Free Agency 2020

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I remember this name on draft night in 2018.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I remember this name on draft night in 2018.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Zhaire Smith and the vaunted unprotected 2021 Miami pick for Mikal Bridges doesn't seem like they overpay it was made out to be. Wasn't that the prevailing media and fan take? Gambo had us taking DiVicenzo had we stayed at our pick.

I wonder how much of this trade and pursuit of Mikal was JJ vs McD.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Zhaire Smith and the vaunted unprotected 2021 Miami pick for Mikal Bridges doesn't seem like they overpay it was made out to be. Wasn't that the prevailing media and fan take? Gambo had us taking DiVicenzo had we stayed at our pick.

It wasn't a McDonough pick as I recall.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Hard to say, the Suns have seemed to have different factions pulling in different directions most of Sarver's tenure. One of the most baffling being the hiring of Luka's coach yet passing on him in the draft.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess all that’s left is to settle with Saric.

I'm hoping the Saric signing gets done and for multiple seasons. Everything should be in place if they can work it out contractually.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah. I believe he wanted SGA, which would've been good as well.

In retrospect, that might have saved McDonough's job. Suns needed a point guard in the worst way.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
In retrospect, that might have saved McDonough's job. Suns needed a point guard in the worst way.

Perhaps, but Philly didn't want to trade that pick until after they saw Zhaire was available at our pick. Had they committed to the swap before, we might have SGA.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Perhaps, but Philly didn't want to trade that pick until after they saw Zhaire was available at our pick. Had they committed to the swap before, we might have SGA.

I'm talking about if the Suns had packaged #16 and the future unprotected Miami pick for Shai.

Of course the Clippers may not have made the trade.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm talking about if the Suns had packaged #16 and the future unprotected Miami pick for Shai.

Of course the Clippers may not have made the trade.

I bet they tried. I think I remember Gambo saying something about the Clippers not willing to move Shai.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I bet they tried. I think I remember Gambo saying something about the Clippers not willing to move Shai.

McD recently said that they were offering that package for either Mikal or SGA but had no takers. It was only when Zhaire was still on the board that the 6ers agreed to the trade.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Which leaves the question, who was going to be the Suns starting point guard?

I thought McDonough had a deal for the Shai pick and it got vetoed.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
McD actually told the story on his podcast a couple of months ago. They originally tried to acquire #10 but Philly said no (McD was kinda vague on who they would of picked but it seemed like SGA). They then made an offer to the Clippers as well but they declined as well. When the Suns were on the clock they were about to make a pick when Philly called and although the Suns were originally targeting SGA they also liked Bridges so they pulled the trigger on the deal.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hadn't heard that.

This is my personal thought as to what happened since McDonough was reportedly not involved in trading for Bridges. I understood this was Sarver's move.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We weren't going to sign Baynes. Maybe some sort of sign and trade but even that was unlikely. Hope all goes well for Baynes in Toronto. He was a pro here.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard