Free Agency 2020

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Which leaves the question, who was going to be the Suns starting point guard?

I thought McDonough had a deal for the Shai pick and it got vetoed.

I don't think so. To the best of my recollection, Gambo said we were making a move and rumors flew that it was for SGA but Rivers said repeatedly they were never making that deal. I think there was another deal that McD pushed that got vetoed but I don't recall what it was (other than it might have happened with Luka too).

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think so. To the best of my recollection, Gambo said we were making a move and rumors flew that it was for SGA but Rivers said repeatedly they were never making that deal. I think there was another deal that McD pushed that got vetoed but I don't recall what it was (other than it might have happened with Luka too).

If Shai was never on the table this makes the trade for Mikal Bridges that much better.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Wow. I really thought some team would throw their MLE at him. 7M per year is a bargain for what he brings.

pretty much exactly what I was expecting.

so our team is set. Signing Dario is a formality.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So Baynes is the starter in Toronto. We could not offer him that. He played well here, but Ayton is better.

And just because I don't think this was ever posted here.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow. I really thought some team would throw their MLE at him. 7M per year is a bargain for what he brings.

Second season for Baynes is a reported team option.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I don't know how much of a bargain it is. He doesn't hold up well if he's playing 20+ minutes a game. And if they plan on playing him starter minutes they'll regret that contract before long IMO.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I was hoping Baynes would be back, but was seeing so many rumors he was gone. I really didn't expect him to be back. He was great early in the year, and then maybe it was injuries that he didn't play so well the second half of the year.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
I don't know how much of a bargain it is. He doesn't hold up well if he's playing 20+ minutes a game. And if they plan on playing him starter minutes they'll regret that contract before long IMO.
That's the thing with him, he can't hold up as a starter. He couldn't as a reserve.
But 7m for one year is nothing in this league.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's the thing with him, he can't hold up as a starter. He couldn't as a reserve.
But 7m for one year is nothing in this league.

Agreed but my point was that if they use him like a starter, he won't be able to earn that contract. I like him for 15 minutes a game with the occasional 25 to 30 minute night, but as an everyday player I just don't believe he'll hold up.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
So Baynes is the starter in Toronto. We could not offer him that. He played well here, but Ayton is better.

And just because I don't think this was ever posted here.

My understanding is that Boucher will start with Baynes backing him up. Toronto just got a lot smaller.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Might take awhile. Outside Bogdanovic there really hasn't been any rookie RFA signings and he was the only one not expected to return to his team.
Can’t take too long. First regular season game is in a month!

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Can’t take too long. First regular season game is in a month!

It is really weird having the season start a month after the draft. It will be interesting to see how this rookie class performs having not played in so long and being thrown into the deep end right away.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
It is really weird having the season start a month after the draft. It will be interesting to see how this rookie class performs having not played in so long and being thrown into the deep end right away.

Another reason I wouldn't throw Smith into the fire right away.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

yeah. Especially since it’s only been like a month since the Finals ended.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like the 9 million per year number.

This is really a good signing for the money. Saric solidifies the Suns free agency.

I hope there are no player options.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After signing Crowder, signing Saric was my next greatest concern. The Suns needed him if they were going to push for the playoffs.

The signing may not draw much national attention but it was huge for the Suns and makes the trade down for Cam Johnson look special.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
After signing Crowder, signing Saric was my next greatest concern. The Suns needed him if they were going to push for the playoffs.

The signing may not draw much national attention but it was huge for the Suns and makes the trade down for Cam Johnson look special.
He seemed to be well liked in the locker room as well. I think that number keeps us about 5-6 million below the tax threshold so we can easily use the BLE if we want.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard