For draft talk reference

Which player would you prefer with the #4 pick in the draft?

• Total voters

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
He’s a once in a decade prospect. Like Fitz and Andrew Luck and Joe Thomas.

Who knows what kind of player they’ll be.
That's fine and I'd agree that he is a fantastic prospect.

But I've also seen the term "generational talent at WR" thrown around as well. That's a lot to heap onto a kid who hasn't played a down in the league yet. For me a generational talent is someone who comes around once in a lifetime and is pretty much better than everyone else on the field. To me a generational talent at WR is Justin Jefferson and it would be pretty hard to match his numbers over the last four years.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

But I've also seen the term "generational talent at WR" thrown around as well. That's a lot to heap onto a kid who hasn't played a down in the league yet. For me a generational talent is someone who comes around once in a lifetime and is pretty much better than everyone else on the field. To me a generational talent at WR is Justin Jefferson and it would be pretty hard to match his numbers over the last four years.
When I hear the accolades about MHJ I think he is already polished.
No questions about hands, speed, route running, football I.q., recognizing zones, speed and attitude.
I see no reason to not take him if he is there. It screams like a smartest man in the room move.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

Lots of people talking past each other.

Chase will get close to or exceed Jefferson’s numbers. Tyreek must be pretty close.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score

Did somebody call MHJ a guaranteed NFL superstar because if they did I missed it.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Petzing figured out pretty quick what we were good at doing though, and to his credit he featured that in our game plans.

He didn't try to use 4 wide outs all the time like Kliff the offensive genius.

I have no doubt Petzing will make good use of him. Just not in the same way as the guys I mentioned who are either McVay, or from the McVay tree.

Which is why I don't think MHJ has a fire rookie season here. He doesn't have the same combo of QB and passing game OC those other guys had. He can still have a 1000 yard year though.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

We should have a poll on the most used term. I appreciate you pointing out what the term actually means. No WR in this draft falls under that definition.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
We should have a poll on the most used term. I appreciate you pointing out what the term actually means. No WR in this draft falls under that definition.
Eh, MHJ does have generational talent. Pretty much every scout I've read has said that or some similar comment.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Like which box is he not ticking for people who don't consider him a generational prospect? Measurables? Check. Pedigree? Check. Stats? Check.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Like which box is he not ticking for people who don't consider him a generational prospect? Measurables? Check. Pedigree? Check. Stats? Check.

Honest question and maybe only OSU fans will know... is he a capable/willing blocker? Way down the list of what's important for your WR1, but I'm genuinely curious.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I think since I've been watching there have been three true generational prospects: Keyshawn Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald, and Calvin Johnson. If you look at that list, Marvin Harrison Jr. fits neatly onto that list. Only Keyshawn didn't fully meet expectations, but he was still a pretty good receiver and played a long time.

There are others that are pretty close like AJ Green, Andre Johnson, and Jamar Chase, guys that were pretty much guaranteed to be really good.

My caveat is that there were other receivers taken later that appeared to be really good fits that worked out big time. Justin Jefferson is the latest example.

There are also the second round guys that looked like they could become number ones but fell for a number of reasons like AJ Brown, DK, Davante Adams, etc.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Honest question and maybe only OSU fans will know... is he a capable/willing blocker? Way down the list of what's important for your WR1, but I'm genuinely curious.
We don’t have a Wr that we could consider a willing or good blocker. That’s why I believe we let a guy like Brown walk away and we sign a bigger Wr in free agency that IS willing to block.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think since I've been watching there have been three true generational prospects: Keyshawn Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald, and Calvin Johnson. If you look at that list, Marvin Harrison Jr. fits neatly onto that list. Only Keyshawn didn't fully meet expectations, but he was still a pretty good receiver and played a long time.

There are others that are pretty close like AJ Green, Andre Johnson, and Jamar Chase, guys that were pretty much guaranteed to be really good.

My caveat is that there were other receivers taken later that appeared to be really good fits that worked out big time. Justin Jefferson is the latest example.

There are also the second round guys that looked like they could become number ones but fell for a number of reasons like AJ Brown, DK, Davante Adams, etc.
We need to prepare outselves and like it or not , trust Monti’s plan. Maybe he will see Odunze as a better fit because he is a very good blocker. Maybe he likes Nabers because his big play YAC.

Personally, MHJ bring little doubt. He would be our Corvette. However, there are several free agent Wr’s that would be a nice compliment on this offense.
Josh Reynolds, DJ Chark, Noah Brown are a few examples that I don’t think would break the bank.

Now if we are really fortunate and Wilson develops we’d have something special.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
We need to prepare outselves and like it or not , trust Monti’s plan. Maybe he will see Odunze as a better fit because he is a very good blocker. Maybe he likes Nabers because his big play YAC.
And this could be true. From watching Murray for years now, I think that a 50/50 ball guy is the most important missing ingredient now.

I've toyed with the concept of adding a 50/50 guy and later in the draft adding a YAC guy like McCorley in round three.
Personally, MHJ bring little doubt. He would be our Corvette. However, there are several free agent Wr’s that would be a nice compliment on this offense.
Josh Reynolds, DJ Chark, Noah Brown are a few examples that I don’t think would break the bank.
Those guys all have warta though. I wouldn't touch Chark he hasn't been dependable. Brown and Reynolds are occasionally really productive. My betting money is on Hollywood Brown coming back on a short term deal.
Now if we are really fortunate and Wilson develops we’d have something special.
My ideal would be MHJ, McCorley, Wilson, and Tee Higgins. That looks more like an NBA back court than a typical WR room. I was initially against Higgins, but I've warmed to the idea once I thought about how successful Murray was with Hopkins and Green.

Higgins would like take an over pay to bring here, but having all of that size at WR would really help Murray.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Folks need to stop labeling these dudes as "generational talents". Crazy amount of pressure on a kid who didn't even ask for it.
Lol, professional athletes and their kids are built differently. You don't think a kid like MHJ didn't have pressure coming out of the womb?

I'm far less worried about a guy like MHJ handling pressure/fame than Joe Blow off of the street who never had anything and now suddenly has everything. That's another reason MHJ is a safer pick.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Lol, professional athletes and their kids are built differently.
Word. They also have a heart and a brain. I could be wrong, but I don’t think they’re emotionless robots.
You don't think a kid like MHJ didn't have pressure coming out of the womb?
I think everybody in the world has dealt with pressure while also acknowledging standards that can be reached.
I'm far less worried about a guy like MHJ handling pressure/fame than Joe Blow off of the street who never had anything and now suddenly has everything. That's another reason MHJ is a safer pick.
My post really wasn’t about MHJR & more so about prospects in general. S/o to Trevor Lawrence, Jadeveon Clowney, & to a certain degree, Andrew Luck.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Word. They also have a heart and a brain. I could be wrong, but I don’t think they’re emotionless robots.
Ha, never said they were. But they're a hell of a lot better prepared to deal with outsized expectations than you're average guy. That's worth something, and another reason that MHJ is a safer pick to me.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Ha, never said they were. But they're a hell of a lot better prepared to deal with outsized expectations than you're average guy. That's worth something, and another reason that MHJ is a safer pick to me.
I dunno. I think it's pretty marginal. Most every NFL player has been the best athlete on every field they've been on and dealt with high expectations at every level.

Not even Owen Pappoe is a "regular guy." You have to be built different to put in the work to make it in the NFL.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson