For draft talk reference

Which player would you prefer with the #4 pick in the draft?

• Total voters

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I dunno. I think it's pretty marginal. Most every NFL player has been the best athlete on every field they've been on and dealt with high expectations at every level.

Not even Owen Pappoe is a "regular guy." You have to be built different to put in the work to make it in the NFL.
Ok, so you're saying there is no appreciable difference being a legacy? Seeing all these familiar names throughout the years would seem to indicate otherwise, but who knows!

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
That's fine and I'd agree that he is a fantastic prospect.

But I've also seen the term "generational talent at WR" thrown around as well. That's a lot to heap onto a kid who hasn't played a down in the league yet. For me a generational talent is someone who comes around once in a lifetime and is pretty much better than everyone else on the field. To me a generational talent at WR is Justin Jefferson and it would be pretty hard to match his numbers over the last four years.
IMO, these are two different things. MHJ is a cleaner prospect than Justin Jefferson but that doesn't mean he will be a better player. It doesn't work like that when it comes to scouting or projecting players.

The "generational" designation is played out IMO especially in relation to talent. It is like Bruce Feldman's freak list every year. It highlights athleticism, but that is only one part of a player. Nothing about Mahomes is "generational". Nothing about Jefferson is "generational". Fitzgerald was not "generational". Calvin Johnson was. Randy Moss was. Saquan Barkley arguably was. Size and speed outliers are "generational" but that doesn't mean they will be Hall of Famers.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Ok, so you're saying there is no appreciable difference being a legacy? Seeing all these familiar names throughout the years would seem to indicate otherwise, but who knows!

There's tons of differences in being a legacy. Some of them are positive influences, some of them are negative influences. I don't think there's an appreciable or net benefit in simply being a legacy.

I think you see more familiar names because (1) the names are familiar, (2) legacies have more access to the NFL training and development pipeline so more likely to go to a big school, etc., and (3) a generation of players are entering the league who are the children of players that we knew when the NFL was exploding in popularity due to Madden, cable, etc.

Nothing about Mahomes is "generational". Nothing about Jefferson is "generational". Fitzgerald was not "generational". Calvin Johnson was. Randy Moss was. Saquan Barkley arguably was. Size and speed outliers are "generational" but that doesn't mean they will be Hall of Famers.

Are you talking about them as prospects, or as players?

It's hard to divorce this from other trends that we don't notice. I didn't remember that Fitzs was picked #3 overall, but Charles Rogers (LOL) and Andre Johnson were drafted 2 and 3 the year before.

Before Ja'Marr Chase (2021), a wideout hadn't been selected in the top five since Corey Davis (2017). Corey Davis was the third wideout selected in the top five between 2014 and 2017 (Sammy Watkins and Amari Cooper).

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And this could be true. From watching Murray for years now, I think that a 50/50 ball guy is the most important missing ingredient now.

I've toyed with the concept of adding a 50/50 guy and later in the draft adding a YAC guy like McCorley in round three.

Those guys all have warta though. I wouldn't touch Chark he hasn't been dependable. Brown and Reynolds are occasionally really productive. My betting money is on Hollywood Brown coming back on a short term deal.

My ideal would be MHJ, McCorley, Wilson, and Tee Higgins. That looks more like an NBA back court than a typical WR room. I was initially against Higgins, but I've warmed to the idea once I thought about how successful Murray was with Hopkins and Green.

Higgins would like take an over pay to bring here, but having all of that size at WR would really help Murray.
The thing that I wonder about Higgins is he a true #1? Does Chase draw the top coverage.

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
There's tons of differences in being a legacy. Some of them are positive influences, some of them are negative influences. I don't think there's an appreciable or net benefit in simply being a legacy.

I think you see more familiar names because (1) the names are familiar, (2) legacies have more access to the NFL training and development pipeline so more likely to go to a big school, etc., and (3) a generation of players are entering the league who are the children of players that we knew when the NFL was exploding in popularity due to Madden, cable, etc.

Are you talking about them as prospects, or as players?

It's hard to divorce this from other trends that we don't notice. I didn't remember that Fitzs was picked #3 overall, but Charles Rogers (LOL) and Andre Johnson were drafted 2 and 3 the year before.

Before Ja'Marr Chase (2021), a wideout hadn't been selected in the top five since Corey Davis (2017). Corey Davis was the third wideout selected in the top five between 2014 and 2017 (Sammy Watkins and Amari Cooper).
Prospects

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Prospects
Got it. Fitz wasn't a generational prospect, but he was an exceptionally clean one. Really similar to MHJ.

I was at a football coaching clinic in the Bay Area maybe 15 years ago. Walt Harris (former coach at Pitt and Stanford) was a speaker there. The way he talked about Fitz at the time was in absolutely reverent terms.

Wade Phillips was also there talking about the basics of the 3-4 defense. It was amazing.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
The thing that I wonder about Higgins is he a true #1? Does Chase draw the top coverage.
It's a fair question, but his type of skill set is what the Cardinals need. I'd feel more confident in a WR grouping of Higgins, Wilson, Dortch, and Moore going into the draft. That means that even if you miss out on MHJ, you could add a Franklin or Legette in round two and feel pretty good about Kyler's weapons.

McBride's emergence changes things a bit because that means Murray can get some reliable, chain moving throws. I think Wilson can provide some too. The Cardinals need a bigger play guy though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard