Future Penny

Wally

Registered
Reaction score
Or....... another Kobe thread:D

I sad this before and now that Kobe has re-injured his surgically "repaired" shoulder AGAIN, I'll say it again......

I really hope we don’t make the same mistake as we did with Hardaway. A good portion of Kobe's game involves getting fouls called by jumping into to defender. He will either continue to be injured or he will not be as effective in that part of his game. I'll go on record again - I hope we don't "win" the Kobe sweepstakes. Getting another injured superstar is more than I can handle.

Phill11

The Payphone Man
Reaction score
This fits Tmac more....

Penny- Played with Orlando
McGrady- Plays with Orlando
Penny- Great player with Orlando
McGrady- Great Player with Orlando
Penny- Showing little signs of injury with Orlando
McGrady- Showing a few signs of injury with Orlando
Penny- Worst Aquistion for the Suns in franchise history
McGrady- To Be Known

OP
OP
W

Wally

Registered
Reaction score
Originally posted by Phill11
This fits Tmac more....

McGrady- To Be Known

Hey, I know - Let's get Grant Hill and remove all the guess work.:D
Seriously, I like the idea of building your own. We have a pretty good shot at doing that with Amare. If JJ continues to improve with age, I like our chances by adding a good outside shooter and a good rebounder. McDyess may fill the rebounding hole and if Lampe puts on some mussle, I could get really excited about the potential we already have. We may even have the shooter we need sitting in Europe right now.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I have said I'm not entirely comfortable with giving anyone a max contract, at least partially because I keep hoping the new players agreement will limit guarenteed contracts to four years (in exchange for getting rid of the luxury tax). Signing a max contract now would lock for a guy who COULD become injured.

That being said, I think the comparison with Penny is a bit of a push. Penny had problems with injuries in Orlando and the Magic were actively shopping him. The Suns overpaid considering his injury record.

Another example would be Googs. He played only 41 games his last season with the Wolves. Perhaps that should have been a warning sign, although prior to that he was generally pretty healthy.

I don't know enough about Kobe's history of injuries to know if they are an explicit trouble sign. I'm sure many people figure he is worth the risk since he would have the same impact that Barkley had. If Kobe stays healthy, the Suns compete for the championship. If he gets injured, the Suns are doomed to mediocrity for another half decade.

Since I don't think Kobe WILL sign with the Suns, I'm not terribly concerned. But if he does want to sign, I supposed all I could do is cross all my fingers and hope that their bad luck with guys like Hot Rod Williams, Penny, and Googs is all in the past.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Phill11
This fits Tmac more....

McGrady- To Be Known

Penny Hardaway showed "little signs of injury" with Orlando? You must be joking. The three seasons before he was traded to Phoenix he played just 59, 19, and 50 games. The Colangelos took a big risk signing him to a maximum contract, and unfortunately it backfired.

Joe Mama

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Originally posted by Joe Mama
Penny Hardaway showed "little signs of injury" with Orlando? You must be joking. The three seasons before he was traded to Phoenix he played just 59, 19, and 50 games. The Colangelos took a big risk signing him to a maximum contract, and unfortunately it backfired.

Joe Mama

Exactly. Wanna know the difference? Kobe will be back in playing shape much quicker than Hardaway ever was, and he'll STILL be one of the best players in the NBA.

Signing Kobe and signing Penny the same thing? Give me a break. :rolleyes:

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Originally posted by Chaplin
Exactly. Wanna know the difference? Kobe will be back in playing shape much quicker than Hardaway ever was, and he'll STILL be one of the best players in the NBA.

Signing Kobe and signing Penny the same thing? Give me a break. :rolleyes:

Any injury is a risk, but leg and knee injuries are always a bigger concern than upper body injuries (with the exception of back injuries). Every knee injury reduces a player's mobility just a little and often to the point where the guy is no longer effective.

This is why I don't think anyone is going to throw a big contract at Dice. They don't know how close to his old self he can become and there is a high risk of re-injury.

I don't understand what is going on with Kobe's shoulder, but unless there is nerve damage it seems unlikely that it would permaently limit him once he recovers. Of course, he is only one Danny Fortson away from losing his career. :mad:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by George O'Brien
Any injury is a risk, but leg and knee injuries are always a bigger concern than upper body injuries (with the exception of back injuries). Every knee injury reduces a player's mobility just a little and often to the point where the guy is no longer effective.

This is why I don't think anyone is going to throw a big contract at Dice. They don't know how close to his old self he can become and there is a high risk of re-injury.

I don't understand what is going on with Kobe's shoulder, but unless there is nerve damage it seems unlikely that it would permaently limit him once he recovers. Of course, he is only one Danny Fortson away from losing his career. :mad:

I think what we're seeing in Kobe is that he had a shoulder problem at the end of last year - had surgery on it -- was then accused of Rape - it screwed up his head and he noticeably came into camp out of shape and much thinner than he had been for years - which means he wasn't working out all that much and probably focussing on the fact that he may be behind bars for a good chunk of life coming - not working out + not properly rehabbing = lingering shoulder problems until HE CAN FULLY REHAB.

Kobe has been one of the most durable players in all of basketball since he came in the league - there were reasons his shoulder hasn't proeperly healed - but I don't think they're from a long-distance physical thing.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph Garrison