Gambo's comments about Ray Brown

CFLredzoned

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
http://arizonasports.com/category/p...ea-9b4e-a99d018604b8&sid=1005&n=Burns+&+Gambo

He says he's hearing that Ray Brown is not just a terrible coach, but a "joke". They would even prefer to have Goodie back from an Xs and Os standpoint. Also says he's hearing not great things about Wilks now, but if they did decide to keep Wilks, he thinks Brown and Holcomb would be first to go.

What???!!!

Man, I'm so disillusioned. I don't know what to believe any more. And it wasn't just 98.7. It was the players - DJ Humphries, etc talking about what a great teacher he is. Even the consensus on this board was all positive. He coached Norwell up to a Pro Bowl. Knew how to communicate with the players and get the most out of them - with honey, not vinegar. Did anyone say "I don't know about this guy, I think it's all hype."

I thought I was skeptical before, but it's a Mt Everest size grain of salt from now on.

You must be registered for see images attach

And keeping with that theme, hell Gambo could just be making the whole thing up. He did sound pretty convincing though. :D

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
I thought we had concluded that Gambo is a clown, or have I misremembered?

Gambo does have sources in the Cards organization and locker room

he may be a clown, but one with credible sources

as for Ray Brown -- I don't know what to believe

the Cards o-line hasn't been good for a few years ( and for a variety of reasons)

I think its way more about talent than coaching

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The players know they have the worst coaching staff in the league. They know.

It's actually quite amazing they are still playing pretty hard. My guess is that since we mostly go for high character guys and have some quality vets and others that have been on good teams, there is a sense of pride that for now is overriding the urge to quit.

But I don't know how long that will last, and if MB doesn't see how much this staff sucks (and out of touch for today's NFL) and make changes in the offseason, I can't see that pride lasting next season barring some lucky streak. But in the long run it won't be successful, and surely won't take us anywhere because our system cannot compete and cannot consistently score 30-40-50 points.

The players also know they just lost to a team that didn't try. They saw it on film, the Raiders aren't trying, and didn't have their top 2 receivers (or 3 if you count Cooper). They had Seth Droperts and Cook, who somehow being the only threat to catch the ball, especially red zone, they left uncovered for their first TD. They lost to them.... at home. So we'll see what happens going forward.

Speaking of home... where once again the opposing teams fans made the most noise. Silver and black everywhere. Chants of 'Raiiiideeeerrrs' everywhere nearly constantly. I scored a ticket and watched it in section 135, and it was literally at least 75% Raiders fans. Looking around, the lower bowl was, in various sections, at best ~50/50...maybe a couple at 40/60, at worst, a few other sections were like mine. I couldn't see the upper deck behind me, but the other side, north side -was mostly raiders fans. It was bad. Walking around for concessions, mostly raiders fans. Where we parked, only raiders fans. On the walk, only raiders fans. Chanting non stop, boasting how it's an Oakland home game. It WAS an Oakland home game. Hell I missed our first TD because some Raider fan came up to me saying, these are our seats, I just bought them, and I was like, dude, that's section 136, next one over.

MB has to notice. It's all falling apart. Everything they built, it's eroding away and the dam is in the process of bursting.

On the offensive side, we saw last night in the KC vs LA game where the NFL is going (or rather, where it is firmly at). You create mismatches and confuse the defense, often times utilizing motion, stacks, etc. The teams doing this are the ones that are lighting it up. As many have said, all the rules are tilted towards the offense. Your offense is predicated on exploiting the defense through creativity down in and down out.

We have a QB that has the mental acumen to run such an offense because he can read a defense pre-snap and take advantage, we just need to put him in a system that allows, encourages, and gives him the tools for him to do it even better and more consistently. Then get the personnel to run it effectively.

We have to go against these Rams, McVay's system and Goff twice a year for the next decade or so. If we want to compete, we need to find a coach that can match and hopefully exceed that. In a sense that makes it easier because we can't hide from it. We can't say we'll only play a team like that once in a while, bury our head in the sand and do something else. They are in our division, and soon everyone is going to try to copycat. We need to take on that task head on. If we don't, we're just pissing into the wind as a franchise.

The NFL has changed, and we as a franchise need to align our coaching staff, front office, scouts, and ownership all on that task.

It's clear this coaching staff isn't up for it. The front office, scouts, and ownership all TBD.

We also better not dilly dally. Because other front offices know it too. We better come out swinging, know who we want, and back up the brinks truck to get him. The reports of the Giants being interested in Lincoln Riley is a shot across the bow. The coaching hires the past couple of years were too. They knew this is where it was at/going, and went after those coaches aggressively. Is our ownership and front office up to that task? If not, we're in trouble.

Now maybe they saw it too, but made a mistake in thinking they needed to get someone who could stop all that. After this season there should be no illusion. We need that or we can't compete, at least not for anything meaningful. We need it in a head coach, so he doesn't get poached either. At this point, it'll be rare for a DC to get poached, but a young OC? Of course, which is why we need it as a HC.

Finally, this is where it is at on the lower levels too. Literally high school players and coaches are running their offenses like this. This is the pipeline ahead. We better get on it, or we're not going to be able to compete. Evolve or be a perennial doormat. We're already years behind, we don't want to add more years to it.

Veer

All Star
Reaction score
Don't know much about him. But the Panthers OL was always very good under him. They had more talent than our OL for sure, but it's not like they invested heavily in their OL. Mid and late round picks mostly.

When you look at our OL, I don't think any OL coach in the world could make a big difference.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gambo has terrible sources. He is wrong 90% of the time.

Not saying this isn't true but I don't buy anything that comes out of Gambo's mouth.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Yesterday Clown Gambo also reported that Wilks micro manages the team (asking players they need to get different shoes), if Wilks is kept Cardinals may ask Bowles to come in as DC, Players feel Wilks needs to assign some blame to coaching instead of saying it's the player is not in the right gap or missed assignments etc all the time.

JosiahLee

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

It's actually quite amazing they are still playing pretty hard. My guess is that since we mostly go for high character guys and have some quality vets and others that have been on good teams, there is a sense of pride that for now is overriding the urge to quit.

But I don't know how long that will last, and if MB doesn't see how much this staff sucks (and out of touch for today's NFL) and make changes in the offseason, I can't see that pride lasting next season barring some lucky streak. But in the long run it won't be successful, and surely won't take us anywhere because our system cannot compete and cannot consistently score 30-40-50 points.

The players also know they just lost to a team that didn't try. They saw it on film, the Raiders aren't trying, and didn't have their top 2 receivers (or 3 if you count Cooper). They had Seth Droperts and Cook, who somehow being the only threat to catch the ball, especially red zone, they left uncovered for their first TD. They lost to them.... at home. So we'll see what happens going forward.

Speaking of home... where once again the opposing teams fans made the most noise. Silver and black everywhere. Chants of 'Raiiiideeeerrrs' everywhere nearly constantly. I scored a ticket and watched it in section 135, and it was literally at least 75% Raiders fans. Looking around, the lower bowl was, in various sections, at best ~50/50...maybe a couple at 40/60, at worst, a few other sections were like mine. I couldn't see the upper deck behind me, but the other side, north side -was mostly raiders fans. It was bad. Walking around for concessions, mostly raiders fans. Where we parked, only raiders fans. On the walk, only raiders fans. Chanting non stop, boasting how it's an Oakland home game. It WAS an Oakland home game. Hell I missed our first TD because some Raider fan came up to me saying, these are our seats, I just bought them, and I was like, dude, that's section 136, next one over.

MB has to notice. It's all falling apart. Everything they built, it's eroding away and the dam is in the process of bursting.

On the offensive side, we saw last night in the KC vs LA game where the NFL is going (or rather, where it is firmly at). You create mismatches and confuse the defense, often times utilizing motion, stacks, etc. The teams doing this are the ones that are lighting it up. As many have said, all the rules are tilted towards the offense. Your offense is predicated on exploiting the defense through creativity down in and down out.

We have a QB that has the mental acumen to run such an offense because he can read a defense pre-snap and take advantage, we just need to put him in a system that allows, encourages, and gives him the tools for him to do it even better and more consistently. Then get the personnel to run it effectively.

We have to go against these Rams, McVay's system and Goff twice a year for the next decade or so. If we want to compete, we need to find a coach that can match and hopefully exceed that. In a sense that makes it easier because we can't hide from it. We can't say we'll only play a team like that once in a while, bury our head in the sand and do something else. They are in our division, and soon everyone is going to try to copycat. We need to take on that task head on. If we don't, we're just pissing into the wind as a franchise.

The NFL has changed, and we as a franchise need to align our coaching staff, front office, scouts, and ownership all on that task.

It's clear this coaching staff isn't up for it. The front office, scouts, and ownership all TBD.

We also better not dilly dally. Because other front offices know it too. We better come out swinging, know who we want, and back up the brinks truck to get him. The reports of the Giants being interested in Lincoln Riley is a shot across the bow. The coaching hires the past couple of years were too. They knew this is where it was at/going, and went after those coaches aggressively. Is our ownership and front office up to that task? If not, we're in trouble.

Now maybe they saw it too, but made a mistake in thinking they needed to get someone who could stop all that. After this season there should be no illusion. We need that or we can't compete, at least not for anything meaningful. We need it in a head coach, so he doesn't get poached either. At this point, it'll be rare for a DC to get poached, but a young OC? Of course, which is why we need it as a HC.

Finally, this is where it is at on the lower levels too. Literally high school players and coaches are running their offenses like this. This is the pipeline ahead. We better get on it, or we're not going to be able to compete. Evolve or be a perennial doormat. We're already years behind, we don't want to add more years to it.

Wow. Excellent assessment. Bravo

Syracusecards

DA's pass went that way
Reaction score

Excellent analysis. Put that on a letter/petition to Michael Bidwill and I’ll gladly sign.

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Great damn post Cardsfan88!

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Bidwill can’t be that stupid to think the “ leader of men” is the guy for this job. Raid the Rams or Chiefs coaching staffs for a new head coach. Do it YESTERDAY!

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm betting that Gambo had very little brilliance to share with us before the season started.

Of course, it could turn out that he was right, but I caution us all to "trust our eyes" and judge these guys less on the basis of what someone else says and more on what we see for ourselves (i.e. buried deep within the word-salad may be that rare pearl of wisdom that can actually teach us something).

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
I know it's Gambo, but this makes sense. I actually don't think the talent on the line is substandard. With decent coaching, it wouldn't be a complete liability in pass protection. Ray Brown is all bark, no bite.

LarryStalling

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
in our search for a new coach, please don't hire Lovie Smith after the Illini hopefully show him the door when the season is over.

New Mexico

Fan since 1976ish
Reaction score
Bidwill can’t be that stupid to think the “ leader of men” is the guy for this job. Raid the Rams or Chiefs coaching staffs for a new head coach. Do it YESTERDAY!

The Rams and Chiefs have great players and head coaches, not necessarily great coordinators who would make great head coaches.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score

The evidence is pretty substantial. The last six games will tell the story completely.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The evidence is pretty substantial. The last six games will tell the story completely.
What do u expect from those last meaningless six games
I think is enough what we saw to jump a conclusion, but michael bidwill who has no other real business outside of the cardinals can see things with different perspective then us

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson