Former NFL LB Scott Fujita: 30 to 50 percent of players smoke pot

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
We live in a society where marijuana is becoming increasingly destigmatized. It has been completely legalized for recreational used in four states, decriminalized in 17 states and the District of Columbia, and allowed for medicinal purposes in 23 states. Even the Texas House Criminal Jurisprudence Committee passed a marijuana legalization bill on Wednesday. However, the NFL still has it on the banned substances list, which is why marijuana arrests or positive tests can still affect players' careers, as it did for Shane Ray and Randy Gregory.

According to former NFL linebacker Scott Fujita, though, NFL teams don't particularly care much about whether players smoke pot, and only really worry about them getting caught. "The way I always saw it, and the way coaches see it, is if you're dumb enough to get caught at the one time of year they're testing, that's a problem," Fujita said on Jim Rome on Showtime. (This would presumably be why Gregory's marijuana issue was considered a problem for many teams, in addition to whatever other personal issues he may have.) "The rest of the year, you've got open season to do whatever you want to do. So just be smart about it."

Asked to estimate the percentage of players in the NFL who smoke, Fujita put the number somewhere between 30 and 50 percent. Back in 2012, former NFL player Lomas Brown stated that at least 50 percent of players smoke pot. Meanwhile, an NFL GM told Bleacher Report's Mike Freeman that 30 to 40 percent of the players in this year's draft smoke regularly, which is "right in line with our league."

mike freeman ✔@mikefreemanNFL
GM to me: "My estimate is 30 to 40 percent of players in this draft class use marijuana regularly. That's right in line with our league."

More from GM: "Publicly teams act shocked, disappointed about marijuana. Privately we know a lot of guys smoke and we're far from shocked."

Last from GM: "In five years, maybe less, we'll have a league that allows smoking pot. It's best recourse. What we're doing now is stupid."

Whether that happens or not remains to be seen, but for now, Fujita says many coaches consider marijuana the lesser of possible evils. "A coach worries that a guy might get popped one too many times and end up missing games," Fujita said. "But I've had coaches tell me they'd rather have guys go home at night, smoke a bowl, sit your ass on the couch, play some X-Box and eat some Cheetos, rather than being out at night, drinking and getting in trouble. I've heard coaches actually say that to me."

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on...-fujita-30-to-50-percent-of-players-smoke-pot

Darkside

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Pretty sure this is true, and I'm surprised the # isn't higher. For me personally, I don't care if they smoke but I get irritated when they get caught. Maybe that's wrong, I don't know. But if you know you're going to get tested and you have the potential to make (or are already making) millions of dollars, you don't mess that up. If you can't refrain, you have a problem, obviously.

That being said, football is a brutal sport, whether people want to believe it or not. I honestly believe it helps with pain, and I honestly believe it helps them unwind from a sport that is very aggressive and brutal. IMO alcohol is a much worse drug.

Pot helps them relax and unwind from a sport that is very gladiatorial in nature. I've only known one professional athlete in my life and he lazed around continuously in his free time. I used to give him crap about it and one day he said he was "conserving his energy". When you're getting paid for combat you can do that. They are like lions in the wild, conserving energy and laying around and trying to unwind and relax, because when it's on they have to go fight another lion to protect their territory and the exertion frankly is ridiculous. Most people can't do it obviously. Over 99% of the population cannot do it.

I'd much rather have our athletes smoking marijuana than drinking. Staying out late at strip clubs and drinking and going home is much more dangerous than a dude conserving his energy and laying around, playing xbox, and munching on snacks.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure this is true, and I'm surprised the # isn't higher. For me personally, I don't care if they smoke but I get irritated when they get caught. Maybe that's wrong, I don't know. But if you know you're going to get tested and you have the potential to make (or are already making) millions of dollars, you don't mess that up. If you can't refrain, you have a problem, obviously.

That being said, football is a brutal sport, whether people want to believe it or not. I honestly believe it helps with pain, and I honestly believe it helps them unwind from a sport that is very aggressive and brutal. IMO alcohol is a much worse drug.

Pot helps them relax and unwind from a sport that is very gladiatorial in nature. I've only known one professional athlete in my life and he lazed around continuously in his free time. I used to give him crap about it and one day he said he was "conserving his energy". When you're getting paid for combat you can do that. They are like lions in the wild, conserving energy and laying around and trying to unwind and relax, because when it's on they have to go fight another lion to protect their territory and the exertion frankly is ridiculous. Most people can't do it obviously. Over 99% of the population cannot do it.

I'd much rather have our athletes smoking marijuana than drinking. Staying out late at strip clubs and drinking and going home is much more dangerous than a dude conserving his energy and laying around, playing xbox, and munching on snacks.

I agree with literally every word your wrote above.

HeavyB3

Unregistered User
Reaction score

+1. Alcohol is far more dangerous all around.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score

'Ere

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I agree with everything posted above for the most part, but has anyone thought about what a NFL game might look like, if more than half the participants are high on Sunday?

That's what keeps the policy in effect is my guess.
And if you're going to go with "these are pro's who wouldn't risk their performance by showing up on game day high.. I would politely remind you of the dozens (if not hundreds) of guys who couldn't refrain long enough to maintain their draft status and/or collect their signing bonus.

HeavyB3

Unregistered User
Reaction score
I agree with everything posted above for the most part, but has anyone thought about what a NFL game might look like, if more than half the participants are high on Sunday?

And if you're going to go with "these are pro's who wouldn't risk their performance by showing up on game day high.. I would politely remind you of the dozens (if not hundreds) of guys who couldn't refrain long enough to maintain their draft status and/or collect their signing bonus.

Most people I know who do it would never do it before going to work. I'd imagine most players would take that stance

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Most people I know who do it would never do it before going to work. I'd imagine most players would take that stance

Right, you mean the guys who can't take a week or two off to secure millions, would easily be able to refrain on gameday if it was a free for all?

HeavyB3

Unregistered User
Reaction score
Right, you mean the guys who can't take a week or two off to secure millions, would easily be able to refrain on gameday if it was a free for all?

What makes you think they couldn't? Do you assume none of them have any sort of ability to control themselves? Why would they be any different than any normal member of society? Alcohol isn't a banned substance but you don't see them getting lit up drunk before the game. Why aren't they all doing that?

Even if a guy like Dwash is getting busted for testing positive, you don't have any of the details on when he chose to smoke. It could have been only on weekends or only at night for all we know. I genuinely think that the vast majority of the guys care a great deal about their performance on the field. They aren't going to waste the countless hours they spend training being glossy eyed and baked over while bumbling through a football game.

I think you've chosen the slippery slope argument, if they stop caring about weed guys will be taking bong hits on the sidelines and rolling joints at halftime. The announcers will start saying "Brady back to pass, puffs first, then passes to his right for the touchdown" and touchdown celebrations will include smoke rings and putting out the roach on the defenders arm. Come on.

OP
OP
sunsfan88

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

I agree with everything. And as for the bolded, why do they even test for weed? IMO players should be allowed to smoke pot for all the reasons you mentioned plus it being actually safer than alcohol which is allowed and EVEN PROMOTED by the NFL. Otherwise, out law alcohol as well!

Sure don't advertise weed and players shouldn't be allowed to post anything about it on social media or anything like that don't freaking test these guys on something that's legal in various states in the nation.

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
What makes you think they couldn't? Do you assume none of them have any sort of ability to control themselves? Why would they be any different than any normal member of society? Alcohol isn't a banned substance but you don't see them getting lit up drunk before the game. Why aren't they all doing that?

Even if a guy like Dwash is getting busted for testing positive, you don't have any of the details on when he chose to smoke. It could have been only on weekends or only at night for all we know. I genuinely think that the vast majority of the guys care a great deal about their performance on the field. They aren't going to waste the countless hours they spend training being glossy eyed and baked over while bumbling through a football game.

I think you've chosen the slippery slope argument, if they stop caring about weed guys will be taking bong hits on the sidelines and rolling joints at halftime. The announcers will start saying "Brady back to pass, puffs first, then passes to his right for the touchdown" and touchdown celebrations will include smoke rings and putting out the roach on the defenders arm. Come on.

My daughter has been dating a Pac 12 football player for 2 1/2 years.
The stories I hear from him, lead me to believe that more players get stoned DAILY than you might want to believe.

However your Cheech and Chong description of how a game might look if they lifted the testing was somewhat humorous.

jeeperaz

Rookie
Reaction score
It pisses me off that we've now lost Dwash to over 20 games because of this stupid league mentality.

RonF

Per Ardua Ad Astra
Reaction score
The Golden Rule in football or any other sport or place of employment, if you want their gold you go by their rules. Many today feel they don't have to follow any rule they disagree with, just ask me, I've paid my share of speeding tickets over my lifetime.

It pisses me off that we've now lost Dwash to over 20 games because of this stupid league mentality. Is the league stupid or is Dwash stupid? I'll let the rest of you decide.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
The stories I hear from him, lead me to believe that more players get stoned DAILY than you might want to believe.

However your Cheech and Chong description of how a game might look if they lifted the testing was somewhat humorous.

I am far more concerned with the people that take certain "prescription drugs" every day before going to work to be honest.

Also, when you hear someone say they smoke daily, I am pretty sure they mean every night, not in the morning. Not to many, if any, pot smokers that I know who smoke first thing in the morning.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
When I suggested that I thought that was about the % of guys that tested positive at the combine, I was told that I was nuts.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score

lol.

Because they would get high before a game and be too stoned to play or something?

Give me a break.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score

FYI weed testing is only for two months. If players are going to smoke prior to the game, they already are.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Lots of people get stoned daily, doesnt mean you smoke right before you go under the lights. And if you do, so what? beyond that, it doesnt last that long especially if you are exercising. Are they going to have a bong in their locker to get high again at halftime?

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am far more concerned with the people that take certain "prescription drugs" every day before going to work to be honest.

Also, when you hear someone say they smoke daily, I am pretty sure they mean every night, not in the morning. Not to many, if any, pot smokers that I know who smoke first thing in the morning.

Getting high first thing in the morning makes you lazy the entire day, I still make that mistake sometimes on the weekend.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

oh my lord... DAILY?! IN COLLEGE?!?!?

LOL... people's perception of pot and it's effects crack me up to no end.

Reaction score

Only on the weekends. :D

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard