Former Penn State coach charged with sexual abuse

OP
OP
Mathew81

Mathew81

Whatever
Reaction score
I didn't think it could get worse.

"I can give you a rumor and I can give you something I think might happen," Madden told John Dennis and Gerry Callahan. "I hear there's a rumor that there will be a more shocking development from the Second Mile Foundation -- and hold on to your stomachs, boys, this is gross, I will use the only language I can -- that Jerry Sandusky and Second Mile were pimping out young boys to rich donors. That was being investigated by two prominent columnists even as I speak."

http://www.nesn.com/2011/11/jerry-s...ung-boys-to-rich-donors-says-mark-madden.html

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score
"My opinion is when Sandusky quit, everybody knew -- not just at Penn State," Madden added. "I think it was a very poorly kept secret about college football in general, and that is why he never coached in college football again and retired at the relatively young age of 55."

:eek:

I can't fathom the implication of this sentence.

CtCardinals78

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

I listen to WEEI every morning on may way to work and heard this interview on my drive in. Explosive stuff Madden put out there today. I usually don't give much credence to rumors, but it's hard to discount anything Madden has to say on this issue. If you guys have the chance listen to the entire interview. Very compelling, PSU is like its own little world and seems to be run by a handful of people. A lot of their actions since this story broke make since now that I have heard this interview. This is going to get a lot uglier. I think it's laughable PSU is planning a "blue out" in support of child abuse victims at Saturday's game. The same PSU that just rioted over the ouster of a man who knew of the abuse and did nothing to stop it. The same PSU that's going to have McQueary coach Saturday. As Cowherd said today " We're all watching you Penn St and we don't like what we see."

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
McQueary has to go also. He actually witnessed the rape and all he did was just tell JoePa about it. Should've reported it to the police, or even try to intervene at least!

TheHopToad

Россия отстой!
Reaction score
IMO this is a good example for the expansion of the death penalty beyond murder. Sanducky needs to go.....to hell.....now!

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
McQueary might be the worst example of what happens to career athletes and their version of reality. Their lives and livelihoods depends on their ability to compete and survive in that make believe arena that they live in. Many people show an ability to follow and look the other way to protect their own careers.

Here was a guy, who was an unpaid grad assistant, looking to get a paying job as a coach. Call it a career making decision made without ethics and morality. In a dog eat dog environment this would be routine. Society needs to change its attitude toward whistle blowers and stoolies ( not meant in a bad way ). Maybe look at them as heroes instead of squealers. This is a societal problem more than an individual one.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
Is it possible McQueary may have been a victim of Sandusky at one point?

From the stories I read I highly doubt this, he was very shocked and didn't know what to do when this happened and called his dad for advice.

I figure he wouldn't have been so shocked if he had it done to him earlier.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
oh my god... please don't let this be true. this story is already vile enough. this would just be... i don't like to believe there's a level of evil like this in our society.

It's just shocking because of the level of power some of these people had and their actions.

The acts themselves aren't shocking after you hear of people capturing people and holding them chained in the back yard making them give birth by themselves.

I'll put it this way.

None of this story made sense to me until I heard these rumors, not taking this farther with the authorities and allowing the guy to stay on campus hinted at something more sinister to me.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
He also doesn't really fit the pattern of what Sandusky went for .... younger boys, impressionable, people who he held authority over .... basically positions where he could build a trust and then betray it by systematically feeling the kid out (horrible choice of words and pun definitely not intended ... just not sure how else to word it)

You could definitely find the trend reading the report

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
McQueary has to go also. He actually witnessed the rape and all he did was just tell JoePa about it. Should've reported it to the police, or even try to intervene at least!

The crazy thing is he's not fired and might not be because he's protected by the state's whistleblower law. Crazy as it sounds because he did in fact report to Paterno and the AD, he is protected from punishment under their whistleblower policy, even though he didn't stop the rape he saw and didn't follow up when nothing happened.

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
And that is the crux of the problem, Russ.

He did the bare minimum under law; obviously legal obligation does not equal moral obligation.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And that is the crux of the problem, Russ.

He did the bare minimum under law; obviously legal obligation does not equal moral obligation.

Yep it's the definition of Law of Unintended Consequences where a guy doesn't do the right thing and yet is apparently legally protected from being fired.

Weird part is he was an unpaid grad assistant when this happened so why is his current job protected, he didn't have it then.

OP
OP
Mathew81

Mathew81

Whatever
Reaction score
Is it possible McQueary may have been a victim of Sandusky at one point?

McQueary has a father. I've read pretty much everything there is to read on this, including the grand jury report, and there's never a mention of any of the victims' fathers. Only mothers.

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
and there's never a mention of any of the victims' fathers. Only mothers.

And that makes sense. His foundation was to help under-privileged youth and those usually come from poor, single mother families. Those mothers were probably too busy trying to stay afloat to notice their sons spending so much time with Sandusky or at his home sleeping over.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Even if true there isn't a lot people outside Penn State could have done. Knowing someone is a creeper and being able to prove it are not the same thing. The fact that he never got another coaching job after Penn State indicates that other teams knew enough to stay away.

Penn State had the evidence and witnesses to put a stop to Sandusky's behavior, yet decided to cover it up instead.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
WOW!

Un-frickin-believable!

The fan is now broke from the amount of crap that is hitting it.

Deadspin is now reporting that the kid's high school is denying that Sandusky recruited the kid. The kid appears to be stickIng to his story.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn