Game of Thrones (HBO)

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Bo-ring and uber predictable, except for the Khaleesi bit--and ONLY her bit, not the associated bits. I did NOT see that coming.

See, the problem is, this kind of episode would make for a decent 1st or 2nd episode of the season, but when next to NOTHING has happened, really, and you're heading into the middle of the season...yeah, it's a bit of a problem. Just plodding along at this point.

Geez, do you have a keyboard shortcut to create posts? Seems like you regurgitate the same stuff every. single. episode.

Such a glutton for punishment, since you continually watch 80% of stuff that you intensely dislike. And then actually stopping watching something you don't like doesn't even stop you from STILL posting the same thing every week.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great Episode! Finally the Mother of Dragons seems to be moving back into an interesting storyline! And of course finally some decent nudity that didn't scar me for life!

:D

Totally forgot about the whole Brienne of Tarth vs the Red Witch thing. Should be interesting to see how that dynamic plays out.

Thought for sure that Ramsey Bolton was going to get it from the Wildling chick. But you could see it coming that he was baiting her.

If there is a battle for Winterfell I'm dying to see it. Should be awesome!

Wasn't expecting Dani to go all Dragon crazy on the Khal and his crew. Pretty awesome and now she has her Army!

Last edited:

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
wow, I really liked
.. and the scene where Brienne was
Does anyone else think that if
then maybe
?

All I know is, Jon Snow sure as hell better
or I aint watching anymore!

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Geez, do you have a keyboard shortcut to create posts? Seems like you regurgitate the same stuff every. single. episode.

Such a glutton for punishment, since you continually watch 80% of stuff that you intensely dislike. And then actually stopping watching something you don't like doesn't even stop you from STILL posting the same thing every week.

LOL - I was wondering the same thing - what is your level of action required, Stout?

I thought it was a good episode - and really moved the story along. Loved the end scene!

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good episode. I agree with the above that the show is picking up steam. Although, I read that fans are uber PO about the final scene in the episode. I didn't have a problem with it. I guess because it goes against something mentioned in the book. Honestly, I don't get why people are having a cow since the show has already diverged from the book in several places already. I loved that scene. OK, I might be biased for primal reasons. :D

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Good episode. I agree with the above that the show is picking up steam. Although, I read that fans are uber PO about the final scene in the episode. I didn't have a problem with it. I guess because it goes against something mentioned in the book. Honestly, I don't get why people are having a cow since the show has already diverged from the book in several places already. I loved that scene. OK, I might be biased for primal reasons. :D

People are having a cow because Martin himself has stressed that Dany is NOT immune to fire in the books. This is a pretty major change from the books, giving her a "superpower".

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
People are having a cow because Martin himself has stressed that Dany is NOT immune to fire in the books. This is a pretty major change from the books, giving her a "superpower".

Yep, I knew the reason I just don't see it as a big deal. The show has already set the precedent that it's going to take it's own path in regards to characters. For example, the new chapter of the book just released focuses on multiple characters already killed off on the show. I just don't understand why people are having a cow about it. Personally I loved that scene and how that played out with her taking her own power back despite the circumstances.

Last edited:

SO91

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Bo-ring and uber predictable, except for the Khaleesi bit--and ONLY her bit, not the associated bits. I did NOT see that coming.

See, the problem is, this kind of episode would make for a decent 1st or 2nd episode of the season, but when next to NOTHING has happened, really, and you're heading into the middle of the season...yeah, it's a bit of a problem. Just plodding along at this point.

This is every damn season of GoT. Every season is like a crescendo until the 9th episode, which is typically epic and exciting. The fact that you're a book reader (even though we're past the book on some story lines) kinda makes things a little predictable, at least it does for me.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It seemed pretty similar to the funeral pyre.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I don't have a problem with her immunity to fire thing. It plays well on TV, and they FINALLY did a good job doing something that wasn't 100 percent predictable.

Simply stop reading my posts if you don't want to read them. I used to go in-depth on what I did and didn't like but, after almost the entirety of last season and most of this season, it's not worth the effort any more. I mean, I'm still hoping it gets better, like I kept hoping TWD got better. TWD didn't but, like TWD, GoT has an episode here or a scene there that keeps pulling me back in.

LOL - I was wondering the same thing - what is your level of action required, Stout?

I thought it was a good episode - and really moved the story along. Loved the end scene!

It's not even a level of action so much as it is a need to actually further the plot in a good way without being sooooooooooooooooooooooooo predictable. Every episode, in almost every scene now, I'll sit there and go "and now X is going to happen, now Y is going to happen, and of course Z character will end up doing THIS", and so on. And I'm right most of the time. The writing quality has just gone to the dogs (not the Hound lol) IMO.

I'm hoping it gets better, or I won't be back for season 6. Didn't even think about buying season 5.

This is every damn season of GoT. Every season is like a crescendo until the 9th episode, which is typically epic and exciting. The fact that you're a book reader (even though we're past the book on some story lines) kinda makes things a little predictable, at least it does for me.

Except the first two episodes are almost entirely slow plodding setup, which is fine, and plot lines tend to move after that. We've had FOUR of those types of episodes to start the season *YAWN*

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
I think this episode spells the beginning of the end for the Essos-based stories. By the end of this season, I expect all the major players to be unified on the same continent. Then next season is all about securing the Iron Throne. Then the final season is all about dealing with the White Walkers.

I am probably wrong, but it felt like Dany seized all the power she needed to bend Slaver's Bay her her will once-and-for-all. I think it means her homecoming will be in Episode 9 or 10 this year.

If that is the case, then I will respectfully disagree with Stout that this was another plodding, spinning wheels, episode. It may turn out that this was the first episode where all the players start moving toward their final position and we will look back at it that way.

However, if Dany gets bogged down again dealing with slavers. Or if the Lannisters and Dornish armies don't wrap up that conflict soon. Or if we have to wait for the Pike stories to catch up to the books, then we may say this was yet another do-nothing episode.

The good thing about this episode is that it clearly set us up for a great second half of the season. But only if there is less talking and more doing.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
Yep, I knew the reason I just don't see it as a big deal. The show has already set the precedent that it's going to take it's own path in regards to characters. For example, the new chapter of the book just released focuses on multiple characters already killed off on the show. I just don't understand why people are having a cow about it. Personally I loved that scene and how that played out with her taking her own power back despite the circumstances.

She had to solve the issue herself. If she was "Rescued", we'd have a season of her running from the Dothraki and fighting them and the slavers. Yawn. Now we fast-forward through that and she can mop up her enemies and move on.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
She had to solve the issue herself. If she was "Rescued", we'd have a season of her running from the Dothraki and fighting them and the slavers. Yawn. Now we fast-forward through that and she can mop up her enemies and move on.

I thought for sure they were going to sentence her to die,...and in her moment of deepest despair,...the freed dragons would come swooping in and fry the dothraki horde....and then she would own whomever was left...

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I thought for sure they were going to sentence her to die,...and in her moment of deepest despair,...the freed dragons would come swooping in and fry the dothraki horde....and then she would own whomever was left...

I wonder if that's what Stout thought or if he KNEW that she would become Pyro. ;)

Stout

Reaction score
I wonder if that's what Stout thought or if he KNEW that she would become Pyro. ;)

No no, I said this was a moment that broke my expectations. I rolled my eyes and said, "And enter Drogon." When she grabbed the edge of the brazier and I realized what was about to happen, I became "Ohhhhhhhhhhhh!" And smiled. I loved this bit. This was by far the best moment in an episode full of meh.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
No no, I said this was a moment that broke my expectations. I rolled my eyes and said, "And enter Drogon." When she grabbed the edge of the brazier and I realized what was about to happen, I became "Ohhhhhhhhhhhh!" And smiled. I loved this bit. This was by far the best moment in an episode full of meh.

They've done that twice to me this season, turn my expectations upside down.

1. I was sure Jon Snow would resurrect in Ghost and they even panned over to Ghost long enough to tease me.

2. I figured it wouldn't be Drogon, but the other two dragons coming to the rescue.

Stout

Reaction score

1. I was sure Jon Snow would resurrect in Ghost and they even panned over to Ghost long enough to tease me.

2. I figured it wouldn't be Drogon, but the other two dragons coming to the rescue.

Me too on #1. Which is what really will happen in the books. The problem with using Ghost is, the writers clearly wanted to go all cheeseball and schmuck bait us with this story line, and showing him in Ghost would have scuppered that bit.

Stout

Reaction score
wow, I really liked
.. and the scene where Brienne was
Does anyone else think that if
then maybe
?

All I know is, Jon Snow sure as hell better
or I aint watching anymore!
:thumbup:

I appreciate the effort, oaken1. All you need to do to get it to work is to put a / symbol before the word spoiler the second time you use it.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Oh I am so glad that didn't happen. I would prefer the show doesn't become the GOT version of the Shaggy D.A.

As far as your #2 point? I thought for sure that was coming as well.

cardfaninfl

Demographically significant
Reaction score
This was not only the worst episode of the worst season, this installment was so terrible I'm now one or two viewings from dropping the series completely. It was that bad.

Scene 1 - Sansa is clearly being set up as part of the Future Formidable Female Finale, but the writers have no idea how to transform her.

Scene 2 - Arya is still pledging, is still getting her ass kicked by Mean Girl with Bo Staff skills, and Jack-Open-A-Jar is still talking like a graduate thesis advisor that stays stoned all the time and babbles existential warnings. It’s the same storyline trapped in a loop, and we are tired of it. Either make Arya the Lon Chaney of ninja assassins or send her back home.

I was actually enjoying the theatre company bit, until the Master of Fart and Dick Jokes (from the writers' Small Council) chimed in.

Scene 3 - The reason for creating Whiteys was as interesting as the visual creation was lame. The "why" was cool, but the "how" should have been left to our imagination.

Scene 4 - A nine minutes explanation of why nobody has cared about the Ironborn since Benedict Greyjoy had his kraken hacked off. We already knew all the reasons not to care, you didn't have to tell us.

Scene 5 - Jorah loves Khaleesi. For those viewers that have missed every other episode and are just now joining us.

Scene 6 - Meereen: the city of pyramids filled with stalled, irrelevant storylines.

Scene 7 - I wish Brandon had climbed higher up the tower when Jaime pushed him.

Scene 8 - Back to Sansa. Extension of Scene 1, only worse.

Scene 9 - Back to Bran. Extension of Scene 7, only now I wish Brandon was pushed off a flying dragon.

I hope Ramsey captures the douche that turned Hodor's name into a racist joke reference.

This episode (combined with the rest of the season so far) proves that a series going a year or two, too long, is often far worse than ending too soon.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
This was not only the worst episode of the worst season, this installment was so terrible I'm now one or two viewings from dropping the series completely. It was that bad.

Scene 1 - Sansa is clearly being set up as part of the Future Formidable Female Finale, but the writers have no idea how to transform her.

Scene 2 - Arya is still pledging, is still getting her ass kicked by Mean Girl with Bo Staff skills, and Jack-Open-A-Jar is still talking like a graduate thesis advisor that stays stoned all the time and babbles existential warnings. It’s the same storyline trapped in a loop, and we are tired of it. Either make Arya the Lon Chaney of ninja assassins or send her back home.

I was actually enjoying the theatre company bit, until the Master of Fart and Dick Jokes (from the writers' Small Council) chimed in.

Scene 3 - The reason for creating Whiteys was as interesting as the visual creation was lame. The "why" was cool, but the "how" should have been left to our imagination.

Scene 4 - A nine minutes explanation of why nobody has cared about the Ironborn since Benedict Greyjoy had his kraken hacked off. We already knew all the reasons not to care, you didn't have to tell us.

Scene 5 - Jorah loves Khaleesi. For those viewers that have missed every other episode and are just now joining us.

Scene 6 - Meereen: the city of pyramids filled with stalled, irrelevant storylines.

Scene 7 - I wish Brandon had climbed higher up the tower when Jaime pushed him.

Scene 8 - Back to Sansa. Extension of Scene 1, only worse.

Scene 9 - Back to Bran. Extension of Scene 7, only now I wish Brandon was pushed off a flying dragon.

I hope Ramsey captures the douche that turned Hodor's name into a racist joke reference.

This episode (combined with the rest of the season so far) proves that a series going a year or two, too long, is often far worse than ending too soon.

Stout, is that you?

Have to completely disagree with you. Yet another example of why this is the best show on television. Yes, one or two storylines are going nowhere, but the main stuff is really moving along well.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
Stout, is that you?

Have to completely disagree with you. Yet another example of why this is the best show on television. Yes, one or two storylines are going nowhere, but the main stuff is really moving along well.

Have to agree. This is the first time in a while that it feels like the main story actually progressed.

You must be registered for see images attach

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Already, this season is lightyears ahead of Season 5 in terms of overall story, action, and progression. I honestly don't get the vitriol directed towards the show this year, but I guess if you really want to stop watching, go for it.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson