Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
New Writers on G.I. Joe Adaptation?
Source: IGN Filmforce
February 1, 2005

Screenwriters David Elliot and Paul Lovett are now writing the big screen version of G.I. Joe.

Lorenzo Di Bonaventura is producing the live-action feature for Paramount Pictures.

-----------------------------------------------------

The May 2004 issue of ToyFare Magazine featured an exclusive interview with G.I. Joe producer Lorenzo DiBonaventura wherein he revealed that he's long been a "huge fan" of 12 inchers over those puny 3 3/4 inchers. Of course, the Hollywood heavyweight is talking about his preference for the classic G.I. Joe dolls over the action figures of the 1980s.

"There are a lot of different ways that the audience has connected with G.I. Joe [over the years]," DiBonaventura advised ToyFare, "so, we're going to do our best to honor as many as we can."

He confirmed that G.I. Joe will feature an updated take on Cobra Command, as well as origins for a few key characters. The producer also promised that fans are "definitely going to see ninja and martial arts aspects in the story."

"It's been an education for me in reading the comic books and seeing the shows and getting to know the characters that I wasn't familiar with growing up," said DiBonaventura. "We've been trying to get inside Duke, who will be our lead character, and fleshing out what Duke stands for, what his internal fears are and trying to craft a story that highlights that and plays off that."

Michael Gordon's script focuses "on Duke and [newcomer] Rex, and, essentially, the conflict that Rex represents for all of the Joes and specifically to Duke."

While DiBonaventura wants G.I. Joe to be a PG or PG-13 rated "self-contained" story, the prospect of sequels is obviously on everyone's mind. That means the first film must be successful. Does the producer think a movie about the U.S. military will be embraced by foreign audiences who aren't exactly lovin' Uncle Sam these days? "What (the Joes) stand for, and what Duke stands for specifically in the movie, is something that I'd like to think a worldwide audience might connect with."

---------------------------------------------------------

Joes v. Cobra. Snake Eyes v. Storm Shadow. :notworthy

I hope they do this justice.

Plenty of characters to work with. :cool:

Attachments

• cobra.jpg
    cobra.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 196

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
G.I. Joe movie (2009)

G.I. Joe Gets a Makeover for Movie

Concerned about the current negative image of the American military in many countries, Paramount Pictures and Hasbro, the toy manufacturer, have decided that in their forthcoming film featuring comic-book patriot G.I. Joe, the character will become part of a multinational force, the London Daily Telegraph reported today (Tuesday). Even the character's name has become an acronym for Global Integrated Joint Operating Entity, the newspaper said. Word of the makeover is likely to anger U.S. conservatives, the Telegraph noted. The film is due to open in 2009.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Concerned about the current negative image of the American military in many countries, Paramount Pictures and Hasbro, the toy manufacturer, have decided that in their forthcoming film featuring comic-book patriot G.I. Joe, the character will become part of a multinational force, the London Daily Telegraph reported today (Tuesday). Even the character's name has become an acronym for Global Integrated Joint Operating Entity, the newspaper said. Word of the makeover is likely to anger U.S. conservatives, the Telegraph noted. The film is due to open in 2009.

If they do it in the lines of Transformers, I'm in.

Pretty weak though, changing it to multinational...

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

:mad: And a few liberals, too.

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd love for this movie to have a Tomb Raider-type feel. I liked the presentation of those films.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd love for this movie to have a Tomb Raider-type feel. I liked the presentation of those films.

Not I. The TR movies were fine, but just doesn't seem to fit here.

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not I. The TR movies were fine, but just doesn't seem to fit here.

What would your vision of the movie look like? I just dont want it looking like the other superhero movies.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
freaking liberal hollywood strikes again. WOW!

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd like to see more of the comic-book storyline than the cartoon/toys. It always had some pretty mature themes and stuff. The backstory of Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow is excellent.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What would your vision of the movie look like? I just dont want it looking like the other superhero movies.

I have absolutely no clue. It doesn't have to be full of CGI.

Heucrazy

Pretty Prince of Parties
Reaction score
This is stupid. I probably won't see the movie now because of this.

What's next are they going to add a dog character to the Thundercats movie to make it more PC?

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The evil Destro does bear slight resemblance to both Cheney and Mussolini.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
whatever. I really don't care: GI Joe isn't a real person, so it matters not.

Heucrazy

Pretty Prince of Parties
Reaction score
whatever. I really don't care: GI Joe isn't a real person, so it matters not.

Says the guy who would flip if they completely changed the persona of a comic book character for a movie.

Hollywood

is part black.
Reaction score
Mesa, Arizona, USA, Planet Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
this is weak. I already don't want to see this movie. It kind of makes me think about, I think it was Air Force One, where they changed the villian from middle eastern to slovacian so as not to portray middle easterners as terrorist only to have Osama hijack a plane and kill thousands.

SuperSpck

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I don't think moving GI Joes from General Infantry Fodder to Multinational Clooneys is going to be a deal breaker for me, but I do think it was an unnecessary change and if that's the kind of thing the makers are worried about then their priorities are a little messed up.

dogpoo32

meh
Reaction score
I don't think moving GI Joes from General Infantry Fodder to Multinational Clooneys is going to be a deal breaker for me, but I do think it was an unnecessary change and if that's the kind of thing the makers are worried about then their priorities are a little messed up.

The deal breaker is the douchery. I want to see the GI Joe I used to blow the crap out of my backyard WITH, not the GI Joe that was more interested in hanging out at a coffee shop with Ken. I want to see Joe fight the evil in the world, not try to understand it. Gah!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Making these changes is stupid. Just scrap the whole project if you're too afraid to make it like it should be made.

:bang:

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, at least we know what they're going to do now.

...and knowing is half the battle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard