For All Mankind (AppleTV+)

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
Do we really not have a thread for this gem? I swear I remember talking about season 2 with at least Cheese. I can't find it though with either search or browsing the threads. If anyone finds it please tag me and I'll merge this one to it.

We're 4 episodes into S3 right now and I'm really liking it still. It's competing with Ted Lasso for my favorite ATV+ show. Everything about it is solid.

I'm still a bit shocked from the last image of S3E4 from last night. The effect it gave on my system was amazing. The bass hit along with made it feel like I was that character. It literally shook me for a few minutes.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm on Episode 3 of S3. I still dig the hell out of it, but not loving it quite as much as I did Season 2 so far.

OP
OP
Devilmaycare

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
I'm on Episode 3 of S3. I still dig the hell out of it, but not loving it quite as much as I did Season 2 so far.
I did think S3 started off slow but it's picking up now. I think E4 was on par with anything from S2. A bunch of stuff really clicked for me in it.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I’ve loved this show from the beginning. But I really enjoyed the the first two seasons much more. I don’t know why, but I’m really attracted to shows that take history and make tweaks to it to show an alternative timeline.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have not watched a single episode of this yet. I didn't know what to make of it from the trailers and commercials. I get the premise, but nothing drew me in. I guess I should give it a shot.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I have not watched a single episode of this yet. I didn't know what to make of it from the trailers and commercials. I get the premise, but nothing drew me in. I guess I should give it a shot.
I don’t know why I eventually watched it as I was never that interested in the space race. But I’ve thought it’s been great. Really surprised me.

OP
OP
Devilmaycare

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
I put off watching it until after S2 aired due to the marketing. I don't think the initial marketing did the show justice. From it I had the impression that the show was only about the US panicking after loosing the Moon and making all the astronauts female. And that impression was wrong. Bringing in women astronauts, while a big story line, is only one of the story lines and the writers did it in a pretty natural way. It wasn't a heavy handed, beat you over the head messaging. The show has really good writers and hopefully other writers can use it as an example of how to weave in social messaging without being overbearing.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I put off watching it until after S2 aired due to the marketing. I don't think the initial marketing did the show justice. From it I had the impression that the show was only about the US panicking after loosing the Moon and making all the astronauts female. And that impression was wrong. Bringing in women astronauts, while a big story line, is only one of the story lines and the writers did it in a pretty natural way. It wasn't a heavy handed, beat you over the head messaging. The show has really good writers and hopefully other writers can use it as an example of how to weave in social messaging without being overbearing.
For me it had nothing to do with women astronauts or anything. I just watched the trailers and thought meh. Imaginary timeline about the space race. Didn't seem interesting at all. However, now that everybody has been hyping this I am going to check it out. I think the marketing was horrible which is why I didn't care to watch it.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This season has definitely gotten better as it’s gone on, but it had big footsteps to follow from the majesty of Season 2.

That was peak peak TV.

OP
OP
Devilmaycare

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
This season has definitely gotten better as it’s gone on, but it had big footsteps to follow from the majesty of Season 2.

That was peak peak TV.
I agree about S2 being peak. S3 has been a bit uneven to me and has been a little too soap opera. It's mainly the Danny plot line. I just haven't found it entertaining. Maybe we'll get a good payoff to it but right now it's dragging the season down to me. I'm at the point where I just want to see him get killed off so that story line ends.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
though this season doesn’t have the driving plot line making it surge forward like S2, but it’s still such a great character drama above all else.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Started watching it. It's has a slow burn out of the gate for sure. Only on episode 3 but hoping it picks up.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It did! I'm surprised they left so many loose ends though. S4 is either not going to have a time jump or we're going to have to get a bit of exposition.
Last shot of the season had the 2003 Chyron, so we’re looking at another 8 year jump next season.

OP
OP
Devilmaycare

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
Last shot of the season had the 2003 Chyron, so we’re looking at another 8 year jump next season.
I know that end scene had that little jump to show those 2 chars but they did leave a lot hanging. I'm hoping that they'll still cap off those stories somehow and not just with exposition. It's a TV show so I'd rather see it than be told about it.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know that end scene had that little jump to show those 2 chars but they did leave a lot hanging. I'm hoping that they'll still cap off those stories somehow and not just with exposition. It's a TV show so I'd rather see it than be told about it.
I think we’ll see what we did this season, which started with a whirlwind news sequence taking us through everything we missed in the jump.

OP
OP
Devilmaycare

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
Edit: moved comment into a spoiler tag since it might be a minor one on the last episode. Also added another Ed comment.

The shot of Ed walking near the end was a great homage to The Right Stuff to tie the modern back to the Mercury 7. It's great when a show is put together this well. It and BCS are gold standards right now.

Ed surprising everyone by knowing a bit of Korean was also a nice tie back to the comments in S1 about his service in the Korean War.

Last edited:

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
Just finished season three. I absolutely loved the first two seasons. Season 3 felt a little forced at times, plus I didn’t really like either of the Stevens kids‘ characters, but it was still really good. I am a huge Joel Kinnaman fan, Holder (The Killing) is probably one of my top 5 television characters of all time. Cant wait for season 4.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I just finished watching this show earlier this month. IDK what I thought the show was originally--someone mentioned it may be a documentary about space--so it didn't catch my interest. When I heard the basic premise and got free Apple TV for a time, I dove right in. Loved it.

OP
OP
Devilmaycare

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
I just finished watching this show earlier this month. IDK what I thought the show was originally--someone mentioned it may be a documentary about space--so it didn't catch my interest. When I heard the basic premise and got free Apple TV for a time, I dove right in. Loved it.

Sounds like crossed wires with the person you originally talked to. There was a 1989 documentary with the same name about the moon race. It was really good too if you're a space geek.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is fantastic. The Mrs and I have 3 free months of Apple TV+ and we've been watching about 2 eps a night since we started about a week and a half ago. We just started S3 last night.

They really didn't market this well, although it's a little tough to convey what exactly this is. You really just have to throw caution to the wind and jump on board for the ride. The characters are phenomenal followed closely by the excellent writing. The subtle alt-history tidbits they throw in are like little Easter eggs dispersed throughout the series.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree about S2 being peak. S3 has been a bit uneven to me and has been a little too soap opera. It's mainly the Danny plot line. I just haven't found it entertaining. Maybe we'll get a good payoff to it but right now it's dragging the season down to me. I'm at the point where I just want to see him get killed off so that story line ends.

Danny is creepy af.