Franchise tag updating

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Just read this from ROTB. I know @cheesebeef will be proud.

“Wow, this is what I feared and said before: losing this guy in his first year at a new position where he tore up the whole NFL and is in his prime to an aging injury-prone guy at an astronomical salary whose best years and health are in the rear-view mirror (the quintessential SK Man-crush, as it has been every year of his tenure) is an inimitable Steve Keim two-step: one step forward and three steps back, ending in a ruptured Achilles tendon.
Well played, Keim, well played.
Instead of simply manning up, putting your big-boy pants on and saying "See ya!" to PatPete and Larry. You know, eff this guy: I hope Reddick, our first-round pick, goes to the Rams, and makes life a living hell for the Arizona Cardinals. Maybe THAT will finally get him fired.
If you think I was thrilled about the Watt acquisition, guess again. This was exactly what I saw, and now we have to live through it. Because the person with the most power in this billion-dollar enterprise is a toy wind-up soldier trying to march through a wall it has run into.”

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just read this from ROTB. I know @cheesebeef will be proud.

“Wow, this is what I feared and said before: losing this guy in his first year at a new position where he tore up the whole NFL and is in his prime to an aging injury-prone guy at an astronomical salary whose best years and health are in the rear-view mirror (the quintessential SK Man-crush, as it has been every year of his tenure) is an inimitable Steve Keim two-step: one step forward and three steps back, ending in a ruptured Achilles tendon.
Well played, Keim, well played.
Instead of simply manning up, putting your big-boy pants on and saying "See ya!" to PatPete and Larry. You know, eff this guy: I hope Reddick, our first-round pick, goes to the Rams, and makes life a living hell for the Arizona Cardinals. Maybe THAT will finally get him fired.
If you think I was thrilled about the Watt acquisition, guess again. This was exactly what I saw, and now we have to live through it. Because the person with the most power in this billion-dollar enterprise is a toy wind-up soldier trying to march through a wall it has run into.”

I’m not here saying I hope Reddick goes to the Rams and kills us.

I just think we’re making a big mistake for not only our present but future as well, choosing old, breaking down and not as good over guy in prime who just exploded once finally used right.

But hey, if you want to take shots with this “cheesebeef would be proud” garbage, more power to you.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You're right. It's less than likely that he'll be Defensive Player of the Year.

dude hasn’t even made the Pro Bowl in 4 of the last 5 years. But we’re paying him like he has.

worked out great depending on perpetually injured guys over 30 with Gilbert and Alford...

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I’m not here saying I hope Reddick goes to the Rams and kills us.

I just think we’re making a big mistake for not only our present but future as well, choosing old, breaking down and not as good over guy in prime who just exploded once finally used right.

But hey, if you want to take shots with this “cheesebeef would be proud” garbage, more power to you.
Outside of the Rams statement, he was pretty much agreeing with what you were saying. As am I with this whole Watt-Reddick thing.

That wasn’t a shot at all. I’m pretty sure you were smarter than that to realize that or at least I hope you were.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
With production WAYYYY down from his peak.

but keep relying on guys who are consistently injured. It’s worked out great for us in the past.

his peak was “best to ever do it”
he was still a top15 pass rusher last year in awful circumstances. like bizarro world bud dupree

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
dude hasn’t even made the Pro Bowl in 4 of the last 5 years. But we’re paying him like he has.

worked out great depending on perpetually injured guys over 30 with Gilbert and Alford...

Pro Bowl is at best a proxy for quality.

PRP is >>>>>>> Pro Bowl as a heuristic. Basic contextual analysis is also helpful.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Outside of the Rams statement, he was pretty much agreeing with what you were saying. As am I with this whole Watt-Reddick thing.

That wasn’t a shot at all. I’m pretty sure you were smarter than that to realize that or at least I hope you were.

if I read that wrong, my bad.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not franchising Reddick doesn't mean we won't sign him. It means we don't want that giant cap hold. It would limit our flexibility

You are not listening to Keim. He does not want him back. It's clear the way he talks about him when asked.

I don't blame him, paying Reddick 15 million a season would probably go down as Keim's worst move ever, and that is saying something.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I am completely shocked there are really people on here that wanted to tag Reddick.

He has 1 year wonder written all over him.

I would say that’s possible, but unlikely, for the following reasons:
1. He is 26, and entering his physical prime.
2. He only played one year (last) in his natural position
3. He played most of the year without the benefit of another elite pass rusher
4. He has a high pedigree and athleticism

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not franchising Reddick doesn't mean we won't sign him. It means we don't want that giant cap hold. It would limit our flexibility

You are not listening to Keim. He does not want him back. It's clear the way he talks about him when asked.

I don't blame him, paying Reddick 15 million a season would probably go down as Keim's worst move ever, and that is saying something.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I would say that’s possible, but unlikely, for the following reasons:
1. He is 26, and entering his physical prime.
2. He only played one year (last) in his natural position
3. He played most of the year without the benefit of another elite pass rusher
4. He has a high pedigree and athleticism

He's also undersized, and got 5 sacks in one game primarily going against a horrible tackle.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I'm really amazed at all of the people who think Reddick has arrived and is a surefire, must retain asset, when 12 months ago we would have kicked him to the streets.

Contract year peaks are a thing, guys. I understand wanting him back, but this reaction seems way overblown. Hell, I don't even think the guy really wants to be here after nearly 4 years of being considered a bust.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I really wanted to transition tag Reddick. And feel that if a team is going to claim to be "going for it" then you can't lose a young ascending talent like him.

With that being said...... There is a bunch of pass rushing talent about to hit the market and I think they all get paid. I bet Reddick heads back to the east coast.

Pretty disappointing IMO. But from Keim..... Nothing is surprising. We all want him gone for the most part.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Keim is going to want to give Kirk and Isabella one last shot. Lets see how it goes.

I want Linsley at Center although I would love an upgrade at WR as well. I dont think its possible to get both so I'll take the Center.
I disagree. If we are all in we can push a bunch of money into the future. The cap should explode next year assuming things get back to normal with covid which it appears will happen.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
my theory and im sticking to it:

1. This cap year is a terrible year to have to cap somebody. With that entire $ value hitting this years depressed cap figure, capping Reddick would have really limited what else the Cards could do in FA. Only a longer term deal would have worked. However, Reddick's agent knows that as well, so i think it upped the ask on a long term deal (ask Dallas how that works).

2. Given the degree of tampering that goes on, I think its a certainty that Reddick's agent also knows what at least one team is ready to offer. this means Keim knows the value needed to resign Reddick long term is beyond their means.

3. I think the Watt move was in part made knowing that Reddick was likely gone, and that the team needed a difference maker opposite Chandler.

4. So it came down to Reddick, or, Watt + Golden.

i think Reddick is a good, but not great player. I think he is a guy who can give you 9 sacks a year and good pressure. I think he would be best in a 4-3 as a WOLB where he can chase on run downs, and then be a designated pass rusher on 3rd. He was very good as a pass rusher this year, but bad vs. the run. Those gash runs we kept seeing late vs SF and LAR were often right at his side. Part of that is a function of depth level d-lineman the team was down to at that point, but part of it was him as well.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Look at the pass rushers hitting the market, Reddick is about the 5th, or worse, option.

Id rather use the money on upgrading the WR corps and OL.

Which 4 are better than Riddick when considering age? I'm curious which ones you think we should get, considering we already picked up JJ...

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Which 4 are better than Riddick when considering age? I'm curious which ones you think we should get, considering we already picked up JJ...
Shaq Barrett is probably the only one and even he plays with significantly more talent around him than Reddick did.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shaq Barrett is probably the only one and even he plays with significantly more talent around him than Reddick did.

I would agree that Shaq is the better fit, but he should cost more than Reddick anyway...

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
See if Golden would sign for ~3.5 mil and I'll be fine with letting Reddick walk.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really wanted to transition tag Reddick. And feel that if a team is going to claim to be "going for it" then you can't lose a young ascending talent like him.

With that being said...... There is a bunch of pass rushing talent about to hit the market and I think they all get paid. I bet Reddick heads back to the east coast.

Pretty disappointing IMO. But from Keim..... Nothing is surprising. We all want him gone for the most part.

your first statement is what I agree with most. to be "going for it" means to build ON TOP of what was already working. The defense is now losing it's best player from last year and hoping two guys on the wrong side of thirty, one of them constantly injured over the last five years and one of them coming off season ending injury, are going to be the answer. But, yes, we're going to hear people in the media and posters here ringing the "going for it" bell, just like they did that obvious punt season when they held on to the old guard too long with Palmer and crew, while letting Campbell walk and overpaying for crap like Gresham.

I just look at the bucs... THAT is a team that goes for it. They have three MAJOR FA about to hit the market, and from all reports they are franchising one and getting the other two signed before FA starts. That is going for it. Not letting your best player from last year's defense walk who's just coming into the prime of his career.

We are going for publicity and hoping and praying health in our corner... which it rarely has been when dealing with chronically injured players.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Barrett, Dupree, Floyd for sure. Yannick has been more productive and so has Clowney. Even a guy like Judon may draw more interest.
Carl Lawson is out there too.

the best thing Reddick has going for him is his age.

I’d like the Cards to keep him but I’m not giving him a huge contract.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn