Free Agency 2020

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It worries me that they are still using Okobo in their Valley campaign and the fact he is good friends with Book. He is useless.

Have heard nothing about Carter other than he wants to stay.
Man. I am too old to be worried about stuff like this anymore. 2020 has taken the fire out of me.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This helps to explain where the Suns are in regard to free agency after trading for Chris Paul.

From Kellan Olson of Arizona Sports:

ESPN’s Kevin Pelton reports the deal will be finalized on Monday, which is a significant development. That means the Suns are choosing to operate as a team over the cap as opposed to opening up a potential $14-18 million in cap space to make a run at a big-time free agent power forward like Davis Bertans, Danilo Gallinari or Jerami Grant.

With that in mind, Phoenix has the full room midlevel exception of $9.3 million and the biannual exception of $3.6 million at its disposal, along with the ability to go over the cap by re-signing unrestricted free agent Aron Baynes and restricted free agent Dario Saric. The issue is that contenders who are also over the cap are offering those same exceptions, so that’s a very competitive market space.

https://arizonasports.com/story/245...-top-tier-help-pushes-suns-into-win-now-mode/

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also Abdel Nader has a team option so the Suns will decide whether to keep him.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMO, the Suns need to go over the cap to keep Dario Saric.

Maybe Baynes is an option as well.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
This helps to explain where the Suns are in regard to free agency after trading for Chris Paul.

From Kellan Olson of Arizona Sports:

ESPN’s Kevin Pelton reports the deal will be finalized on Monday, which is a significant development. That means the Suns are choosing to operate as a team over the cap as opposed to opening up a potential $14-18 million in cap space to make a run at a big-time free agent power forward like Davis Bertans, Danilo Gallinari or Jerami Grant.

With that in mind, Phoenix has the full room midlevel exception of $9.3 million and the biannual exception of $3.6 million at its disposal, along with the ability to go over the cap by re-signing unrestricted free agent Aron Baynes and restricted free agent Dario Saric. The issue is that contenders who are also over the cap are offering those same exceptions, so that’s a very competitive market space.

https://arizonasports.com/story/245...-top-tier-help-pushes-suns-into-win-now-mode/

Why in the world would they give up the $14-18 million in cap space just so they could get a $9.3 million exception? They could go over the cap to retain Saric either way. Now they can't fill their gaping hole at power forward.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Why in the world would they give up the $14-18 million in cap space just so they could get a $9.3 million exception? They could go over the cap to retain Saric either way. Now they can't fill their gaping hole at power forward.

Saric has a $10.5 million cap hold. If we release him to free up max cap possible, we are unable to sign him unless we use our cap space.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Saric has a $10.5 million cap hold. If we release him to free up max cap, we are unable to sign him unless we use our cap space.

The $14-18 million we would have had factored in Saric's cap hold. We could have used the $14-18 million to sign a starting power forward and then gone over the cap to re-sign Saric.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I think you already know the answer. Hopefully the Suns go over the cap to retain Saric

The Suns will need another point guard like DJ Augustin to give Paul some rest.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
You are wrong, the suns only get to 17-18m by renouncing Saric and Baynes.

They've already renounced Baynes, and I am pretty sure it was just below a max spot if Saric were renounced as well.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I think you already know the answer. Hopefully the Suns go over the cap to retain Saric

The Suns will need another point guard like DJ Augustin to give Paul some rest.

If the answer has anything to do with Sarver, why trade for Paul in the first place? There is no sense in paying $40 million for a point guard while at the same time going with only 4/5 of a starting line-up.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the answer has anything to do with Sarver, why trade for Paul in the first place? There is no sense in paying $40 million for a point guard while at the same time going with only 4/5 of a starting line-up.

This is why I would have gone another direction.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really wish Sarver would just sell the team already...

I'm a bit deflated right now. Hopefully the Suns can split their MLE if it comes to that.

Suns could have at least got a second round pick from OKC.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The $14-18 million we would have had factored in Saric's cap hold. We could have used the $14-18 million to sign a starting power forward and then gone over the cap to re-sign Saric.

I'm calculating $12.8M with Saric's cap hold and that's if we wait to process the trade until after free agency.

http://www.shamsports.com/capulator?id=14296315275fb3046a44542894542744

If we do the trade first, we will have the $10M and $4M exceptions and could also keep Carter, Diallo, and Okobo.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I'm a bit deflated right now. Hopefully the Suns can split their MLE if it comes to that.

Suns could have at least got a second round pick from OKC.

What good does splitting the MLE do? They need a starting power forward and now have no means to get one.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I'm calculating $12.8M with Saric's cap hold and that's if we wait to process the trade until after free agency.

http://www.shamsports.com/capulator?id=14296315275fb3046a44542894542744

If we do the trade first, we will have the $10M and $4M exceptions and could also keep Carter, Diallo, and Okobo.

We can keep Carter either way. Meanwhile, I want Diallo and Okobo gone, as they are dead weight. And we have a much better chance of getting a starting power forward at $12.8 million than we do at the $9.3 million everyone else can offer.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Now reduce the cap by 8mil because the cap stayed the same as last year due to Covid.

The numbers factor in the cap staying the same. The bump to $14-18 million was based on the typical anticipated step-up in the cap.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The numbers factor in the cap staying the same. The bump to $14-18 million was based on the typical anticipated step-up in the cap.

No, the cap shows 117mil in that calculation. It is actually 109,140,000.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
No, the cap shows 117mil in that calculation. It is actually 109,140,000.

If that's the case, then we needed Oubre as a trade chip to get our power forward. Even an upgrade to Stephen Curry or Damian Lillard at point guard does no good if we are still without a legitimate starting power forward.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If that's the case, then we needed Oubre as a trade chip to get our power forward. Even an upgrade to Stephen Curry or Damian Lillard at point guard does no good if we are still without a legitimate starting power forward.

Oubre was always that extra trade chip to get more money much like TJ Warren. That's gone.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson