For draft talk reference

Which player would you prefer with the #4 pick in the draft?

• Total voters

Cardiac77

Reaction score
Who? Board experts have laid out a case there won't be good vet WRs available. We need two of 'em, and not depth guys. We need a #1 and a #2. MHJ should be the pick.
I would look for an AJ Brown kind of trade to get a #1 wr, maybe someone like Diggs or Jefferson looking for a new situation. Don’t get me wrong though I do love MHJ and wouldn’t be mad at all if we stayed and drafted him at 4. In my perfect world we drop down a few picks, grab Alt and get a few more picks. I agree though that’s it’s not a great year for FA wr. My 2 cents anyway.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I would look for an AJ Brown kind of trade to get a #1 wr, maybe someone like Diggs or Jefferson looking for a new situation. Don’t get me wrong though I do love MHJ and wouldn’t be mad at all if we stayed and drafted him at 4. In my perfect world we drop down a few picks, grab Alt and get a few more picks. I agree though that’s it’s not a great year for FA wr. My 2 cents anyway.
With few defensive stalwarts in this draft it appears both elite OTs will be gone within 6-7 picks. Trading down is not a good option this year I’m afraid.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I’ve not heard him mentioned in the stratosphere
I haven't either, but it's hard to project being the greatest OT in 30 years from a 22-year old, also. I think the difference between the eighth-best LT and the 18th-best LT is pretty negligible in the NFL. That's why opinions on The Captain have been pretty wide and everyone's kinda right.

If Alt or Fashnau project in the class of a Laremy Tunsil, that's probably a quantum step up from PJJ's ceiling. I think PJJ will be just fine at either tackle position, but not much better.

We run the ball a lot, and when we do pass tight ends feature heavily.
We were passing to WRs a lot early in the season. I think this is recentcy bias driven by the fact that at the end of the year our WR corps was a hollowed out shell.

MHJ will be the best player there if still available but this team and scheme may be better served by a top OT.
Probably not, even if we sign Hollywood.

Watching the Browns offense is also a good reason to draft MHJ since Petzing comes from that Stefanski tree. Cooper is a WR2 & they can’t beat serious teams just by running the ball & throwing to Njoku all game. Need a dominant X.
This is fake news. He's not in the class of Justin Jefferson and A.J. Brown, but he's better than Hollywood Brown by no small measure. This board always gets caught up dickering about edge cases; I'd say Cooper is like the 25th-best WR in the NFL. Eight seasons over 1000 yards, never played less than 14 games in a year, seven-time Pro Bowler.

MHJ will open up this offense in more ways than one. Both the passing AND running game.
Totally agree.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Think of it this way: Good teams will shut our run down because they'll be able to handle our passing game with only one true threat in McBride. We will have to beat a lot of good teams if we want to compete. You add MHJ, and teams can't just sell out on the run because now we have a home run threat.

We already played plenty of good teams who didn't shut the run down :shrug:

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I voted MHJ since the hype has him rated so high

A real star type player that can turn a game in our favor

That along with his character makes him a perfect fit
Well
How much better though? It wasn’t like they were the GSOT when all those guys were healthy in the early part of the season.

We need an X. Running is great & having a great TE is even greater, but we can’t be SB contenders by play like it’s 1975 still.

MHJ will open up this offense in more ways than one. Both the passing AND running game.
with Nick Chubb carrying the rock I’m guessing a lot better.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Watching the Browns offense is also a good reason to draft MHJ since Petzing comes from that Stefanski tree. Cooper is a WR2 & they can’t beat serious teams just by running the ball & throwing to Njoku all game. Need a dominant X.

Cooper has 1250 yards at 17.5 per reception with 5 different QBs.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Cooper has 1250 yards at 17.5 per reception with 5 different QBs.
I appreciate you that you know I was right by just focusing on that statement & nothing else from that post.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Yup. The point of this is just to establish where the option of taking MHJ at 4 ranks for the board overall. Because if it is the universally preferred option, we can focus more on either later picks or options if he is gone.
I still can't pick. It depends on the trade down package. I would only pass up on MHJ if he's gone, which makes trading down easy, or it would have to be a very good package to pass up on him. Multiple firsts, a second rounder thrown in, etc, it could make it worth the trade down.

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I chose MHJ but...

Part of me feels like drafting MHJ would be like buying a Ferrari for the school run. It might be fun for the short ride, but you're not making the best use of its abilities.

We run the ball a lot, and when we do pass tight ends feature heavily. We also have an inconsistent QB who's passing beyond 15 yards has been poor for 2 years.

MHJ will be the best player there if still available but this team and scheme may be better served by a top OT. In the same way that a Ferrari is the better vehicle, but if you want to get 5 kids to school the minivan is the smart choice.
I think this is more of an argument against investing a bunch of money into a #2 WR.

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
The “we also have a inconsistent QB who’s passing 15 yards” is what really gets me.

So, just not draft a WR at all??? lmao like what?
I like the ability to be multiple that I feel MHJ brings. He can win in multiple ways. He can help in the run game with his size. He has a varied route tree. A lot of interesting combo s you can run with MHJ and McBride which can keep safeties back and create better matchups for the other WRs.

And none of this means Alt isn't a good prospect, I just feel MHJ is a better one.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
My argument against trading down is that you don't often have the opportunity to draft the best prospect, at a position of need, and a position that is a roster priority. Kinda a perfect storm of matching.
The flip side is no matter how much a guy is "can't miss," there's always the possibility of a bust pick.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I like the ability to be multiple that I feel MHJ brings. He can win in multiple ways. He can help in the run game with his size. He has a varied route tree. A lot of interesting combo s you can run with MHJ and McBride which can keep safeties back and create better matchups for the other WRs.

And none of this means Alt isn't a good prospect, I just feel MHJ is a better one.
All of this.

This is just a case of folks starting to overthink themselves. Is there a universe where Alt has a better career than MHJ? Sure. I just don’t think it’s likely.

Would I also be more than fine with Alt ONLY if MHJ is already gone? Absolutely.

However, if we get MHJ, I believe Kingsley out of BYU would be a great pick with our 2nd or 3rd pick. Move him back to RT & Paris to LT & I think that would be excellent.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
My argument against trading down is that you don't often have the opportunity to draft the best prospect, at a position of need, and a position that is a roster priority. Kinda a perfect storm of matching.
Although I don’t necessarily want a WR, I agree with your statement.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
agree. was much the same last year though...however MHJ and Alt being there provides some insurance...with the depth at the two positions it is likely we could get a viable starter at both positions within the first three picks....so while I may covet Harrison I wont be upset should we pick Alt and target a different WR

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson