think was deliberate because there weren't any plans to get Tyrion or anyone else on a dragon, it's always been Jon and Dany. They skipped the prophecy from Maggie the Frog in regards to the "valonqer" choking the life out of her also when they did finally show the flashback of Cersei.

https://www.moviefone.com/2014/10/17/game-of-thrones-is-breaking-its-no-flashbacks-rule/

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Can someone remind me, what sword did Sam take from his father? And where does that one fit in?

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Heartsbane, right.

Does Sam wield it or does someone else take it? Brienne or Jaime, maybe?

I believe Sam still has it. I don't think we've seen him handle it yet.

Jaime gave Brienne Oathkeeper which I think was made from Ned Stark's sword.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So does that mean with all of these special weapons hanging around we are going to have a super sword orgy against the White Walkers!?!?!

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
So does that mean with all of these special weapons hanging around we are going to have a super sword orgy against the White Walkers!?!?!
Jaimie and Brienne both have valyrian steel...
perhaps the hound takes heartsbane to kill his brother with

SO91

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Agree.

My call is Dany and Jon split, Dany realizes Tyrion betrayed her, kills him.

Jaime eventually goes murder/suicide on Cersei with poisonous wine.

If the 3 betrayals/treasons prophecy hasn't been fulfilled, then it makes sense for Tyrion to betray her for blood. Once for gold, once for love, and once for blood.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow. Only a couple days into the off season and the thread has gone down hill. May the Lord of Light help us during the wait for the next season. :D

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Want to quickly go back to the penultimate episode of the season.

Moving beyond the question of where the hell did those huge chains come from with the dragon... how the hell did the white walker wrap the chains around the dragon who was sunk in the water if they can't go in the water?!

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Moving beyond the question of where the hell did those huge chains come from with the dragon... how the hell did the white walker wrap the chains around the dragon who was sunk in the water if they can't go in the water?!

That has been bothering me as well.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Not sure why your confused. Surely a guy that can throw an ice javelin hurling through the air while anticipating the wind, velocity of movement from the dragon wings and relative speed of said dragon....hit it....can figure out how to drop some chains in the murky water, hook it and pull it up.

Come on cheesebeef.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard