For draft talk reference

Which player would you prefer with the #4 pick in the draft?

• Total voters

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Correct. However, we could not take advantage of home run hits while having this running game.
I’m going to beat you to the punch because I know your going to claim Kyler’s inability with the deep ball.
But if your wr can’t get separation downfield, lacks the ability to fight for the 50/50 balls AND lack the YAC it is obvious the glaring need we have.

We have seen Kyler repeatedly miss open receivers downfield the last 2 years.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We have seen Kyler repeatedly miss open receivers downfield the last 2 years.
So by #Britlogic, especially after reading your earlier post, we shouldn’t draft a WR point blank period.

Matter fact, we shouldn’t draft a receiving weapon in general.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So by #Britlogic, especially after reading your earlier post, we shouldn’t draft a WR point blank period.

I guess. he wants athletic receivers with tentacles and super catching radius in order to catch Murray throws downfield

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
All of this.

This is just a case of folks starting to overthink themselves. Is there a universe where Alt has a better career than MHJ? Sure. I just don’t think it’s likely.

Would I also be more than fine with Alt ONLY if MHJ is already gone? Absolutely.

However, if we get MHJ, I believe Kingsley out of BYU would be a great pick with our 2nd or 3rd pick. Move him back to RT & Paris to LT & I think that would be excellent.
Yeah...the OT class looks pretty good if you operate under the assumption that PJJ can flip to the LT spot and be just fine. Solid players at the end of round 1 and top of round 2. Especially when you consider Beachum is still hanging around the roster. No need for a 2nd rounder to have to start day 1.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I didn't say we shouldn't draft him.

But I think people are going to be disappointed if they expect MHJ to have a Jefferson/Chase/Nakua type rookie season here.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
But I think people are going to be disappointed if they expect MHJ to have a Jefferson/Chase/Nakua type rookie season here.

I think this is a fair point. We are all assuming he is going to come in and have 1,500 yards and 10 td's in year 1.

It's not like people are saying he is the #1 WR in the draft - they are saying he might be the best WR to come out since Calvin Johnson.

Calvin Johnson rookie year (15 games) - 750 yards and 4 td's.
Larry Fitzgerald rookie year (16 game) - 780 yards and 8 td's.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I think this is a fair point. We are all assuming he is going to come in and have 1,500 yards and 10 td's in year 1.

It's not like people are saying he is the #1 WR in the draft - they are saying he might be the best WR to come out since Calvin Johnson.

Calvin Johnson rookie year (15 games) - 750 yards and 4 td's.
Larry Fitzgerald rookie year (16 game) - 780 yards and 8 td's.
Calvin Johnson entered the league in 2007. Larry Fitzgerald in 2004. I don't know how meaningful comparisons to the NFL from 20 and 17 years ago really is.

I think that the Cards offense will be lower-volume than the Bengals/Vikes/Rams. Wouldn't be surprised to see MHJ as a Card put up 64/916/5 that the Slim Reaper put up his rookie year. It also depends on whom he's competing with for targets.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Calvin Johnson entered the league in 2007. Larry Fitzgerald in 2004. I don't know how meaningful comparisons to the NFL from 20 and 17 years ago really is.

I think that the Cards offense will be lower-volume than the Bengals/Vikes/Rams. Wouldn't be surprised to see MHJ as a Card put up 64/916/5 that the Slim Reaper put up his rookie year. It also depends on whom he's competing with for targets.

Larry had 110 targets and CJ had 93 vs Slim Reaper's 104 - all rookie seasons.

Trey McBride had 106 targets and Hollywood had 101 - this year.

If MHJ isn't going to have the impact of a Chase/Jefferson/etc - is he truly "generational"?

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Larry had 110 targets and CJ had 93 vs Slim Reaper's 104 - all rookie seasons.

Trey McBride had 106 targets and Hollywood had 101 - this year.

If MHJ isn't going to have the impact of a Chase/Jefferson/etc - is he truly "generational"?
If his career were only one season, probably not. It's a good thing you don't draft a prospect for only one year, though, right?

If we can't agree that NFL offenses and game are different than they were in the mid-oughts, we can't really have a conversation on this.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
If we can't agree that NFL offenses and game are different than they were in the mid-oughts, we can't really have a conversation on this.

Agreed. Offenses have changed and we should expect someone "generational" to have a bigger impact today. Certainly bigger than an undersized WR2 in Slim Reaper.

However, you missed the original point from BirtCard and the point of my response (below).

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Yeah...the OT class looks pretty good if you operate under the assumption that PJJ can flip to the LT spot and be just fine. Solid players at the end of round 1 and top of round 2. Especially when you consider Beachum is still hanging around the roster. No need for a 2nd rounder to have to start day 1.
Yeah, expending more ultra-premium assets on OT when we're already ok at the position (and have so many other glaring holes) would be an interesting move.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
I guess. I don't know why you're pointing this at me?

PJJ gets a grade of "Met expectations" from me. Hope he improves and surpasses expectations as his career goes on.

Not directed at you K9 per se...I probably need to be more specific.

Just players in general (see PJJ, Ojulari, McBride, etc). Theme as of late for me.

Edit - the Will Anderson vs PJJ debate is another example. We don't draft a prospect for 1 year.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

I’m not sure who Calvin was splitting targets with but Fitz was dealing with Anquan Boldin.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Because Kyler is a lesser QB (so far) and we run a heavy run scheme. We also don't have an OC/HC that's shown he's particularly creative in the passing game like Taylor, McConnell and McVay.

And also like 1 in 10 top 10 WRs have those kinds of seasons.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
we would get a lot of Levi Brown/ AP retrospectives

as a hypothetical-- and assuming you know at the time how the careers would play out: you have a choice between Joe Thomas and AJ Green. Whats your choice?

I’d go Joe Thomas
I think everybody would. If the choice is Fitzgerald or Lane Johnson, we know who everyone would pick too.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Still not writing the possibility of drafting Nabers if MHJ is gone.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In my opinion, the better poll would be:

What would you do if MHJ is gone at 4?
Draft player A, B, C, D, or Trade Down

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
At four? Yo... I dunno bruh. I admit that I haven't done the work, but I think Monti would trade down quite a bit first.
Nabers is also special dawg. He’s really in the same tier with Ja’Marr as a prospect to me. It just so happens in the same class that there’s a guy who’s a better prospect than both.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Because Kyler is a lesser QB (so far) and we run a heavy run scheme. We also don't have an OC/HC that's shown he's particularly creative in the passing game like Taylor, McConnell and McVay.

And also like 1 in 10 top 10 WRs have those kinds of seasons.

Petzing figured out pretty quick what we were good at doing though, and to his credit he featured that in our game plans.

He didn't try to use 4 wide outs all the time like Kliff the offensive genius.