Frozen

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I read a couple of online reviews that said they think the reason Frozen is getting so much attention is they broke the Disney "MO". Everyone assumes that she's going to fall for the prince and live happily ever after and many assume the ice sales guy is going to wind up with her sister.

So the "shocking turn" later in the movie throws everyone for a loop. The adults that assumed they had the whole formula figured out go hey, they actually changed the plot on this one. And the kids go whoa, that prince was a bad guy?

JL changed the Disney model that's why. They adopted the "PIXAR WAY" of developing story. It's only natural the way Disney struggled aside from PIXAR films that they would follow his lead now that he is the man in charge.

For example they now let new directors cut their teeth on short subject animation before granting them a feature length film to helm. They also implemented the philosophy of making it a filmmaker-driven studio, not an executive-driven studio. They also implemented the Pixar "BrainTrust" method at the direction with a version called "StoryTrust"

So, even though Disney broke the MO, I doubt they get completely away from it but they will approach story differently going forward. It's a good thing. It has really shown in the last 3 of the 4 films (Planes was horrible).

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Who says it was the best Disney movie? It's claim to fame now is that it has made the most money, but that doesn't mean it's the best.

My statement was more of a general statement about a lot of reaction I'm observing in real life and on other sites. Yes, a really cool movie, but not the best ever Disney movie. It wasn't a criticism of folks on here.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's because it was produced by John Lassiter. Case closed.

:)

Seriously though, glad to see him bringing the Pixar touch to the Disney side as well.

What really resonated well with me in that movie was the "true love" was sibling love, not romantic love. That was pretty well done. Our two daughters were fighting the day we watched that movie in the theater, and it really weighed on them. When you break down that the reason Elsa kept herself locked away was to protect her sister, it makes the magic at the end much better.

Plus, I like song movies anyway.

I actually thought they were singing too much but that's just me. Kids absolutely love it, Lucy's nieces break out in Let It Go and Do You Want To Build a Snowman at the drop of a hat.

Lucy loved it, I liked it but I prefer Brave and Tangled.

AZZenny

Reaction score
Finally saw it and adored it. Not the greatest, but the best in a long, long while.