Fringe (FOX)

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The point is - at this point in the show - that all of the "fringe science" occurences are due to his early work with the owner of Massive Dynamic. So yes, so far he does have an answer for everything because it was based on his work in the first place.

Just my two cents. The show is ok for me and worth 40 minutes of my time (yay for DVR!) at this point in the story.

Yeah I get it I just can't shake that it reminds me of every Crichton novel I ever read.

if the pattern is entirely based on his past work with the other guy and it's all so dangerous you have to wonder why they didn't just have the guy killed when he was in the asylum so that he couldn't get involved later stopping them?

But right now the whole conspiracy is a bit hard to get since the black guy is clearly playing both sides.

I liked the last episode quite a bit more it was kind of funny.

Earlier that day I had taken my sister to Stanford hospital for some tests and while waiting for her we were reading the stanford student paper. There were several ads in there for people wanting to buy eggs or sperm and for wanting people to be subjects for experiments.

So when it turned out that guy was an old test subject I started laughing about the ones in the student paper hopefully not involving anything like that.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Pretty convenient that all of these fringe science things can be directly traced back to something the old doctor did in his lab.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pretty convenient that all of these fringe science things can be directly traced back to something the old doctor did in his lab.

isn't that the premise of the show? All of these fringe science things are developed said he and his colleagues.

I like the show. I like the interaction between the scientist and his son. The woman is pretty plain and boring. I'll stick with it to see where it goes.

Joe

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

I know. I think it would be better if everyone was on a plane that crashed on a deserted isle, except it isn't deserted, everyone's backstory kind of interlocks, and there's a giant monster that makes a ton of noise that noboy could see. Wait a second...boring, preposterous plots CAN become popular ;)

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I know. I think it would be better if everyone was on a plane that crashed on a deserted isle, except it isn't deserted, everyone's backstory kind of interlocks, and there's a giant monster that makes a ton of noise that noboy could see. Wait a second...boring, preposterous plots CAN become popular ;)

Lost is such a more superior show than Fringe, it's not even funny.

Stout

Reaction score
Lost is such a more superior show than Fringe, it's not even funny.

I know the general public by far agrees with you, but I don't. The respective qualities of the show was not the point, though. Fact is, they both have plots and assumptions that are completely outlandish, so I'm not going to knock Fringe for that as a fault.

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know the general public by far agrees with you, but I don't. The respective qualities of the show was not the point, though. Fact is, they both have plots and assumptions that are completely outlandish, so I'm not going to knock Fringe for that as a fault.

The fact is, you really have no basis for your opinion having only watched two episodes of Lost.

Lost is a much superior show, an amazing cast, a fantastically planned out storyline and solid writing.

Fringe is great too, but I haven't been blown away by it, nor do I hear people talking about it like they do with Lost.

Stout

Reaction score
The fact is, you really have no basis for your opinion having only watched two episodes of Lost.

Lost is a much superior show, an amazing cast, a fantastically planned out storyline and solid writing.

Fringe is great too, but I haven't been blown away by it, nor do I hear people talking about it like they do with Lost.

Egads Mike, try reading what I said. I am NOT comparing these shows in terms of how good they are; I didn't like Lost, but most people do. I know that Lost is a quote-unquote great show. I'm just saying that Lost has a ridiculous premise, as do many TV shows. Many successful TV shows. Fringe's premise is ridiculous as well. I'm just giving you a 'what's good for the goose is good for the gander' comparison. Again, NOT comparing how good they are. Dig?

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Egads Mike, try reading what I said. I am NOT comparing these shows in terms of how good they are; I didn't like Lost, but most people do. I know that Lost is a quote-unquote great show. I'm just saying that Lost has a ridiculous premise, as do many TV shows. Many successful TV shows. Fringe's premise is ridiculous as well. I'm just giving you a 'what's good for the goose is good for the gander' comparison. Again, NOT comparing how good they are. Dig?

You're kidding right? Nobody is slamming Fringe for its lack of realism. You seem to be using the fiction that people are to support your theory that Fringe is a better show.

Sure, both premises are ridiculous. But there's a difference between having connections and having preposterous coincidences.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
last night was pretty bad I thought, the whole bald guy that apparently doesn't age is right out of Lost (the guys not bald but doesn't age).

I keep seeing people bash the lead actress she's actually one of my 2 favorite characters on the show because she's sort of the "straight man" to the craziness of the father and son. The other one is the lady that the father injected to protect her last night. I like how they both sort of roll their eyes at the wackiness around them.

I also like how the lead actress seems quite clearly to not trust the black guy or the woman in charge of Massive Dynamics yet she interacts with them because she thinks she has to do to do her job.

But overall so far I've only liked one episode and even that was a mild like.

blindseyed

I'm saying you ARE stuck in Wichita
Reaction score
I'm trying to stick with this but I'm not hooked yet. If it doesn't pick up soon I may bail on it.

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow, I can't believe no one talks about this show from week to week. It's definitely one of the best ones on right now and I'm just loving it.

Last night was spooky and the ending left you going "Waaahuuh?"

Next week is the finale already.

Good news is that it got renewed for season 2!

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
This show has gotten stronger over the past few weeks, but it's still a 2nd-tier show. Peter Bishop had the chance all season to become a good character but the writers just make him out to be a glorified babysitter. I was glad to see him do something of substance finally last night.

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This show has gotten stronger over the past few weeks, but it's still a 2nd-tier show. Peter Bishop had the chance all season to become a good character but the writers just make him out to be a glorified babysitter. I was glad to see him do something of substance finally last night.

Past few weeks? Try the last 6-8 episodes at least. It's been good for awhile. Started off slow,but once they started developing Olivia more, it got real good.

I will agree Peter hasn't been used very well, but I still love what the series is about. Every week it's surprising and I have no idea what is in store.

Louis

DJ Roomba
Reaction score
Winning Friends and Influencing the People in My H
It gets better with each episode.

My wife quit watching but I saved the eps. About 2 weeks ago I told her to give it another shot because of how good it gets. Now she watches it weekly.

I really like that the Observer is on the scene of the event that happens to open the show. It's became almost a game to look for him.

Walter is a great character. Dunham actually is getting better. I thought she was the weakest in terms of casting. But Peter's role hopefully grows to be more.

Broyles and Charlie are also pretty good support actors.

For me I actually enjoy this a little more than Lost. Certainly one of my favorite 5 or 6 shows on tv right now.

Glad to see it's back next year. Now only if Dollhouse can get renewed.

Louis

DJ Roomba
Reaction score
Winning Friends and Influencing the People in My H
Wow. Great finale. And Bell smiling the entire time. I don't know if it was Nemoy smiling because he's back on tv or if it was because Bell is proud of what his and Walter's science has accomplished.

Alternative world with the WTC.

The newspaper headlines were:

Obama moving into new White House

Frmr President Kennedy to address congress with picture of gray haired JFK

Stock Market remains closed 21 days and counting

Len Bias named MVP

I'm sure the headlines mean jack in terms of the story line but how about that for an alternative reality. Opens up numerous possibilites like Dollhouse. With people being able to come back and forth.

And the big reveal on Peter.:shock:

What happened to Walter on Alt Earth? I wouldn't think Peter would get away from him that easily. There has to be an Alt Bell too. What happened to him? And is the war going to be with Alt Walter? Did Alt Walter write the manifesto?

Last edited:

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I actually love this show now funny how time changes things, i can't stand prison break and love Fringe.

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agreed, last night was great. The opening nod to the X-File was fantastic. I also just loved the opening in general and the way Olivia "appears" was simply awesome.

Curious about this new FBI agent too and what her motivation is.

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I havent read this thread for fear of spoilers, but I put Season 1 on my netflix. Once I'm finished with the Gilmore Girls series, Fringe will be next. I decided to do this after I heard this past episode had a shout-out to the X-Files (and because it's about the paranormal, of course). I believe this is only in season 2, right? So plenty of time to catch up...

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I havent read this thread for fear of spoilers, but I put Season 1 on my netflix. Once I'm finished with the Gilmore Girls series, Fringe will be next. I decided to do this after I heard this past episode had a shout-out to the X-Files (and because it's about the paranormal, of course). I believe this is only in season 2, right? So plenty of time to catch up...

Only season 2, plenty of time :)

How much more on Gilmore Girls do you have? :)

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting start to the season. Loved the nods to X-Files and the change to a certain main character was not something I had seen coming.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson