From Fox news

8ndkorner

Registered
Reaction score
Intersting comment on the Clancy, Card's CB's and first draft priority.

Team Report: Inside Slant

Inside Slant | Notes and Quotes | Strategy and Personnel
In retaining Clancy Pendergast as defensive coordinator, new Cardinals coach Ken Whisenhunt gave an early indication that he won't just load his staff with cronies and attempt to duplicate everything that was done in Pittsburgh.

Whisenhunt did, however, hire an old friend, Todd Haley, as offensive coordinator. Whisenhunt will call the plays, something at which he quickly has acquired a solid reputation in the league.
The Cardinals have played a base 4-3 defense for a decade and with Pendergast being chosen to stay on from Dennis Green's staff, it is unlikely they'll be switching to a 3-4.

Pendergast will be working with an entirely new staff of assistants. He is the only coach who has been retained from the previous regime.

Pendergast is regarded as Whisenhunt's equal as a crafty schemer and game-planner, on the opposite side of the ball. With injuries piling up along the line and saddled with a pair of corners who were lame, Pendergast was forced to do more with less, and he kept the unit competitive during his three seasons with Green.

"I compliment Clancy on the job that he's done in the past and I'm very excited," Whisenhunt said. "We had a couple of long discussions about philosophy and where we want the defense and I'm excited to get that done with him.

"I think he's an extremely bright young coach and he's had some success here. I think that the value of continuity with our defense will be a good thing instead of having to learn new on both sides of the ball."

The only thing that gave Whisenhunt pause was the Cardinals defense plummeting to 29th in the NFL from eighth this season.

"I just wanted to find out why the defense had slipped a little bit last year after having been successful the year before," Whisenhunt said. "It was not an issue of pointing fingers or blame on anything. I was very comfortable with what he's done and where we go from there."

The Cardinals have solid personnel in place throughout the defense, although cornerback is their top priority during the off-season. Bertrand Berry and Chike Okeafor are a formidable pair of pass-rushing ends, Karlos Dansby is an athletic playmaker at outside linebacker, Gerald Hayes is an emerging stud at middle linebacker and strong safety Adrian Wilson was selected for the Pro Bowl.

Haley was passing-game coordinator and receivers coach at Dallas the past three years. The Cowboys' offense raked fifth in the league in 2006. He and Whisenhunt coached together on the New York Jets in 2000 and have remained friends.

"Obviously he's had success," Whisenhunt said. "He's worked hard in this business and come up in the ranks.

"I think he'll be valuable as far as organizing a plan and being involved with putting it in and making sure the staff is on the same page. I think it also gives me a crutch to lean on as far as not having to be as involved in the planning aspect of it, but still having the time to prepare, especially for calling the games."

But it took the resignation of Cowboys coach Bill Parcells for Haley to become available to Whisenhunt, who initially was denied permission to talk with Haley. The Cowboys interviewed Haley for their coaching position and then released him.

There are many players in place in the Cardinals offense to make an offensive guru slobber, although the line -- and especially unrestricted free-agent-to-be left tackle Leonard Davis -- pose a big question.

But with quarterbacks Matt Leinart and Kurt Warner, running back Edgerrin James and receivers Anquan Boldin, a Pro Bowler this year, and Larry Fitzgerald, a Pro Bowler last year, the skill position personnel is as good as any.

Coordinators Pendergast and Haley join assistant head coach and offensive line coach Russ Grimm, defensive backs coach Teryl Austin, linebackers coach Billy Davis, tight ends coach Richie Anderson, running backs coach Maurice Carthon, special teams coach Kevin Spencer and strength and conditioning coach John Lott on the Cardinals new staff.

Whisenhunt is expected to make a couple of more hires.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I
Pendergast is regarded as Whisenhunt's equal as a crafty schemer and game-planner, on the opposite side of the ball. With injuries piling up along the line and saddled with a pair of corners who were lame, Pendergast was forced to do more with less, and he kept the unit competitive during his three seasons with Green.
Thems strong words. Based on this type of feedback from Pendergast (and, more telling, that he was retained after saying it), I'll bet we make a very strong push for the top CBs in FA.

vinnymac

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
cb is a strong need for the cardinals. so is defensive and offensive line. i also feel the cardinals need to get a another runningback to back-up edgerrin james. can't wait until the pro-bowl is over. that way the cardinals can start inviting fa to visit.

red desert

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Pendy is the real deal. I've been saying it all along. You watch. This d is going to be tough this coming season. Especially if we pick up Clements or Samuel in FA. Given the tone of the article, that may just be our top offseason priority. Very cool.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Pendy is the real deal. I've been saying it all along. You watch. This d is going to be tough this coming season. Especially if we pick up Clements or Samuel in FA. Given the tone of the article, that may just be our top offseason priority. Very cool.

No team is in cap hell and the number of quality FA's this year is less than stellar.

Big dollars chasing a few quality free agents; sounds like a seller's market to me.

Maybe that's why Whis was talking about needed depth and not starters in a few of his interviews. He perhaps realizes that the chance of a coup (Briggs, Thomas, Samuel, Clement) are rather slim.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Big dollars chasing a few quality free agents; sounds like a seller's market to me.
The market is what it is--for everyone. The Cardinals shouldn't have less of a chance than anyone else at landing one of the big FAs.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The market is what it is--for everyone. The Cardinals shouldn't have less of a chance than anyone else at landing one of the big FAs.

Yes... but the point is that it will be more difficult. The Cards would certainly prefer a buyer's market and a host of quality FA's, which is not the case.

Salary Cap Room:

1.San Francisco $42.1M
2 Buffalo 39.7
3 Arizona 36.7
4 Tennessee 36
5 Cleveland 33.3
6 Minnesota 32.4
7 Jacksonville 32
7 St Louis 32
9 New England 30.4
10 Cincinnati 30.2
11 New Orleans 29.9
12 Green Bay 29.5
13 NY Jets 26.1
14 San Diego 24.6
15 Tampa Bay 24.2
16 Detroit 23.8
17 Chicago 23.4
18 Seattle 22.5
19 Dallas 21.5
20 Miami 17.8
21 NY Giants 15.7
22 Oakland 14.1
23 Houston 13.3
24 Philadelphia 12.4
25 Atlanta 10
26 Denver 7.6
27 Kansas City 7
28 Baltimore 5.7
29 Indianapolis 4.9
30 Carolina 3.4
31 Washington 0.95
32 Pittsburgh 0.15

*** I leave it to Joesmo, who is real good at this stuff - to subtract the likely RFA signings from the total, BIG???, rookie pool and injury contingency fund, etc., to reach the actual amount the Cards have to play with in Free Agency.

OldDirtMcGirt

Reaction score
I really don't want to see the Cardinals go after either Clements or Samuels in the offseason (though if we did pursue a corner I'd rather have Clements). Both Eric Green and Antrel Rolle have all of the tools to succeed as NFL cornerbacks and with new coaching should be given the opportunity to do so, but this time with a consistent pass rush, a FS that can actually cover, and scheme better tailored to their skill set. The way I see, our top priorities on defense should be FS, WLB, and DE.

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really don't want to see the Cardinals go after either Clements or Samuels in the offseason (though if we did pursue a corner I'd rather have Clements). Both Eric Green and Antrel Rolle have all of the tools to succeed as NFL cornerbacks and with new coaching should be given the opportunity to do so, but this time with a consistent pass rush, a FS that can actually cover, and scheme better tailored to their skill set. The way I see, our top priorities on defense should be FS, WLB, and DE.

I somewhat agree with you here, but don't you think Francisco and Griffith could handle the FS position?

OldDirtMcGirt

Reaction score
I somewhat agree with you here, but don't you think Francisco and Griffith could handle the FS position?

I think that Griffith will probably retire (he's 36 I believe) and Francisco although an excellent special teamer and great team member doesn't have the coverage skills (he got toasted alot during the season). I'd much rather see a guy like Brandon Merriwether in the second who could give our corners a safety blanket so they could play more physically instead of giving their man a ten yard cushion.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
4 Tennessee 36

Sure didn't take the Titans long to recover from "cap hell".

And what is Philadelphia doing at 24? I thought they were one of the model franchises for cap management.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score

I pretty much agree. The FS might need to be Rolle however. And preferably the CB Clements or Samuels who are allready proven. But I could settle for better overall DB depth as well. AS we've seen in the playoffs, the DB's are only as good as the front seven stopping the run and rushing the passer, so it doesn't put the secondary in the position of having to defence 2nd and short, or the qb given all day in the pocket.

OldDirtMcGirt

Reaction score
I pretty much agree. The FS might need to be Rolle however. And preferably the CB Clements or Samuels who are allready proven. But I could settle for better overall DB depth as well. AS we've seen in the playoffs, the DB's are only as good as the front seven stopping the run and rushing the passer, so it doesn't put the secondary in the position of having to defence 2nd and short, or the qb given all day in the pocket.

Although I'm sure Rolle would make a fine free safety, it's a counter productive move as it would necessitate getting Clements in free agency. Instead, keep the corners as they are, sign Roderick Hood out of Philly to add depth, draft Quentin Moses in the second, draft Tarrel Brown in the fifth, and sign Adalius Thomas and Ken Hamlin with the rest of our cap space. Those moves would do wonders for our secondary and our defense as a whole.

JC_AZ

JC_AZ
Reaction score

CB "tools" = SPEED and cover skills, when the CB can not look back to find the ball on a throw downfield because he is always TRYING TO CATCH UP...this is a problem. When the CB has to give the 10-15 yard "cushion" to account for lack of speed...this is a problem...currently I do not see the "tools" necessary to improve these postions on our roster.

OldDirtMcGirt

Reaction score
CB "tools" = SPEED and cover skills, when the CB can not look back to find the ball on a throw downfield because he is always TRYING TO CATCH UP...this is a problem. When the CB has to give the 10-15 yard "cushion" to account for lack of speed...this is a problem...currently I do not see the "tools" necessary to improve these postions on our roster.

Rolle is just as fast as both Asante Samuel and Nnamdi Asomugah, two top ten corners in the league, so I don't see speed as a problem. Clancy is the one who thought it necessary for him to play ten yards back even though Rolle should be able to play more physically and more agressively. This is partially because with A-Dub in the box and Robert Griffith we don't have anybody behind him, and also because our D-line can't get enough pressure on the quarterback. I'll give you that he needs to work at his cover skills and awareness, but things of that nature are taught. Rolle has all of the physical tools to succeed.

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Antrel Rolle is a Cover 2 corner who limits what the Cardinals can do in coverage schemes because you can't put him on an island, like you can some of the quicker, faster corners in the league.

What has compounded Rolle's limitations is having a slow, and not very instinctive free safety behind him. And even when the FS tilted to Rolle's side, it left the RCBs, Macklin and Green uncovered on the back side...who teams like the Rams had a field day exploiting.

The answer is to acquire at least one quick, fast corner, like Assante Samuel, who can play on an island when necessary, so that the Cardinals can employ more innovative and unpredictable coverages and blitz schemes. Part two of the answer is to acquire a legitimate ballhawking, free safety with greater speed and range, a la Reggie Nelson or Laron Landry.

This article points to the fact that adding talent to the secondary is a priority...and rightly so...which is why the Cardinals will likely throw big bucks at Samuel or Clements...and either trade down a few spots where they can still take Nelson or Landry...or take one of them at #5 (this is, unless Teryl Austin makes a push to sign UFA Ken Hamlin...who has the speed and range, but has battled head injuries, thus a cause for concern).

As free agency and the draft evolve...it wouldn't be surprising to see the Cardinals sign a CB like Samuel...a guard and a tackle, like Steinbach and Gandy...a speedy 4th WR/PR like Shaun McDonald...a blocking TE like Daniel Graham (Whiz wants to run a power running game)...and...if the Cardinals do sign a free agent FS...then they can stay at #5 and hope to choose between T Joe Thomas, DE Jamal Anderson or DT Alan Branch, depending on who is still on the board.

If the Cardinals do not sign a free agent FS...one would have to think that Nelson or Landry is in the thinking.

Mitch

Reaction score
Rolle is just as fast as both Asante Samuel and Nnamdi Asomugah, two top ten corners in the league, so I don't see speed as a problem. Clancy is the one who thought it necessary for him to play ten yards back even though Rolle should be able to play more physically and more agressively. This is partially because with A-Dub in the box and Robert Griffith we don't have anybody behind him, and also because our D-line can't get enough pressure on the quarterback. I'll give you that he needs to work at his cover skills and awareness, but things of that nature are taught. Rolle has all of the physical tools to succeed.

Rolle just as fast? Am I missing something?

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
yes our chances are just as good, however the money we spend will be greater---i personnaly dont want briggs or thomas. looking at the defenses that they are accustomed to playing with (arguably the two best in the league) there is no doubt that there would be a dropoff in their production no matter who signs them. but hey, i would love to grab clements and samuels, throw antrel in at fs from the best secondary in football and call it a day. if we had a good fs and two corners who can play imagine how much more we could send wilson after the qb. he would have 15 sacks.... imo

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
you might wanna double check that whole antrel speed thing again. the rest i agree with however i look at antrel and see potentially the best free safety in the league. he will never be a shut down corner or he would have been better thus far. the eighth pick is not supposed to be ok. i think moving him to safety is the only way you save him from being a bust.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Antrel Rolle is a Cover 2 corner who limits what the Cardinals can do in coverage schemes because you can't put him on an island, like you can some of the quicker, faster corners in the league.

What has compounded Rolle's limitations is having a slow, and not very instinctive free safety behind him. And even when the FS tilted to Rolle's side, it left the RCBs, Macklin and Green uncovered on the back side...who teams like the Rams had a field day exploiting.

The answer is to acquire at least one quick, fast corner, like Assante Samuel, who can play on an island when necessary, so that the Cardinals can employ more innovative and unpredictable coverages and blitz schemes. Part two of the answer is to acquire a legitimate ballhawking, free safety with greater speed and range, a la Reggie Nelson or Laron Landry.

This article points to the fact that adding talent to the secondary is a priority...and rightly so...which is why the Cardinals will likely throw big bucks at Samuel or Clements...and either trade down a few spots where they can still take Nelson or Landry...or take one of them at #5 (this is, unless Teryl Austin makes a push to sign UFA Ken Hamlin...who has the speed and range, but has battled head injuries, thus a cause for concern).

As free agency and the draft evolve...it wouldn't be surprising to see the Cardinals sign a CB like Samuel...a guard and a tackle, like Steinbach and Gandy...a speedy 4th WR/PR like Shaun McDonald...a blocking TE like Daniel Graham (Whiz wants to run a power running game)...and...if the Cardinals do sign a free agent FS...then they can stay at #5 and hope to choose between T Joe Thomas, DE Jamal Anderson or DT Alan Branch, depending on who is still on the board.

If the Cardinals do not sign a free agent FS...one would have to think that Nelson or Landry is in the thinking.
you are most likely more qualified than the raiders new coach

Mitch

Reaction score
yes our chances are just as good, however the money we spend will be greater---i personnaly dont want briggs or thomas. looking at the defenses that they are accustomed to playing with (arguably the two best in the league) there is no doubt that there would be a dropoff in their production no matter who signs them. but hey, i would love to grab clements and samuels, throw antrel in at fs from the best secondary in football and call it a day. if we had a good fs and two corners who can play imagine how much more we could send wilson after the qb. he would have 15 sacks.... imo

I don't see how you wouldn't want Briggs or Thomas...they are both stud OLBers...and the last I checked Orlando Huff was still starting.

I agree about Samuel or Clement...much prefer Samuel...but Clement would be a major upgrade, for sure.

However, it's no given that Antrel Rolle would be the right choice for FS either, because of his lack of pure speed. He may be a better fit at SS (like AW, Rolle is at his best when he plays up, not back)...but that doesn't help the Cardinals. Yet, it may help another team looking for a SS and is willing to make a trade.

And I agree with your last statement all the way...any way in which CP can send AW after the QB more often would be ideal. Fifteen sacks is actually not out of reach...if he does get enough chances.

Last edited:

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Samuel
Steinbach
Gandy
Shaun McDonald
Daniel Graham
Ken Hamlin

Not to mention RFA's to re-sign, Rookie pool; a new contact for Dansby during the season (and possibly others based on next season production); injury contingency fund...

ALL THIS FOR $36 MILLION in a seller's market.

Pleasant dreams, Mitch.

BigRedArk

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

I guess an improved and more consistent pass rush from the front four wouldn't have any effect on the cover abilities of our current CB's huh?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard