Former Bears safety Duerson found dead

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Sad. Part of that first generation of NFL players I watched.

RedViper

Registered
Reaction score
RIP. I hate stories like these. Way too many of these guys leave us way too early.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
They said he sent instructions via text to have his brain donated to see it.

Sad. Very sad. Seems this will be a big issue going forward. It was already trending that way, now it will probably be on the front burner. This might impact the 18 game season proposal, and be something the players use for leverage. With all the money involved its a travesty that the NFL is barely doing anything about helmets. They should have some scientists looking into all sorts of prototype helmets. The ones I've seen seem to suffer from groupthink as they only make minor changes with limited results. The helmets should have a completely different look most likely, not minor tweaks that still leave side areas vulnerable.

The only solace any of us could take is that his death really might change things and save a few extra lives down the road, as well as raise the quality of life for current and future nfl players.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
They said he sent instructions via text to have his brain donated to see it.

Sad. Very sad. Seems this will be a big issue going forward. It was already trending that way, now it will probably be on the front burner. This might impact the 18 game season proposal, and be something the players use for leverage. With all the money involved its a travesty that the NFL is barely doing anything about helmets. They should have some scientists looking into all sorts of prototype helmets. The ones I've seen seem to suffer from groupthink as they only make minor changes with limited results. The helmets should have a completely different look most likely, not minor tweaks that still leave side areas vulnerable.

The only solace any of us could take is that his death really might change things and save a few extra lives down the road, as well as raise the quality of life for current and future nfl players.

Helmets aren't going to lessen the concussion risk much. It's simple physics, the brain is resting in a fluid filled sac, so when the head moves at a high rate of speed and stops suddenly, the brain slams against the skull.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Helmets aren't going to lessen the concussion risk much. It's simple physics, the brain is resting in a fluid filled sac, so when the head moves at a high rate of speed and stops suddenly, the brain slams against the skull.

Yep, but it is magnified with blows to the head with the helmets. As Ditka said earlier this year, removing the facemask or going back to old school helmets would probably help the situation.

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
Yet another tragic story with a terrible ending as a result of waaaayyyyyyy too many head hits and concussions sufferred over a career. God bless these warriors who laid it all on the line, week after week, (playing hurt), even while suspecting that they were never going to be right after that, but never suspecting that it would lead to what it ultimately did. May he finally be free of the pain and misery that became his life.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The sides of the helmets have been shown to be the weak link, and where most of the concussion come from. (no statistics, just from memory of all the talk)

Plus there is also the slow down phase. How fast the brain goes forward is dictated by the stopping power *speed* on the other end. Slowing it down works, think of a gymnastic mat. That's why some people like Don Bebe have that cushion on the outside.

My point being, that our current helmets probably look FAR differently from the IDEAL ones. But when they 'think' of a new one, they use the old one (and all its flaws) as the base model.

That's groupthink, and someone needs to get through some thick skulls to address it.

But yes, at some point the body has limits. But I think we can take a step or two back, and I do like what the league does now with concussions, which coupled with a better helmet would probably do a reasonable job of stopping this.

Plus whatever the NFL sets as standard, the industry will. Meaning the pop warner/high school kids playing now (who also get concussions....who then might get more in college...then in pros) will get better equipment and have more 'billy bob' hits left on the meter.

The NFL MUST protect it's future employees, and it can do that by changing the dynamic of the helmet. This is a private business. But at some point, private businesses tend to screw up. If they don't want the gov't getting involved, then they should get to work on this in earnest. They need to quit nickel and dime-ing it. It's quite obvious they haven't done what they should, and they still have a chance. But this is a real problem, and if the NFL (see business) doesn't do what it needs to, and this IS a need, then govt MUST come in. NFL....you are on the clock.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
As much as I love watching football, I refuse to let my youngest son play the game. He's too good of an athlete & football is too high a risk. I know he can get hurt playing other sports, but not to the same extent as football. Football need to go back to the wrap & tackle approach as opposed to the shot out of a cannon approach. Unfortunately, that won't happen. So I see football eventually going the path that boxing has gone, which is downhill.

Early

Registered
Reaction score
The sides of the helmets have been shown to be the weak link, and where most of the concussion come from. (no statistics, just from memory of all the talk)

Plus there is also the slow down phase. How fast the brain goes forward is dictated by the stopping power *speed* on the other end. Slowing it down works, think of a gymnastic mat. That's why some people like Don Bebe have that cushion on the outside.

My point being, that our current helmets probably look FAR differently from the IDEAL ones. But when they 'think' of a new one, they use the old one (and all its flaws) as the base model.

That's groupthink, and someone needs to get through some thick skulls to address it.

But yes, at some point the body has limits. But I think we can take a step or two back, and I do like what the league does now with concussions, which coupled with a better helmet would probably do a reasonable job of stopping this.

Plus whatever the NFL sets as standard, the industry will. Meaning the pop warner/high school kids playing now (who also get concussions....who then might get more in college...then in pros) will get better equipment and have more 'billy bob' hits left on the meter.

The NFL MUST protect it's future employees, and it can do that by changing the dynamic of the helmet. This is a private business. But at some point, private businesses tend to screw up. If they don't want the gov't getting involved, then they should get to work on this in earnest. They need to quit nickel and dime-ing it. It's quite obvious they haven't done what they should, and they still have a chance. But this is a real problem, and if the NFL (see business) doesn't do what it needs to, and this IS a need, then govt MUST come in. NFL....you are on the clock.

I agree in some of that, but I also think that this i way more complex than just making better helmets. Why do they tackle so soft in rugby, there are very few collisions and when they occur, it's mostly lower body and not heads. It's because it's deep into players mind, that you die if you go with the head first. So nobody does that.

In NFL, players feel very well protected, and that's why they are able to put the whole body into collisions, even their head.

If you make even better helmets, so that players feel even more safe, wouldn't you risk of many more serious collisions involving use of helmets much more? Collisions are more frequent with increased safety. That's so logical, although i don't have a number that proves it.

It is quiet ironic that you speak of safety, when it's exactly the safety part and the "safety" behind the helmet, that makes players feel too comfortable and makes them commit these mistakes on the field.

The game is just as the game has been for more than 60 years. It's dangerous. So are many other sports. Winter olympics. Hockey. Boxing. etc etc. Players that play the game know that, they know what they have signed up for. So it's not a major surprise for anyone. A fraction of them, will have terrible injuries when they retire. It happens in many other sports as well, although to a lesser degree. There is just no way you can ban all sports where these nasty injuries occur, because there would almost be no sports left to watch.

I think Goodell is doing a good job protecting the players and still saving the sport. It's those head collisions that are the problem, and giving big fines is good idea(they should be much bigger though to be more effective and more in the mind of players). Players should wrap up more and use their mid and lower body much more than their helmets to tackle.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph Garrison