Gaining an Edge

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To what extent do adjustments made during a game flip the outcome of that game. And how good/bad are the Cardinals at making those adjustments? Are we underestimating adjustments as a critical factor in deciding games?

Just wondering.
We seem to do a poor job on both sides of the ball

VJ it seems makes none at all and we continue to be burnt by the same plays over and over

HairZach

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
the Captain started great but then like the entire team it all just went left

That really was one of the oddest years I’ve ever seen. Like two completely different teams
It felt like his downturn came after he got COVID. I have read that there are instances where COVID can have permanent negative effects on athletic ability. Hopefully thats not the case with Humphries.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It felt like his downturn came after he got COVID. I have read that there are instances where COVID can have permanent negative effects on athletic ability. Hopefully thats not the case with Humphries.
Permanent?

HairZach

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Permanent?
From here

This is what I was thinking about. No way Humphries infection was bad enough for permanent damage.

Breathing issues after COVID-19​

A bad case of COVID-19 can produce scarring and other permanent problems in the lungs, but even mild infections can cause persistent shortness of breath — getting winded easily after even light exertion.

Lung recovery after COVID-19 is possible, but takes time. Experts say it can take months for a person’s lung function to return to pre-COVID-19 levels. Breathing exercises and respiratory therapy can help.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I get that but like I said the entire team fell off a cliff. I just can’t explain it.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Sauce will be long gone
Yeah, what a difference 3 weeks makes. I knew he would end up top CB in draft after the Combine is all said and done. I don't think he goes #2 to DET but if Hutchison is #1 then I don't see why DET doesn't take home town guy in Gardner.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Offensive line help when?
Well it depends. If my Edges & WRs are gone I like Johnson. I think Hernandez may help. I also think the line is better than people think. I have potential line guys at most points in the draft. Too tough to guess who‘s still there when but this is a deep O-Line draft.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

Reaction score
Right but we need a project tackle
Humphries is in a contract year
Beachum is old
I would trade down a bit in round 1, adding a third
Getting a guard in round 1, Kenyon Green, Zion
The Minnesota edge in round 2, Boye Mafe
Wr and tackle in the third
Mafe will never get to the Cards’ second round slot.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

Reaction score
From here

This is what I was thinking about. No way Humphries infection was bad enough for permanent damage.
They‘re finding the severity of the COVID is not a good predictor of the extent of long-term damage.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I’m not totally sold on Humphrey as our LT starter. (penalties are unacceptable).

If a really talented OT was available at #23’ I’d be tempted
It is fair to feel like Humphries is a league average LT. The question with replacing him at this stage is is it worth creating another hole at a critical position just to save some cap room?

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
In terms of trading up for an EDGE player...I don't know. It is one of the few spots I would consider but I am also comfortable with Ojabo or Mafe at 23 so that may be skewing my feel.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
In terms of trading up for an EDGE player...I don't know. It is one of the few spots I would consider but I am also comfortable with Ojabo or Mafe at 23 so that may be skewing my feel.
I'd be comfortable drafting Ojabo and redshirting him. That dude is a stud and probably would have been a top ten pick if not for the injury.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I’d be cool with Ojabo at 23 if it was a torn ACL.

Torn Achilles is a whole different conversation.
True. History isn't on his side for a torn achilles, though Cam Akers came back fairly quickly last year and still looked explosive.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
True. History isn't on his side for a torn achilles, though Cam Akers came back fairly quickly last year and still looked explosive.
Yea against our trash run defense.

He was a non-factor against the Bucs, 9ers, & Bengals. Almost single-handily lost against the Bucs if anything.

Just gives more of a reason for athletes to not come back early from an Achilles tear.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
To be fair Cam Akers had 55 yards at 3.2 yards per carry.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
It is fair to feel like Humphries is a league average LT. The question with replacing him at this stage is is it worth creating another hole at a critical position just to save some cap room?
LTs are hard to find. If you are fortunate to draft one who's a legit starter... you suck it up buttercup and keep him, being thankful he's not a re-tread you are throwing tons of money at just to be adequate

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
LTs are hard to find. If you are fortunate to draft one who's a legit starter... you suck it up buttercup and keep him, being thankful he's not a re-tread you are throwing tons of money at just to be adequate
A below average LT can sometimes sink an offense.

Humphries wouldn't be in my top twenty of players I'd think about moving on from.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
A below average LT can sometimes sink an offense.

Humphries wouldn't be in my top twenty of players I'd think about moving on from.

We're stuck with Hump whether we like it or not.

Ask yourself, if we put him up for trade would teams be scrambling to sign him and what do you think we would get? I think the answer is not many and not much.

According to PFF Eric Fisher had a better grade, less penalties and the same amount of sacks as Hump last year and was paid $8.5m for it. He's still unsigned.

That's about the level I would put Hump.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

Ask yourself, if we put him up for trade would teams be scrambling to sign him and what do you think we would get? I think the answer is not many and not much.

According to PFF Eric Fisher had a better grade, less penalties and the same amount of sacks as Hump last year and was paid $8.5m for it. He's still unsigned.

I don't think he'd go for a premium pick, but a team would trade for him.

He had a down year compared to the previous year, but Murray is a hard QB to block for.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't think he'd go for a premium pick, but a team would trade for him.

He had a down year compared to the previous year, but Murray is a hard QB to block for.
Or sometimes easy cause he can move pretty well
Surely being unable to block whatever guy more then 0.5 seconds can't help

Dan H

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

I'm not sure I agree. Fisher is older, probably coming out of his prime due to that bad injury a couple of years back. He also hasn't played a full season since he got hurt. Hump has played 48 straight during that time.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose