Free Agency 2020

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I am sorry. I would not have made that trade but that was not the basketball reason for the trade. The reason was that Paul is the superior player and he can make our young guys better players and help develop a winning culture. I think his age will prove the undoing of the trade, but free agents was not the issue.

Yeah, I have to agree.

All the people we were going to target with that cap money have signed bigger deals than we could of even afforded. So unless they would have taken less - which is less likely without Paul, I don't think the deal has really hurt us at all.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Do some people not understand how much defenders played off Rubio? They can’t do that to Paul.
For some reason haters of the trade are comparing Paul and Rubio stat for stat.

you think defenders are going to play that much off of Chris Paul?

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
He is is absolutely better than Rubio. He does everything Rubio does just as well, but is a much bigger scoring threat on and off ball.

Yes, he's better...but better enough to leave three gaping holes on the roster that could/would have been filled otherwise? That's the key. I would rather have Oubre, a starting power forward and a legitimate back-up for Booker than an upgrade from Rubio to Paul.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Do some people not understand how much defenders played off Rubio? They can’t do that to Paul.

you think defenders are going to play that much off of Paul?

Good post. Paul’s gravity is going to have a big effect on Ayton’s efficiency.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I know that is the argument - but I'm not sure it has that much validity because Rubio and Paul shot the same from 3 point range last year.

The actual big difference Paul makes is he can get his own shot, and Rubio really could not.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

No. They are going to play that much off of Saric and Bridges while forming a lay-up line at Saric and Cam instead.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
No. They are going to play that much off or Saric and Bridges while forming a lay-up line at Saric and Cam instead.
Don’t be obtuse. That is the worst possible argument you could come up with, and like all your “takes” shows how little you understand basketball.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Yes, he's better...but better enough to leave three gaping holes on the roster that could/would have been filled otherwise? That's the key. I would rather have Oubre, a starting power forward and a legitimate back-up for Booker than an upgrade from Rubio to Paul.

If you haven’t noticed, stars win in the NBA and well-balanced teams without stars tend to lose. The Suns have two legit stars now and one potential star. They also have at least three other legitimate rotation players. I do think they need to add at least one more good rotation guy, and then hope the Carter/Payne/Smith trio can be at least serviceable in the 8-10 roster spots. You don’t need 12 good players in the NBA. You need 2 or 3 stars, 3 or 4 good players, and a couple guys that don’t suck. We are basically there now just about.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Your starting PG has more say in your record in today's NBA than your back up SG does.

We also have options to get backups at this point, but you are just being impatient.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Don’t be obtuse. That is the worst possible argument you could come up with, and like all your “takes” shows how little you understand basketball.

Do you disagree that neither Saric nor Bridges are offensive threats, while neither Saric nor Cam can defend the 4?

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Your starting PG has more say in your record in today's NBA than your back up SG does.

We also have options to get backups at this point, but you are just being impatient.

It won't matter if we still don't have a starting power forward. I would rather play 5 on 5 with Rubio than 4 on 5 with Paul.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
I’m curious to see what kind of offer Baynes gets in this market.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I know that is the argument - but I'm not sure it has that much validity because Rubio and Paul shot the same from 3 point range last year.

The actual big difference Paul makes is he can get his own shot, and Rubio really could not.

you really need to educate yourself on this more; Paul is vastly vastly better from 10-20 feet than Rubio. Paul might be the best shooter in that range in the league. Him or Steph. He’s better than Booker. That will open up the paint in ways that Rubio actively hurt.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
It won't matter if we still don't have a starting power forward. I would rather play 5 on 5 with Rubio than 4 on 5 with Paul.
If we would of kept Rubio and had more salary cap space what PF that has signed would you of been willing to throw similar money at?

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
If you haven’t noticed, stars win in the NBA and well-balanced teams without stars tend to lose. The Suns have two legit stars now and one potential star. They also have at least three other legitimate rotation players. I do think they need to add at least one more good rotation guy, and then hope the Carter/Payne/Smith trio can be at least serviceable in the 8-10 roster spots. You don’t need 12 good players in the NBA. You need 2 or 3 stars, 3 or 4 good players, and a couple guys that don’t suck. We are basically there now just about.

You also can't afford to have a starter who is not at least serviceable as a starter.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
No. They are going to play that much off of Saric and Bridges while forming a lay-up line at Saric and Cam instead.

Saric and Bridges are going to make them pay if they do that. Both shot 36% last year from deep.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
you really need to educate yourself on this more; Paul is vastly vastly better from 10-20 feet than Rubio. Paul might be the best shooter in that range in the league. Him or Steph. He’s better than Booker. That will open up the paint in ways that Rubio actively hurt.

Oh I know Paul is an incredible mid range shooter, possibly the best in the league.

I am simply referring to the spacing at 3 point range which is really what creates space.

Yes, I know he is far more respected than Rubio and that will help create space, but eventually people would be up on Rubio if he kept hitting at 36%

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Nobody here watched Harrell get EMBARRASSED by Denver in the playoffs? That scrub was the worst player in the series on either team in +/- lmao

by this logic you wouldn’t want Kawhi here either right. It’s all black and white right

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph Garrison