Supporting Member
Reaction score
G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra

Release Date: August 7, 2009
Studio: Paramount Pictures
Director: Stephen Sommers
Screenwriter: Stuart Beattie, David Elliot, Paul Lovett
Genre: Action, Adventure
MPAA Rating: PG-13 (for strong sequences of action violence and mayhem throughout)

Starring: Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje, Christopher Eccleston, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Byung Hun Lee, Sienna Miller, Rachel Nichols, Ray Park, Said Taghmaoui, Channing Tatum, Marlon Wayans, Dennis Quaid

Plot Summary: Paramount Pictures and Hasbro, whose previous collaboration was the worldwide blockbuster "Transformers," join forces with Spyglass Entertainment for another extraordinary action-adventure "G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra." From the Egyptian desert to deep below the polar ice caps, the elite G.I. JOE team uses the latest in next-generation spy and military equipment to fight the corrupt arms dealer Destro and the growing threat of the mysterious Cobra organization to prevent them from plunging the world into chaos. "G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra." is directed by Stephen Sommers ("The Mummy," "The Mummy Returns").

You must be registered for see images attach

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would not be surprised if this film turns out to be uber cheesy.

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
Growing up in the 1970's, this was G.I. Joe to us:

You must be registered for see images

I can't relate to this movie at all. It has a Speed Racer quality to it to me.

SuperSpck

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'm expecting this movie to be terrible after seeing the previews. Sommers caught quirky lightning in a bottle with the original Mummy, but how he got work after his second go 'round I'll never know.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra

Release Date: August 7, 2009
Studio: Paramount Pictures
Director: Stephen Sommers
Screenwriter: Stuart Beattie, David Elliot, Paul Lovett

Paul Lovett is the guy I mentioned in the other thread. He's married to the daughter of my dad's brother in law. They're going to the premier at the Chinese Theater on Thursday I believe.

Paul and his partner were actually fired from the movie when the corporate folks made big shakeups, but the final script included so much of Paul's material they wound up having to give him screenwriter credit.

very nice guy really hope the movie does well.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Growing up in the 1970's, this was G.I. Joe to us:

You must be registered for see images

I can't relate to this movie at all. It has a Speed Racer quality to it to me.

That picture looks like a lost member of the Village People.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
The movie wasn't screened for critics, although a small few did see it. Word is that it's a good popcorn movie, and at least one of those few said it was better than Transformers 2. I'll reserved judgment because it still looks really bad.

Nasser22

Sec. 32: Go Devils!
Reaction score
I just got back from the midnight premier. Going into it after reading what everyone here thought it was going to be like, I came out pleasantly surprised. I really enjoyed it and it was better than Transformers 2, which isn't saying a great deal. It certainly wasn't as cheesy, though there were some parts that were. It was a great action flick. I liked the characters for both the Joes and the enemy side. They had such a quality cast of actors and they did very well. If you used to watch the show and are going to over analyze every bit of the movie, of course you will end up disappointed. GI Joe is a popcorn flick, a damn good one.

Last edited:

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This would have been a great movie to me 20 years ago. Now ...meh.

I disagree with that. I am 31 and grew up with GI Joe and I was stoked when I heard they were making it. The problem is that it is not the cartoon made into a movie, it is a action movie with GI Joe character names. If they would have make it Indianan Jones cheese style with more vintage outfits and used characters like Shipwreck and Bazooka in their original form, this would have been a movie I would be excited over. That being said, I will probably buy the Blu-Ray, but I will not see it in the theater.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I might go see this. I definitely would not have wanted to see the vintage cartoon on screen. Between technology and the translation to film it would have been a disaster on screen IMO.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The movie wasn't screened for critics, although a small few did see it. Word is that it's a good popcorn movie, and at least one of those few said it was better than Transformers 2. I'll reserved judgment because it still looks really bad.

I wish more studios did this. All the preamble leading up to blockbusters, few ever live up to expectations. It's starting to get annoying.

SuperSpck

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Saw it.

Why does Snake-Eyes have lips? The Duke romance angle annoyed the hell out of me. Sommers in general annoys the living hell out of me. There were a few genuinely good story pieces in the movie that would have worked but on the whole I felt like the movie started fine and just got worse and worse.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I enjoyed it. It's def not better than transformers 2 though :)

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Went in with really low expectations. I enjoyed it for what it was. A summer action flick with a lot of explosions.

Although I was very disappointed with some of the CGI. There were parts where I wasn't sure if I was watching a cartoon or a movie.

One thing I learned from this movie. Don't blow up ice! It sinks!

:doi:

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does anyone think this will get a sequel?

It has only grossed 148 million. It cost 175 million to make.

It did make another 140 million in international sales. But to me it just doesn't seem like there is much of a market overall?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard